iPad Red Conquest - (by Cat in a Box Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by wootbean, Dec 12, 2009.

1. randomdude

randomdude Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2009
    Alrite the best strategy if you have a big number of battleships is to line them up in a line and have them march to the opponent and it's basically the Napoleon Tactic I read about and it works very good in this game.

2. Vingdoloras

Vingdoloras Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2009
    Napoleon tactic? Btw I opened a tactics disdussion thread in the game discussion forum

3. Vingdoloras

Vingdoloras Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2009
    Oh, I want to say 2 things:
    If you want to practice Micromanaging, open a multiplayer match, close range mode, donut level. Activate two AIs, give them the player IDs 7 and 6. Give yourself ID 1. This will spawn you all in the same distance to each other.
    When the game starts, quickly move your base onto the resource ring in the middle. The AIs will send their bases in, too. Quickly start building whatever you prefer (i usually do 2 harvesters, then foundry, then more harvesters. Then I order the foundry to build battleships). The AI wont wait, so be careful. If one of your units is nearly dead, send it out of battle and heal it. Build more and more combat units and kill as many enemy units as possible, the finally surround and overpower one base. Do the same with the other one.

Second thing:
    Plz answer my question about the soundtrack john :D

4. zatoichi

zatoichi Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2009
    Playing on a 1st generation iphone, and no problems here either....

5. aloepar1

aloepar1 Well-Known Member

May 26, 2009
    USA
    For someone whose only experience with RTS is Robocalypse and did not enjoy it,what do you think, should I get it? The main thing with Robocalypse was that there were too many things happening all around and had to be moving from left to right, up and down inside this big map, basically it was too much for me. So I don't know if the problem was either Robocalypse or that I suck at RTS games.

6. diffusion8r

diffusion8r Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Termina
    Don't like RTSes but this one has such a nice look to it. Will pick it up on/after xmas fo' sho.

And @Jakooistra, how about a 'Blue' compilation?

7. DaDramaLlama

DaDramaLlama Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2009
    Eliminate Waitingville
    John, this is the best RTS on the platform but here's why I'm worried for this game. Ep. 2 won't be out til march. By then NOVA,AC 2, and mirrors edge will all be out. I'm afraid that by march this won't be the my most played app. You guys need to somehow find a way to get Confession out before March

8. sebasterbator

sebasterbator Well-Known Member

I just finished this game.... and all i can say is wow.

It's hard to explain how awesome this game is, and how much work that was put into it is amazing. I love how much attention was paid to detail, from zooming in and out, to unit management, to the different options of building units(build while idle, all units build unit X). Its just amazing.

There are so many things I love about this game that so many others have left behind. Basic things like zooming are handled amazingly. "How can zooming be made good" you may say "It's just making things smaller/bigger". John here takes it to a new level. The fact that when you zoom in all the way(which is quite the zoom level) the attention to detail does not parish. No sign of pixels anywhere (im looking at you, fieldrunners), and when you zoom out, the ships change to little "avatars". You don't see the health/fighters because at that level of zoom all you're looking for is where the units are, then you quickly zoom to see the battle and micromanage.

I love how the red and blue factions are ACTUALLY DIFFERENT. I'm so tired of having two factions and they look different, but the stats are exactly the same. *cough*rogue planet*cough*

The whole game is amazing. Personally I'm not a big fan of RTS games since I'm usually to slow, but this game is just a must have by any gamer. The graphics are amazing, the sound is amazing and the controls are amazing.

I enjoyed the cut scenes immensely. It's cool how you're trying to figure out what/why things are happening and much more then "ah, these guys are evil and are killing us because they are evil".

I can't wait for the next episodes and by the teaser I saw after completing the game, the next one looks like it's going to be amazing.

9. 5duc29

5duc29 Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2009
    That's what I was thinking. I was thinking some time in January. Otherwise, it'll be three months away and games on the ipod usually last a week at most :( plus there are always a good amount of games coming out every week..

10. randomdude

randomdude Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2009
    you should know. When you lined up all of your units in a line or two then march them into the enemy and crush them with your superior number, superior firepower, and if the base is heavily guarded your superior flanking manuveours. You can decimate the enemy in no time with that strategy unless they kill you first ;)

11. airhead3

airhead3 Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2009
    I have to disagree - I love how the story is told without dialogue, and I think the art style works well. It shouldn't look the same as in-game art, as the latter is world-scale. Don't be too hasty in changing course for the updates, John! ;)

Enjoying the game so far, but man that learning curve is steep after the first couple of missions!

12. slorkluk

slorkluk New Member

Dec 12, 2009
    There are some things that I would really love to have changed for this game, solely for the purpose of improving its overall quality.

Please don't tell me that I have to keep paying $4 for every new episode that you release. The game was like 1 hour long and super easy. If at all possible, make it like 2-3 hours long, with varying missions, like guarding a convoy, spy missions, sabotage missions, point capture missions, etc.;just vary the different things to do to make the game longer and more engaging. Also, the cinematics were terrible; absolutely discombobulated storyline, we really have no friggin idea what is going on. While a couple lines of the character dialogue was nicely written, most of it just left you wondering “what the hell is going on?”. Also, if you can't improve the cutscenes artwork yourself, hire some guy that knows how to draw some artwork and just make a comic book style thing, at least. If you want to make a flash animation cutscene, please invest more time into it and boost its quality, otherwise, completely remove it and just have the character dialogue instead. The rest of the game is fantastic, the only problem with the whole game is the entire campaign which is horrid.

The only reason I’m being so negative is because I want to game to be even better. This is THE best RTS game I have played on the iPhone. This is one of the grandest games to grace this platform. However, the campaign falls flat on its face and stabs itself several times over, and I deeply wish for this game to be so much better in this regard. So please, pay attention to the quality of the single player experience for a story, because this game completely lacks a cohesive one.

Thank you.

13. Mew2468

Mew2468 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    Episodes 2, 3, and 4 will be completely free updates to Red Conquest. Also . . .

14. airhead3

airhead3 Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Quick Question:

In the mission select screen for the campaign, once you tap a mission, it shows three icons:
    An icon of the mission (same as in the campaign overview), a trophy, and a green "Play" triangle.

So, maybe I'm just missing something, but what is the difference between tapping the mission icon (left) and tapping the green play icon (right)?? It seems to me they both start the mission...
    :confused:

15. Kunning

Kunning Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2009
    John, props on such a great game. It's definitely a must have strategy game, and the RTS that we've all been waiting for. Review should be up soon. :)

16. smartguy911

smartguy911 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    I think im finally starting to get the hang of this game :). Tons of fun. Psyched for online multiplayer.

17. The Bat Outta Hell

The Bat Outta Hell Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    Awesome strategy game!

Once you figure it out, it's just completely awesome.

The cutscenes are a little :confused: to me.

18. DGH94

DGH94 Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2009
    Next to the Maiden
    Complete awesomeness here. EASILY, EASILY worth $4.

19. smartguy911

smartguy911 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    I agree with bat about the whole cutscene thing, I dont really understand what the heck is going on :p.

I would also really enjoy something like a protect the planet mode to play against ai's, where you try to capture each others planets. Or like a capture the planet sort of thing, have like 4 planets and have to conquer all of them. That would be a blast!

20. jakooistra

jakooistra Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2009
    Video Game Designer
    Canada
    All updates will be free. :)

pay $4 now, get 3 more episodes and tons of other stuff later. :)