iPad Red Conquest - (by Cat in a Box Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by wootbean, Dec 12, 2009.

1. jakooistra

jakooistra Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2009
    Video Game Designer
    Canada
    lol, no difference. :)

That was a last minute change, originally the level icon on the left did nothing, and it confused the testers.

How would you reorganize it, out of curiousity?

2. EmpReb

EmpReb Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2009
    School
    SP Intersceptor
    Note I have not bought the game yet but this is like Sins of the Solar Empire for the Touch. :eek: When I get Christmas Itunes cards this will be first on my buys list. This game is the best RTS game I heard about being on the Idevice. Sorry Galcon but there is a new king in town and if the dev even thinks about online adding an online mod....well Galcon's last nails in the coffin are hammered. (Note, I love Galcon but this game, well I died when I saw it on youtube. :D )

3. The Bat Outta Hell

The Bat Outta Hell Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    One thing I'd like for sure is making the red and blue team a darker color like your first two games. Right now the reds look salmon colored.

Is there a reason this was changed? I loved the original colors.

4. jakooistra

Jan 19, 2009
    Video Game Designer
    Canada
    that's a good idea! I'll put it on my list for future level types. I agree that there should be some planet protection stuff going on in multiplayer.

5. jakooistra

Jan 19, 2009
    Video Game Designer
    Canada
    You know, I've been thinking something was a little off.

It's either the fact that the background is actual colors now, causing hover saturation of green and blue, or it could be a bug in the color calculation code I put in (see the faction color screen hue slider).

I'll check into it for you. :)

6. The Bat Outta Hell

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    Awesome, thanks! =D

7. iamBone

iamBone Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2009
    So, out of curiosity, jakooistra, which faction is your favourite?

8. smartguy911

smartguy911 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    awesome :]. Looking forward to it.

9. airhead3

airhead3 Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2009
    I would say the left icon (the mission icon) isn't necessary, as the green play button is a fairly universal (and obvious) symbol. If it's just the trophy and the play button, that would probably make the most sense to me...any other thoughts?

10. sebasterbator

sebasterbator Well-Known Member

Any tips for using blue? I seem to just not due well with them, but im fine when i use red. Any suggestions?

11. darwiniandude

darwiniandude Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Brilliant game. Well worth the price. Thanks! :)

12. Eraser74

Eraser74 Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Hamburg
    That´s what I would do too. The mission button is pretty useless and could be completely removed.

13. 5duc29

5duc29 Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2009
    They're pretty much the same as red, except the healing process. Try getting those healers and have them follow your blue guys when attacking, it helps them heal. And get those long range cannon shooters, they're helpful. Didn't have a problem with them at all ;)

14. ikemike

ikemike Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2009
    Chicago
    Strange

Oddly enough, I purchased this game under the impression that I wouldn't like it as much as Blue Defense. I didn't like Blue Attack much, to be honest, but I liked the developer and was hoping that he'd deliver with Red Conquest. I was mostly thinking, "hey, this developer is cool, maybe he can make an RTS that's good", and that's considering that I usually hate RTSes.

But this one's good. I don't know whether it's the theme, the visuals, the simplicity, or just the fact that it's by this developer, but I like it. Hmm. Although, having a D on every one of your missions except the first two isn't a point of pride. = [

15. sebasterbator

sebasterbator Well-Known Member

Thats the thing, i do that yet i dont do as well. The healer and the long ranger take so many troop tickets. With red i just have so many more troops. Ill keep trying to find some strategy that works for me. :)

16. jakooistra

Jan 19, 2009
    Video Game Designer
    Canada
    Blue has one major difference from Red, aside from not healing naturally:

Their units cost almost half as much, but take almost twice as long to build! So it is very important to have more building capacity as blue, but less important to have more resource collectors, or to control as many resource points in multiplayer.

As blue, try building a foundry first, then a resource collector, then another foundry, and start cranking out the units from that.

Blue also has trouble recovering from damage - since red builds faster, it's not a problem to recover as long as you have extra resources. If you're playing blue, you need to protect your builders at all costs! So if you like building the monitor cannons, don't put your carriers in harm's way.

It's hard for me to choose! I think I like the feeling of the red troops - they're menacing, and they have a simple build system - only the battleship can't be built from the base. It's a great faction to just pick up and swarm the enemy.

On the other hand, Blue has cleaner graphics - more recognizable ship design, and very pleasing to my eye. I think I really like the detail Victor put into things - like the resource triangle icon on the back of the harvester! And Blue allows for deeper strategy - Red is all about overpowering, but Blue requires a bit more finesse in a real multiplayer battle. That being said, sometimes I don't like coming up with complicated strategies! :p

Depending on my mood, I'd choose red, but overall I think I prefer to play as Blue. :)

Red seems to saturate at (255, 170, 170), and in the old game it was closer to (255, 127, 127). :(

So it was definitely a deeper red before! Now that I think about it, I think Victor pointed it out months ago, and I either ignored it or dismissed it as being "okay"...

I'll put it on my list of things to do for an early update. :) It'll be a pretty easy fix, and then a lot of eyeballing to make sure it looks okay.

17. Noman

Noman Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2009
    I got this game and I am loving it. The learning curve is definitely steeper than either of jakooistra's previous games but now that I am used to it it is easy to use. The best way I can describe this game is complex, yet elegant. Right now it is the best rts on the appstore.

18. beachmusic

beachmusic Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2009
    This dev is a genius :) You are able to pull off an amazing original rts and is very much console worthy. This game spellbinds me and Clearly this is the best RTS for the iPhone by a mile! I hope we see online multiplayer coz it will be a dream come true for me :)

19. Ace_97

Ace_97 Well-Known Member

I was thinking at first what was so great about the game. I haven't tried the dev's other games so i guess i can't judge. Anyone want to give me good reasons to get this game? To make it clear, new episodes for this game will be free right?

20. The Bat Outta Hell

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    Awesome! :D

Was the blue the same color?