Universal REKT! 60 FPS tricks based racer.

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Muppetpuppet, Jul 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Knik

Knik Active Member

Sep 18, 2017
    Amsterdam
    Hey Fish, thanks for the feedback! I'm one of the devs on this game and I'm sure the other guys will be happy to read your comment about the app icon, I've been an advocate for the more simplistic look. ;) We'll look into it!

Your feelings about the lack of progression resonate with me as well. We looked into having a changing arena but opted for one arena with challenges that become harder over time. Note: We are still working on the later (more difficult) challenges. We also wanted to add challenges that will unlock new parts/jumps in the current arena but those are not there yet. The series of rings challenge you suggested will be in the game in the form of a checkpoint race.

Also, adding a new (possible unlockable) arena is high on our wishlist for a future update!

Other game modes like tag with the AI would require a new arena because teaching AI how to do the jumps a real player can do after playing for a little while would be quite the challenge.

If you have any other questions or suggestions please drop them here. :)

2. sYntiq

sYntiq Member

Sep 18, 2017
    Thanks to the devs, I've been playing the beta version too.
    The Game runs smooth on an iPad Pro 10.5 with iOS 11.

Rekt looks great (I love untexturized polygons) and, besides the controls, plays nice and fun. And yeah, tbe cars feels like I am controlling and driving a little RC car.
    The music is okay. Nothing special, but also not annoying.

Actually I´m missing some kind of progression during play. I don´t know if „Complete 3 different Missions every round to get coins, and if you have enough coins: Spin the wheel and with a lot of luck you win a new car or different wheels“ is enough to motivate in the long run.

Unlike Fish Alan, my main critics go to the controls:
    1) They are way to sensitive. If I have to correct the direction of the car just a few degrees mid-air, I cant. The car always starts to spin around wildly.
    2.) The controls didn´t work all the time. Sometimes it happens when I, for example, swipe left, the car does nothing. I have to swipe two or three times until the car starts to spin. Not always, but it happens. I dont know if thats just a bug that apperars on my iPad or if I´m only allowed to swipe in special sections of the screen.
    3.) I suppose the sequence with the falling car when you start the game the first time is the tutorial? I don´t know exactly. It told me to swipe, I swiped and then the car lands at the title screen and i can start the game.. (no, I did not hit the Skip-Button)
    It would be nice if you add an option to repeat this tutorial or at least, show the controls of the game in the options. For example: One missions tells me to use the handbrake but I have absolutely no clue how to use it because the game never told me how…

At the moment I must say this game really is fun, but it is more on the „I see the potential“ side and less on the „Yeah, I want to play this again and again and again“ side.

Dont get me wrong. This all sounds more negative than it should. it IS a fun and great looking game. If you plan to release it for free it is really a no brainer that everyone wo is into this kind of games should try.

Finally: PLEASE add support for MFI-Controllers. It seems that it (at least for me.) could add a lot to the game on the Plus side. Thinking about racing the arena with a controller and precise controls… Woah..then this game could be a real „Must-Have“ for me. :)

BTW: Beisdes my complaints with the controls, I think I found a little Sound Bug: Almost every time the Music switches from Gamesound to Add-Sound there was kind of a short „beep“ or noise when the game-Music stops.
    Sometimes at this „Switch-Moment, he game music stops, starts again for a second, stops again and then the add-sound starts.

3. Knik

Knik Active Member

Sep 18, 2017
    Amsterdam
    Hi sYntiq! Thanks for playing :) I hear you on the progression part. We'll be thinking hard if there is anything we can add in these final days to fix it.

As for the controls: I'm thinking about adding a swipe sensitivity slider but I'm not sure if that's the solution for your issue. (slight rotation corrections). I will do some tests to see if I can find a better way to differentiate between slow/correcting swipes and fast flipping swipes!

Controls not working should not be happening, I've received the comment more often and have done something that might fix this. I'll be sending out a new testflight build tomorrow so I'm curious if it solved anything for you.

Tutorial sequence is prototype and will be updated to explain flipping/stabilizing part of the game better! I'll add an option to repeat it too. As for knowing where the handbrake is; we'll add context sensitive popups that explain what to do during the game when the related challenge is active.

