Universal Reiner Knizia's Labyrinth HD [v1.1 Universal $2.99 sale]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by goiMot, Dec 11, 2010.

1. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Yes and no.

It is tile laying like Carcassonne and it is solo, but it is not anything like the Carcassonne solo mode of making the bigger and bigger structures in succession or whatever.

The best analogy I could think of is taking the concept of Carcassonne "fields" but turning it into a winding branching path that you want to lead to the exit and through lots of goodies while avoiding the baddies (like they show in picture 1 with that monster on the right side wall being completely sealed off from the maze).

2. BazookaTime

BazookaTime Well-Known Member

LordGek just mentioned the part about the boards, so I will mention the cards. Since the cards you get are going to be in a random order, the game will have endless replay. Once you drop a card onto the board, you can spin it any direction you want, this also changes things up. Not to mention that you can drop a card anywhere on the board, it does not have to connect to a card but you have to fill the board and have a path to the exit to clear.

I had the third maze beat and I blocked myself from the exit because I didn't pay attention.

This is really one of the best games I have played.

3. torulf

torulf Well-Known Member

May 5, 2010
    BazookaTime: let your wife play a level of Labyrinth, and you won't get your iPad (or your wife) back for several hours..

At least that's the experience the whole Tribeflame team had during development.

4. FPE

FPE Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    World, now Belgium
    Good to know!

5. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    No problem, it was also posted to iTunes.

6. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    Hmmm.... might make for a nice bribe... :p

7. torulf

torulf Well-Known Member

May 5, 2010
    Thank you, that helps!

8. FPE

FPE Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    World, now Belgium
    I was thinking the same!!!

9. torulf

torulf Well-Known Member

May 5, 2010
    And I'm wondering if it is PC to make a banner ad saying "Will keep your girlfriend occupied for hours" and post it here and over at BGG?

10. CzarCastic

CzarCastic Well-Known Member

Ah man, you guys are bad for my wallet. :(. I was just going to wish list this one for awhile, but after reading the reviews by BT and LG, I can't pass it up now. -$5 for me. ;)

11. Touchgamer3g

Touchgamer3g Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Being that I'm a girl, love labyrinth, love Carcasonne, and have an iPad, I feel I am obligated to give this a try!

12. torulf

torulf Well-Known Member

May 5, 2010
    Touchgamer3g: great! Please let us know what you think of it.

13. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    Hmm.... don't know - see what Touchgamer3g thinks about it.. Myself, I think it is maybe pushing a bit.

I think a better marketing strategy would be to hype a bit about how much it appeals to women directly. Certainly the majority are guys, but my wife has certain games that she loves (Words With Friends especially), and this type of game certainly does not have a direct male appeal (the sterotypic - blow everything up, and kill everything, and have lots of zombies)..

However - I have no idea what sorts of banner ads appeal to women. Anyways, good luck!

14. Touchgamer3g

Touchgamer3g Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2009
    I just fired this up and got sucked in almost instantly. It took me a few tries to get the hang of it but once I did, I could not stop playing! Everything from the controls to the background music are perfectly executed. I just beat the Hedge Maze with a score of 11690 and therefore unlocked the next pack Castle Ruins. For those of you that were wondering, there are 9 tables in Hedge Maze that you have to beat in order to unlock the next pack.

So I can definitely back that the statement "Will keep your girlfriend busy for hours" is true!

15. Big Albie

Big Albie Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Casual gamer/marketing dude
    San Francisco, California
    The interface and implementation behind Labyrinth is ingenious. I picked this up last night and the game is terrific. The game isn't simply about building paths although that is part of the objective. It's really about planning ahead and containing the monsters that hinder your progress through the realms as I like to call them. The game's simplicity is where Labyrinth shines because it doesn't take long to understand. And yet, the game also forces you to think. This is certainly not a "blow up things" kind of game, and I think its for the more "mature" (meaning seasoned) gamer.

If you're on the fence, hopefully my thoughts help make your decision. Aside from the lack of directions which is really the only thing I can ding the game for, Labyrinth deserves 5 stars. And hopefully, the game gets some well-deserved attention.

16. CzarCastic

This is a great game! I love the solo play and strategic aspect of it. I keep making stupid moves, otherwise I would have progressed much further by now. I'd love to see more variety in the tiles. I also have a few complaints about recording your high scores. First, it doesn't remember the name of the person that recorded the last high score, so you have to retype our name after every game. Additionally, if you close the keyboard before you type your name, you can't get the keyboard to come back, so you're stuck with "Enter Your Name" as the name on the records. Also, this game is a high score game, it MUST have leader boards...preferably Game Center. If the devs address these few minor scoring issues and add in online leader boards, this game will be perfect. As is, it's still a must have for anybody that enjoys playing solo style strategy games.

17. CzarCastic

Please see my comments above. And, please, please add in some sort of online leaderboards!

18. Qordobo

Qordobo Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    I don't understand where are the zombies and how fights work. :eek:

19. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    In the hedge maze or later levels?

20. Qordobo

Qordobo Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    Whooo there are really zombies and fights? Then I must have this game! ;)