iPad Red Conquest - (by Cat in a Box Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by wootbean, Dec 12, 2009.

1. LeopardGecko

LeopardGecko Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2010
    Male
    Addictions
    Colorado
    #1021 LeopardGecko, Apr 12, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2010
    Heh, I still think we should get a kamikaze unit. xD I'm loving the other ship ideas John, nice work. :)

Anyone up for a game? I need to get my daily butt kicking. :p

2. Xilent Rain

Xilent Rain Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Student
    Here
    Whoaa my dreams another red unit could come true hehe!!! The dreadnought idea sounds brilliant.
    More devs should be like you John. I will be on too if anyone wants to play

3. The Bat Outta Hell

The Bat Outta Hell Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    Mr. Kooistra, could you possibly fit the feature of seeing playernames ingame when selecting their unit? Far too many times I've accused the wrong person of rushing me :p

4. jakooistra

jakooistra Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2009
    Video Game Designer
    Canada
    If you're talking about level music still playing when you either:
    -have a connection to the game lobby host fail
    -spectate on a game in progress, then leave

then yes, I know about it.

If it's another sound state problem, let me know and I'll add it to the list.

5. The Bat Outta Hell

The Bat Outta Hell Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    Even though you got rid of most of the white screen problems, it still pops up rarely for me. Very inconvenient if it's during multiplayer.

Also, are the Escape challenges actually possible? :p

6. jakooistra

Jan 19, 2009
    Video Game Designer
    Canada
    for sure, that's on my todo list. I'll put it in the next-next update.

I just submitted the next update, with some more balance tweak issues, and a fix for the maxplayers-less-than-8 level selection bug, as well as a few other tweaks.

7. jakooistra

Jan 19, 2009
    Video Game Designer
    Canada
    oh right, one thing was pretty inportant for you online players:

when you go to the online game screen, and there's only one server, it will automatically log you in to that server. Instead of "join" it will then say "play", and instead of "connected users" it will say "other users", subtracting one because you're not really interested in a server with one player in it, when that player is yourself.

:)

hopefully, this will mitigate the problem (just a little bit) of users clicking into the online system, seeing that there's nobody available to play, and clicking away.

8. onewithchaos

onewithchaos Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    California
    it's a different one. I'll change the sound setting even on single player mode and exit the game and when I go back sound settings are on default. This happens even if I save the state. Pretty much if I turn off sound all the way down everytime I restart the game it goes back to default

9. 5duc29

5duc29 Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2009
    It would be nice to see "Capture the flag" in multiplayer. It will be interesting to watch.

Just two maps would work for that. No need to rush ;)

Also, is there a way to see how many wins and losses online?

Options for landscape mode?

10. starmonkey101

starmonkey101 Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2009
    FLA, USA
    bought last night. havent played at all though. eager to play tonight :)

11. Foehammer117

Foehammer117 Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2010
    Able seaman
    Sweden
    #1031 Foehammer117, Apr 13, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2010
    So its in this thread that al the actions happen :p
    think I got some catching up to do.

John, I have posted a few coments on catinabox, maybe you have read them maybe you have not. so I post them hear agian, just to be sure!

I find that red conquest, crashes allot when I try to find friends. 10-15 times in a couple of minutes :S

I don't know if its relevant, but maybe it is. every time it crashed I search for "]" or "[". thought you should know.

Maybe this can be solved with the awesome "mind concealer" that you talked about but I post this anyway:

one: I often find it really annoying that red has no scout. I don't think it needs one, why not just increase the sight radius for the red Cruiser? to something like 250-270?

two: when the battle is tense, its sometimes hard to see everything clearly, sure you can zoom out, but then vital information about units disappear, like there health bars and there fighter bars, why not have three "stages", if you have zoomed in you see al stats, (health/fighter bars, fighters flying around) when you have zoomed out you don't see any stats. But when you are in an in-between mode you only see health/fighter bars. (no fighters flying around.)

12. Foehammer117

Jan 15, 2010
    Able seaman
    Sweden
    But naaah, you got enough to do at the moment :p

And I think the "Dreadnought ship that is born small, but grows over time " is really cool. How about some kind of warning for the enemy (maybe by sound?) when the Dreadnought is being built? so you got time to counter the red.

Counter to Vingdoloras I think that more units to red will make the game better. Sure the red should be simple, but with a Dreadnought and a MC (mind concealer) it will still be simple only with more depth and ways to play red. so cheap it up and thx for the best RTS on iphone!

13. Foehammer117

Jan 15, 2010
    Able seaman
    Sweden
    How about planets on online multiplayer? could work really well on the map "one vs many"?

14. h0130j03

h0130j03 Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    well i guess invisibilty is for red then. love the dreadnought by the way!

15. jakooistra

Jan 19, 2009
    Video Game Designer
    Canada
    I've got plans for planetary defense levels, not sure when I'll get around to them, but here are the ideas:

-Planet defense: each player gets their own planet, at less than full health. They can heal it, over time, or go on the warpath.
    -Epic (fewer players / larger maps, the "fourth tent pole", small players/maps (basic arena), large players/maps (pinwheel, etc), small maps many players (pipeline) )

The previous suggestion of CTF, I can't see how I would make it work with the current play balance - Red Conquest is more about blockading and standoffs than hit-and-run.

let me know if you want to see anything else. :)

16. jakooistra

Jan 19, 2009
    Video Game Designer
    Canada
    Again, no promises - a lot of these ideas are really interesting, but without a lot of serious thought the unit balances aren't going to change any time soon -

that being said, any and all suggestions will be taken into account, I love what I've heard so far! Your input is invaluable. :)

17. h0130j03

h0130j03 Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    haha glad you like my idea! and ya, i think concealment should work even with fog-of-war off. and of course no promises, i know

18. Vingdoloras

Vingdoloras Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2009
    To ask again, do you plan on adding another (or even more) color(s)?

19. jakooistra

Jan 19, 2009
    Video Game Designer
    Canada
    Not now, and definitely not in the next two episodic updates.

If more colors come out, they'll likely be introduced in another game first, but I have no plans for new color-factions at this point. :)

20. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    Wow, I missed out on this game since release, glad I saw this thread. I am a big fan of blue attack, can't wait to give this one a spin.