MFI-controllers support is a great suggestion, I'm keeping it on the Trello board for a future update. :)

Curious about the sound bug but not sure what you mean by Add sound?

4. sYntiq

sYntiq Member

Sep 18, 2017
    "Add" not as in "Add a Sound" but in "Watch Add to Spin" for Example.
    When the Game Music should stop and the "Advertising-Video" starts to play, the described Soundbug occures. (Sorry, Don´t know how to describe it better. English is not my mother tongue.)

I will continue to play Rekt and also looking forward to the new Build.

And good to hear that you would at least think about MFI-Support. :)

5. Knik

Knik Active Member

Sep 18, 2017
    Amsterdam
    Ah, of course! Thanks for clearing that up. The bug might be gone in the next version since we removed ads. ;)

6. sYntiq

sYntiq Member

Sep 18, 2017
    I continued playing Rekt yesterday and unlocked some more cars. I think I´m getting more familar with the current controls. Not perfect (as mentioned: sometimes too sensible and sometimes my input wasn´t recognized) but still fun. :)

Is it just me or do the cars all play different? If yes: I like it. Do the wheels change more than the look of the car, too? If yes, it would be nice if you could display what car and what wheels have what characteristics. No, its not necessary at all, but it would be a nice touch. :)

I discovered one odd thing. (at least for me it's odd): Selecting a car: If I swipe right, the car goes of to the left. if I swipe left, the car goes to the right. For me it doesn´t feel right. In my oppinion it should be the other way around.

7. sYntiq

sYntiq Member

Sep 18, 2017
    Played around with the new build for some time now: The Car-Select feels much better now. The controls are are also really improved. The Input is recognized almost every time. (The moment when it is Not, i‘m Not sure if it was my mistake. :) )
    In my opinion there is still room for control-improvement: The brakes: In the moment you can only activate them when the wheels are on the ground. The game wouldn’t even recognize that I want to brake if the car was mid-air and I have tot tap again when the car landed. It would be nice if I can press „brake“ mid-air and right after landing, the car brakes. (For example: I tried to go up the platform with the REKT- letters. I jumped, pressed brake, than the car lands on the Plattform and... doesn’t brake and so falls of the Plattform on the other side....)

And to say something more positive: I really like the changes in the arena. A little bit more to play with. :)

8. Knik

Knik Active Member

Sep 18, 2017
    Amsterdam
    The brakes not working in the air is to make the whole screen available for flipping and spinning swipes. Detecting swipes vs taps takes time and I don't want to have any delay on the swipes. But I'll look into it, there might be another solution! Thanks again for the feedback. : )

9. sYntiq

sYntiq Member

Sep 18, 2017
    Yay. over 380000points for the first time. \o/

Ah, I see. Thats right, the screen should be available for spinning and flipping. :)
    Maybe it helps if you change it just to the followinh behaviour: If i press and hold the "Brake Area" mid-air", don't activate the brakes but as soon as the wheels hit the ground, it should be recognized as "brake". I think that would help.

Currently, if i hit brake and the car is mid air, nothing happens when the car lands. I have to hit brake again to brake. Sometimes it was hard to brake at the wanted moment with this behaviour, because the car could bounce shortly after the anding.

No problem. You invited me to Beta-test so giving my feedback is the least I can do. And: I have still fun playing Rekt. :)

By the way: I have one more thing: Currently, you have 3 missions active at the same time. . If a mission is tooo hard, you can skip it by paying 100coins. (And yes, there were missions I tried 10, 15, 20 times and couldn´t do.) You get coins only by completing missions.
    I didn´t currently run into this, but as a theoretical situation: What happens if I have three missions that are way too hard for my actual skills but I have no money left? (For example: Played a round, finished all three Missions. finally got 1000coins to take a spin. Then start a new round, 3 new Missions appear that are too hard for me even at the 30 try...) For me it seems that this will currently would end in a kind of frustrating "Dead End"

Maybe you could give some coins just for playing. Not many, only as a "fallback". Maybe like 10 coins every 10000 points or something like that.

