iPad Reiner Knizia's Tigris & Euphrates

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by codito, Nov 15, 2011.

1. codito

codito Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2009
    iPhone developer
    #41 codito, Dec 21, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2011
    Yes, your holiday wish has been granted! :)

Tigris & Euphrates is on sale for $3.99!

Incidentally, T&E has also been recommended as one of the Top 5 iPad Board Games you can gift this Christmas by the fine folks at MakeUseOf.com

However and wherever you celebrate, we want to wish you and yours a safe and happy holiday and thank you for your support.

We've got exciting plans for 2012, and we look forward to telling you more in the new year!

Happy gaming!

2. Pedroapan

Pedroapan Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2010
    Hi Codito, and thank you for an exceptional game!

Well since it now in fact is a new year, do care to tell us about your plans?;)

//Pedroapan

3. Fractalrock

Fractalrock Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2010
    #43 Fractalrock, Jan 17, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
    Just purchased the game and I think I am really going to like it. I have two concerns though. The first one is that my tiles at the top sometimes seem to go invisible. They are there if I touch where they were just showing but its a little confusing nonetheless. The second issue I've already figured out. I wasn't paying enough attention to the tutorial. :)

4. codito

codito Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2009
    iPhone developer
    Version 1.2 was just approved by Apple for sale:

Updated
    - added ability to create "custom" online games (setup options, add AI, etc.)
    - added asynchronous chat for online games
    - added setup option for "Exact tiles left"
    - added setup option for "Public tiles" (for open play, teaching, etc.)
    - flipped iPhone/iPod display to avoid iOS5 notification shutter and improve left-handed play
    - added tiles to out-of-turn display of own info on iPhone/iPod
    - added tiles (possibly only tile backs) to display for other players on iPhone/iPod
    - added prompt before resetting stats
    - improved "Rematch" for online games

Fixed
    - bug with conflict not resolving for online games
    - bug allowing multiple leaders of the same color to exist in rare circumstances
    - bug with passing
    - bug with simultaneous treasure choice and monument completion
    - bug with tap to place for Catastrophe tiles
    - bug with placeholder player names in online games
    - bug with tap to place in Tutorial
    - missing Retina display image for tile placement crosshairs
    - bug temporarily revealing opponent tiles when switching between online games
    - app badge number when other player quits

5. kevlar x

kevlar x Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Wales,uk
    I've installed the upade but can't see any way to chat?

6. Arges

Arges Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2011
    Game Developer
    Hello Codito,

There seems to be a glitch on the current version where Rematch doesn't work on local games - every time I try it, the stage re-loads but remains frozen, without either you being able to do anything nor the enemy AIs taking action. Are you aware of this issue?

7. Riotgirl

Riotgirl Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2012
    UK
    Only 5 pages of discussions!?

I have broken my Reiner Knizia cherry through buying Tigris & Euphrates. My first European board game experience should come as no surprise: Settlers of Catan. Thanks to the iPad (and the enthusiasm of TouchArcade forum members), I have discovered the joys of board-gaming once more.

Whilst Tigris & Euphrates is not a simple game, it is deep and extremely elegant. In particular:

• All leaders must be placed adjacent to a Temple tile
      You only score points for leaders on the board
      The highest lowest score across all 4 spheres wins

What I enjoy is the ebb and flow and fluidity of the game. Leaders are placed, revolts happen, leaders are removed, leaders are placed in different locations, et al. All the while, one must remember that it is the lowest score across all 4 spheres that determines one's overall score.

This rule adds to the ebb and flow of the game, especially when wars break out and victory points can be snatched.

I initially read the rules, played the excellent tutorial and then played a 4 player game (myself and 3 AIs on the lowest setting). Total and utter wipe! I kept getting confused with how a conflict is classified as a revolt and when it is classified as a war.

The 2nd game was better, but I was still confused and my overall play was patchy.

