Universal Repulze (by Pixelbite)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Pixelbite_Games, Jan 2, 2013.

1. raymond_cgc

raymond_cgc Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2013
    True that. Here's in my words:

The turning is too stiff at first, then suddenly enter too much.

This "dead-zone" is more present in the tilt, but is also there in touch controls. I will like to see a progressive steering input installed in next update. Otherwise, it is a really good game. Not tech demo (wtf?). Nice graphics...esp lens flare! Remind me of the Riptide GPs by Vector guys! Love how the craft tilts when you turn, and how it will rides the bumps.

2. Pixelbite_Games

Pixelbite_Games Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2010
    Game Developer
    Helsingborg, Sweden
    We'll take a look at improving the tilt steering right away. And I'm surprised so many can handle the speed in this game with tilt!

The first update will also include an analogue steering stick of sorts, which might feel better if you think the current touch controls feels stiff.

3. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Amen.

4. Habakuk

Habakuk Well-Known Member

#64 Habakuk, Jan 3, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
    Good to know. So Repulze is recommended right now!

Make it a bit easier maybe. I can handle ANY racer with tilt controls. And don't forget LOCAL MULTIPLAYER please. (One of the best iOS features, you don't need even ONE cable. Set up in twenty seconds like in Asphalt, Real Racing, Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing.) There could even be improvements like time records of PARTS of the tracks (sections), video replay after the race of the most critical situations, best times of the day, week, session…

I don't remember if it has mentioned before in this thread: Supports the 16:9 screens of the recent small iOS devices (tested on iPhone 5). Love the rewind function if you hit some obstacles. In the later tracks you have to go upside around in the tunnels and there are more (of the colored) energy ports (and more traffic).

BTW there is a small error in the German-language App Store description: Rechless Racing. ;-)

5. B30

B30 Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2012
    Planet Earth
    Deffinitly a fun game (fluid gameplay), but just time-trial no opponents!?! — Yawn

6. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    AXL: Full Boost is a really great game. I kind of don't put it quite in the same category as the Wipeout games though because the controls for boosting and braking are so much more important in that game. It just has a different feel that can only be explained by playing it. Took me a while to get used to the gameplay. Definitely would say it's one of my favorite futuristic racers though.

Still having fun with this one!

7. sweetdiss

sweetdiss Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Wow, this game is fun. For some reason time trials are always my favorite part of racing games so this is perfect for me. As others have said, this is a lot like WipEout (my favorite racer ever), even though there aren't air breaks or anything. The way you control and the way the ship moves around tracks and even the tracks themselves feel very simplified for mobile, but that's a good thing I think. This way there is no fighting lots of onscreen buttons and pretending it's a console game... this feels like how arcade racers probably SHOULD play on iPhone. (Just don't use tilt, at least not yet.)

Also, I don't mean to sound like it's shallow, dumbed down, or easy. It's none of those things... think of it more like the Trigger Fist of racing games.

A few suggestions:
    - GHOSTS! This is a must for time trials.
    - iCloud syncing
    - Instead of tapping the middle for boost, how about tapping both arrows at the same time? That would be easier and simpler.
    - Sometimes I get a bug where the arrows get close to the middle of the screen and the boost doesn't work unless you tap the very top of the screen... weird.

Overall I can't recommend this enough, especially for only a dollar and the promise of lots of expansion.

Speaking of that, I love the approach of releasing the game dirt cheap and in chunks based on feedback from players. True Skate is doing a similar experiment and so far it's been pretty awesome to watch and participate in. I remember people complaining that was a "tech demo" also, and now it's one of the most loved games around the forums.

8. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    This is smooth plus looks good on my touch 4

9. Mr-Fox

Mr-Fox Active Member

Feb 12, 2012
    I have to say it's a very well executed game, fast, fluid and challenging with excellent controls. I'm glad it focuses on getting the best time instead of fighting opponent with weapons (which is slowly killing the Wipeout franchise). That said, I wouldn't mind seeing other ships on the track to compete against (minus the weapons!).

10. Rudi

Rudi Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2009
    I really like the game. Totally satisfied with the touch control. Great, that you can calibrate the sensivity of the touch controls. I play with 20% and its fine.

11. raymond_cgc

Jan 3, 2013
    What is the other ships I see on track? Traffic of some sorts?

12. Habakuk

Habakuk Well-Known Member

Game Impressions

Found a way how to easily accomplish the achievement "no crashes" (sorry I don't know the exact expression because I am playing in German-language) with TILT controls!

Hit always the WRONG polarity energy ports. So you'll go slow and can easily avoid all crashes. With tilt controls it's almost impossible to make a race without ANY crashes (especially on the tempo boosts) in "normal" speed.

13. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Alrighty... WOW.

Right now, I'm having a blast with it...

But I REALLY hope that if Pixelbite does add other racers, that they make it an entirely new mode. I think it's perfect the way it is right now - reminds me of Skyriders, with the changing polarity, and I'm already having one hell of a time trying to avoid the 'traffic' without being forced into the wrong polarity and loosing my boost.

But I should also say... I'm a total sucker for changing polarity games... Kyotokei, Skyriders, Polara, Super Ox Wars... they've all got permanent spots on my iDevice, and Repulze is going to be added right next to them.

I love what Pixelbite has done with the experience system for unlocking racers, and even though I know you can access the locked stages, I'm going through them one at a time unlocking them the 'right' way, earning badges and what-not.

I do think it'd be great if they could make it so that each racer had different badges... so that you could earn all 3 with a perfect run (the time specifically) with each racer. Then have the locked racers have harder badge requirements - faster times to beat, and so on. I think it'd add to the replay value, and overall enjoyment as well as challenge of the game.

Then again, just my own opinion, and won't go nutzo if it's not implemented, because, like I said already, the game is already giving me a run for my money. For the price, there's an amazing amount of polish here... and actually, I would have felt great paying more for it.

14. bramblett05

Aug 29, 2012
    True. I felt that flashout is at the wrong asking price and repulze should switch with them. Alot of polish and great gameplay. Hope they don't leave this game in the dust.

15. k1lljoy_89

k1lljoy_89 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2011
    Look out your window.
    #75 k1lljoy_89, Jan 3, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
    It's gonna need to grow on me

16. raymond_cgc

Jan 3, 2013
    We is in common. Years ago, I played mother of all polar change game - is Ikaruga. You must try this if got xbox now. But I got play the game you mentions above, and repulze is not a "real" polar change game. The best from on top is Polara, but even not very good that one/

17. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Yeah... I was just talking iOS games... I had Ikaruga on the GameCube. Now that I've got a Dreamcast, I've had my eyes open for a copy so I can play it again (I don't have an XBOX or any other 'newer' system - well... a Wii, but it's the kids...)

18. bramblett05

Aug 29, 2012
    Wish some RPGs from the dreamcast were ported to iOS

19. B30

B30 Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2012
    Planet Earth
    Exactly!

20. bramblett05

Aug 29, 2012
    If they do add weapons (hope not) how about using them to blow up a section to make a shortcut instead of shooting other racers. This needs to be more then a clone or "what all wipeout games are suppose to be" if that happens then these types of racers will become stale.