10. chrisoshea

chrisoshea Active Member

Thanks for adding me to the Rekt beta. I'm really enjoying the game actually, a lot. I keep coming back to it other some of my other faves on my phone. Vehicle physics feel good, I like the risk vs reward with the combos (and the rocket league ball nod :) )

I do think the icon could be a lot better, it just doesn't do the game justice. I think you could make the car bigger, add some colour/pattern to the background to better reflect the style as shown in your youtube thumbnails, maybe some sparks. See the icons for Crash Club and Jet Car Stunts. Just my opinion as a developer.

You should definitely add mifi controls in an update. Also Apple TV universal binary would be awesome (I have AppleTV + mifi controller if you want to test)

i play with music off and just the sound fx. the engine noise rev gets very annoying, as its constant. the noise it makes when driving flat and when flying in the air is the same.

that same noise plays constantly when you land your car upside down, i guess because the wheels are spinning when you are laying on your back.

you've removed ads now? what will the pricing model be?

as a parent, i'd love to see a kids mode / free play mode that just lets them drive around doing tricks, then easily when it ends change car and play again. no need to objectives and coins.

It is very easy to get up on to the outer top rim of the track, I've driven all the way around it. I use the loops to through me up in the air (launching off just before the bend). However when you fall off to the right you fall out of the circuit, the wreck at the bottom. This is frustrating if you are going for a big combo and fly up over the top and land out of bounds. Could you not add colliders to the top wall?

I found a gate that doesn't seem to reset the combo timer, I'll try and take a screenshot. Its on its own between two small ramps. Didn't seem to reset my countdown.

Shouldn't hitting the ball count as a trick to reset your combo.

Great work, look forward to next build. I've collected quite a few cars, will they carry on once I get the App Store version?

11. chrisoshea

chrisoshea Active Member

hi again

Updated to 1.0 (11) and some cars I had unlocked are no longer unlocked, with new cars inserted in the list of cars. I'm guessing you store the number of cars unlocked (1,2,3,4,5) etc so if you add a new car are position 3, previous car 5 is no longer unlocked? Might want to fix that before launch in case you add more cars in the future in the middle of the list not the end.

What other cool stuff did you add? ;)

12. Knik

Knik Active Member

Sep 18, 2017
    Amsterdam
    We've updated the icon in the latest version? It's a bit flashier, possible still not flashy enough. It just can't keep up with the flashyness of the game. ;)

These are high on the list!

We are thinking Tier 2 at the moment.

More game modes are also in the list of things we want to add. Free play mode was actually what it started as but most players wanted more guidance. Free roaming will be back!

I agree, the current way the car reset is very unsatisfying and something needs to be done there.

I'll look at it!

Good idea, extra points for dribbling!

I'll try and make that happen! And before we add more cars I'll make sure cars that were previously unlocked won't be locked again. Only the added cars will be locked in those cases.

13. Knik

Knik Active Member

Sep 18, 2017
    Amsterdam
    Please let me know which missions you find too hard. :) Rewarding coins for other things besides completing challenges should be good yeah.

14. Knik

Knik Active Member

Sep 18, 2017
    Amsterdam
  15. sYntiq

sYntiq Member

Sep 18, 2017
    Heyho.

Played the latest Version yesterday and so far its the best testflight release for me but at the same time also the worst...

Good:
    - Way more time for a run

- Did you increase the Points per Stunt or is it just the time? I find it a lot easier to get high combos. In the previous builds If I got more than 100000points in a run it was something special. Now I get over 100000 points easily. I even managed to get over 1000000 points once.

- It was easier to do a lot of flips after a ramp. In the previous Version I was able to do max 3 flips after a normal ramp. Now I could to 5, 6 or sometimes even 7 flips.

Bad:
    - The "input-problem" returned for me. My Inputs wouldn´t be recognized all the time. Sometimes I have to swipe 3 or 4 times before the command was recognized.

- Sometimes the Combo-Counter resets without any signal like the "Rekt" Letters or the "Uuuh" Voice etc. Sometimes I did a Stunt-Combo and thought "Uh, that would be a hard landing, my combo will be lost...oh, no Rekt? Great, lucky, no Comboreset. Oh, wait..."

- Sometimes I had the feeling some Stunts wouldn´t be recognized every time. For example the barrel roll. I did two Barrel-Rolls: The were added to the counter. I did two barrel rolls again or on another run: not even one was added... it happens rarely but it seems to happen.