I re-read the rules and re-played the tutorial again, and won my 3rd game! The key to winning was switching my play after the 1st third of the game (after my Priest was continually trying - and failing - to re-gain his/her rightful position in my Kingdom through revolts), and realising that there is more than one way to skin a cat re: war! I eventually succeeded with my revolt much, much later in the game, and played a cautious consolidation game (particularly with my monument - in fact, the game was very light on monuments) towards the end, forcing the end by swapping my tiles.

I haven't even begun to scratch the surface in terms of developing a strategy. I'm still getting a feel for the rules (particularly needing to remind myself of the difference methods of how a revolt and war are resolved), and starting to become more fluid in my approach.

Also, I was/am captivated by Mesopotamia - and the clarion call of antiquity.

A thoroughly absorbing game, which is immensely polished on the iPad.

8. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Well put, makes me want to dig it up and play it again (although, to be honest, I never had a firm grasp on it then so it will be me and low level AI for quite a few games).

9. Riotgirl

Riotgirl Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2012
    UK
    BGG Review

Read a review or two over at BGG that contained an excellent simile to describe the differences between an internal conflict and an external conflict: the former is the [political] struggle to retain control and influence; the latter destroying infrastructure and the capacity to wage war.

Internal conflict is a precursor to external conflict through winning control and influence to support (supporting tiles) an external conflict.

Viewed through the above prism, one's whole perception changes. Victory in an internal conflict provides 1 red VP. Whereas, victory in an external conflict provides 1 VP in the colour of the leader disposed (removed from the board) and 1 VP for each supporting tile removed of that colour.

Throw in using external conflicts to split Kingdoms, the resolution order of conflicts, as well as the use of catastrophes, and the depth and complexity begin to unravel before one's eyes - rather than tile and leader placement appearing to be a random agglomeratization.

I'm looking forward to my next game to see if I can incorporate this understanding into my play, as well as analysing the moves made by the AI and thinking ahead.

10. popaj

popaj New Member

Aug 17, 2012
    When we can expect support for iPhone 5?

11. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Frankly, I still cannot get into winning the game. Any good read for newbies?

12. currymutton

Oct 16, 2008
    Still waiting for reply...

13. cprloe

cprloe Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Katy, Texas USA
    Have you tried the How to Play Podcast for Tigris & Euphrates by Ryan Sturm? It's a very good primer on the game and all of Sturm's podcasts are excellent. One added bonus for the T&E podcast is that there is also a video version.

http://howtoplaypodcast.com/episodes/episodes-1-10/episode-5-tigris-and-euphrates/

14. currymutton

Oct 16, 2008
  15. Pedroapan

Aug 25, 2010
    Hi.

Any plans on updating this beauty with the double-sided board and the advanced rules? My cardboard copy which I bought after trying the app doesn't get that much table time due to my group, so implementing these things would give me a chance to try them out.

Thanks.

Pedroapan

16. codito

codito Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2009
    iPhone developer
    Yes, we're currently working on the second map (IAP) along with some bug fixes and additional features including iPad Retina support. Advanced rules will likely have to wait for a future update.

Happy gaming!

17. Pedroapan

Aug 25, 2010
    #57 Pedroapan, Feb 26, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
    Yey!

Perhaps supporting iPhone 5 as well? Do you have an ETA on this update?

Thanks for your quick reply!
    Pedroapan

18. codito

codito Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2009
    iPhone developer
    No plans for iPhone 5 support yet (too much effort for not enough reward in terms of making the game somehow better) but we hope to have the new map and other updates ready by the end of March.

Happy gaming!

19. saiyukialex

saiyukialex Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    Shanghai, China
    This is really a bad news. I don't want to play games those do not support iPhone 5 wide screen. :(

20. Pedroapan

Aug 25, 2010
    Hi Codito,

How is the update progressing? Can you tell us something about the new board? Is it the other side of the double sided board on the physical game, or is it a "new" map?

How much is it going to cost?
    //Pedroapan