iPhone Rex Rocket (by Castle Pixel)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ojtitus, Apr 18, 2015.

1. Qwertz555

Qwertz555 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    Yeay, i got my ipad for a few days. Bought this a and put everything else on hold. I'm tired of commenting on not customiz...they do their job well enough and i'm having a huge blast with this beautiful and damn challenging godess.
    GOTW

2. Luciano1084

Luciano1084 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2014
    Definitely my game of the year

3. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

The touch controls work surprisingly well. The only thing I sometimes have trouble with is the secondary weapon (smaller "Y" button), but I mostly use the primary anyway.

4. skylined87

skylined87 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2014
    Is there any chance of this coming to iPhone? I do t have the cash for an iPad, but I really really want to play this! Devs? Anyone?

5. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    All iPhone only users should give this a shot on steam, I don't think this might come to iPhone. At least not without required MFi controls, just look at how many buttons you need to have on-screen.

6. Luciano1084

May 8, 2014
    #46 Luciano1084, Apr 19, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2015
    Dude I hope so.. I don't own an iPhone but I want everyone to enjoy this gem.. If I'd have to guess I think it isn't.. Way to many buttons.. Hopefully Robbie figures out a way to make it happen.. Maybe on a 6+ its do-a-ble

7. jfleschler

jfleschler Member

Jul 31, 2012
    Hey all! I'm the guy that ported this over to iPad from PC. Just thought I'd comment on the mfi stuff and iPhone. As for the mfi stuff, I don't currently have one but am looking to get one soon. Once I do I'll look at how hard it will be to add it in! On the iPhone front, I would LOVE to play Rex on my phone. If I can get the buttons to look good and be playable on the smaller screen I will make it universal (I'm not super confident tho)

I'm glad everyone is enjoying to so far!

8. Luciano1084

May 8, 2014
    A big ol thanks from me and everyone else I'm sure.. This game is fantastic

9. paulkane

paulkane Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2012
    Library automaton
    Denver
    Can you kill the slime boss for me? My thumb hurts. Waaaaaaahhhh!

10. modus_ataraxia

modus_ataraxia Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2015
    10/10 game, marred by over-sensitive 8 way controls. Could be my first GOTY contender, if there was half the frustration due to unnecessary input problems.

11. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    First of all, I was about to welcome you to TA, but I see you've been here for 3 years! :)

Second: It's awesome that iPhone support could possibly come. Thanks a million for giving it a shot.

12. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Fantastic game. Only flaw is having 200 buttons on the touchscreen. On the bright side, each of the buttons do their individual functions well and responsively. The thing is that i keep glancing at the buttons which isnt optimal.

Im glad this got ported though. Awesome stuff, most definitely.

13. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    #53 Andy C83, Apr 19, 2015
    Just beat the 3rd boss with 31% story completion. Sure the virtual buttons can be a bit fiddly but you do get used to them the more you play. There are collectibles, secret areas, weapon upgrades and cool boss fights. Rex Rocket: Mobile was well worth the wait and I would instantly purchase a Vita/3DS version though I've no idea if that's on the cards. Great game, quality port.

Edit: I was already looking forward to Blossom Tales but after having played this that game has shot to the very top of my most anticipated list.

14. GiHubb

GiHubb Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 27, 2010
    CEO
    I've looked at one of those Quick Look videos of Giant Bomb and it looks really hard even with a physical controller. Were there any concessions made for the iOS version in the difficulty?

15. jfleschler

jfleschler Member

Jul 31, 2012
    #55 jfleschler, Apr 19, 2015
    Hey GiHubb! The game is still pretty difficult. We made some tweaks along the way to improve the playability on the iPad like unlimited lives but it wouldn't be a metroidvania if it wasn't hard :)

16. Anotherkellydown

That 3rd boss took me more than a few tries to beat! Until I noticed I was doing something wrong. I'm sure you know what I'm taking about. ;)

I just love the pattern recognition required to beat the bosses. Brings me back to my NES Mega Man days. Megatroid-vania!!!

17. Luciano1084

May 8, 2014
    Lmao, same here ##.. Once I realized that it just took me a few tries to beat him.. Loving the challenge this game presents.. Are you guys experience long loading times or is it just me? After the second boss the load times have become considerably longer.. I'm using an iPad mini retina

18. modus_ataraxia

modus_ataraxia Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2015
    #58 modus_ataraxia, Apr 19, 2015
    Just beat the upgraded thermal laser room. I'm starting to get frustrated with how loose and imprecise these controls are.

19. Anotherkellydown

Same device and same loading times. They're not terribly long, but noticeable. Also didn't happen until sometime after the second boss as well. Shortly after you get
    the Mech Suit.

20. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    Their upcoming game Blossom Kingdom is my most anticipated game of the year!

[​IMG]