- Sometimes I was able to flip the car over while it stands on the ground on all 4 wheels. Is this on purpose? I think this coldn´t be done on the last builds.

- Sometime the controls are more sensitive than in the previous builds. For example: If I want to correct the angle of the car just a little bit before landing, I touch the screen, moved my finger slowly some milimeters and... the car starts to flip around wild. It
    would be nice if I swipe slowly, the car would flip/spin slowly, if I swipe fast, the car flips/spins fast. (If that was already implemented: It doesn´t seem to work here on my iPad.)

Various:
    - I found a bug in a mission with buildt 11(8). I couldn´t check if it was fixed in the latest buildt because I didn´t get the mission again until now, but maybe it is easier for you to check:
    [​IMG]
    The description and the title are different missions. To finish this mission you have to do whats in the description and not whats in the title. I know there is also a "2 Spins and 1 Flip" mission. so maybe its just a little copy&pase error or you mixed something up.

- A little bit more thought on this point:
    Maybe you can reward coins for really good stunts (you already implemented a voice for this case), for beating the previous highsccore etc.
    Sometimes you can complete all 3 missions 10-15seconds after starting but have 100 or more seconds left for the whole run. For me its okay just to try to beat my highscore, train stunts or just drive around for fun, but maybe others think "Ok, I finished every mission in this run. Now I have to drive around almost 2 minutes for nothing?"

Since the beginning of beta-testing, I have NEVER managed to grind on any rail. Not even by accident. Is it just me or is this really, really hard?

In the previous builds the missions where I have to do more than 3 Stunts mid-air, like "2 Spins and 2 Flips", "two Spins right, two spins left"... on every ramp exept one, I didn´t had enough air-time to do this. The one ramp where I had enough time was hard for me to reach and even when I was able to reach it I coudln´t do it every time because I have to hit the ramp precisely because of the two small rings right after.
    But I think its just me and my (bad) skill. Maybe with more training this woud be easy. AND: As mentioned in the beginnig: It seems the stunts seem to be "faster" in the actual buildt so maybe its now possible to do this on other ramps.

16. Knik

Knik Active Member

Sep 18, 2017
    Amsterdam
    I'll look into the new issues you have with controls and combo timer! That shouldn't happen. Challenge description is fixed for next build.

Grinds are really hard to do indeed! Once they are more fleshed out I'll see to making them more easily accessible.

17. chrisoshea

chrisoshea Active Member

Yes in latest build I am landing, my background goes orange but I am not getting Rekt words on screen/voiceover, if I don't land quite right (I'm a tester not the dev).

This happens with me most on barrel rolls too, although make sure you spin all the way (sometimes it might go to 90% barrel roll and hit the ground)

Try going into one of the loops but near the edge, as you start to pull up into the loop pull out to the right (so your car is basically pointing straight up) and you will fly into the sky. You can get good air this way, but you have to be careful with landing. Sometimes you will barrel roll depending on which point of the loop curve you leave on.

18. chrisoshea

chrisoshea Active Member

For me with the new build the challenges aren't hard enough and I'm repeating the same ones again and again.

I've unlocked a bunch of cars, got nearly 1 million score in one run, but then i'm still being asked to do challenges like hit 2 boxes or do a side swipe. What about do 5 front flips, or something a bit more challenging.

I like the new REKT collect challenge positions, they've been particularly touch some of them and took a few attempts, but enjoyable.

19. Knik

Knik Active Member

Sep 18, 2017
    Amsterdam
    I'll be adding harder challenges in future updates!

20. chrisoshea

chrisoshea Active Member

Hi again

Found some bugs/issues...

- achievement (unlock the 2nd car) didn't get triggered. is that due to the update when new cars were added (i already had the 2nd car)

- I have unlocked all cars up to Rocket. It is telling me to score 2,735,000 points, but when I do, at the end of the run it tells me I have all cars unlocked. some issue with the counter there (again maybe related to above)

I want those last two vehicles

- sometimes i had a problem where approaching a ramp, my combo timer just runs out before the launch, so I get BANKED, but when i do spins and land it wasn't registering those stunts. This doesn't always happen, but I've noticed it a few times.

I still haven't found the chicken # :)