iPhone Rex Rocket (by Castle Pixel)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ojtitus, Apr 18, 2015.

1. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    I got halfway through the third room without charge shot but that was it. Came back with charge shot and did it in 4 tries :D Now
    Grenade Launcher
    ... that's another mess. It doesn't help that the third room in that set requires extensive use of combined charge jump and jetpack which is incredibly hard to do with touchscreen controls. I think that final room could have used the addition of a rebuild-a-tron for the mobile port.

2. sapphire_neo

Jan 20, 2011
    Grenade Launcher
    get! Now I can resume playing the actual game :p

3. CastlePixel

CastlePixel Active Member

Apr 18, 2014
    Pittsburgh & Toronto
  4. CastlePixel

Apr 18, 2014
    Pittsburgh & Toronto
    Hats off to you Sapphire :) That takes real skill to make it through the 3rd room.

5. sapphire_neo

Jan 20, 2011
    Yay! There's nothing else like this on iOS, and I doubt we'll see a platformer of this scale and scope anytime soon.

Thanks! I love the intense plat forming sections in this game, wholly reminiscent of the 16-bit era.

Also, can I explore the SS Montana after beating the final boss or should I get all my affairs in order before going to that fight?

6. CastlePixel

Apr 18, 2014
    Pittsburgh & Toronto
    After you beat LAUREN you'll be free to roam the ship to your liking. There are a good bit of easter eggs hidden throughout the ship ;)

7. sapphire_neo

Jan 20, 2011
    Awesome, time to kick some AI butt!

8. Luciano1084

Luciano1084 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2014
    Damn teleport bot is no joke

9. sapphire_neo

Jan 20, 2011
    Beat her on my third try! Auto-Blaster is still the best thing for dealing with bosses.

Luciano1084, for TeleportBot I mostly tagged him a lot with my Auto-Blaster while he tries to smash down onto you. You can tank a lot of the damage with i-frames.

10. Adsinjapan

Adsinjapan Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2013
    Here's me with my glossy, new iPhone 6. Sure, I have an iPad 3, but I barely take it anywhere with me these days.

Please devs, consider making it universal. :D

11. inthismoment07

inthismoment07 Active Member

Aug 12, 2014
    #111 inthismoment07, Apr 25, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2015
    Love this game but it shouldnt even exist on touch screen devices. On the second to last boss and would of beat it ages ago if not for the horrible touch interface. Its a pretty complex fight and when you have to stop and look to make sure your hitting the right button it's near impossible. And I swear sometimes the button presses don't even register. I'm keeping at it just because it is such a good game. But I'm really hoping for controller support someday. Edit 1. Just beat it after at least an hour of trying. Now on to lauren. Edit 2. Same deal with Lauren. Would of beaten it by now with a controller. I generally dont complain about touch controls but these are completely unreliable. If your gonna take my money your product should work better than this. These touch controls have just been shoe horned in. That said this is still an amazing pc game. But only a mediocre iOS game due to the controls. Edit three lol. Just beat the game. Controls fighting against me and all. Loved the game but never for one second felt comfortable with the controls. I'd love to see this come to consoles. I'd buy it again in a heartbeat.

12. Duivs

Duivs Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2013
    Guess what? Classified.
    Classified.
    Just got this.
    ^ makes me uneasy :/

13. Luciano1084

May 8, 2014
    #113 Luciano1084, Apr 26, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2015
    Dude it's a great game.. Yeah the controls aren't perfect but that's the case with a bunch of games on touch devices.. Adapt...Most of us here will sacrifice controls a bit for the option to play wherever we are.. It's a pretty fair trade off.. This game should absolutely be on touch devices so if your on fence do yourself a favor and buy it.. Just expect to die and die often.. I've been watching people play on their PC and they die ALL the time as well.. It's the nature of the game.. The gentlemen above is obviously entitled to his own opinion but read the whole thread and you'll find a lot of us are ok with the controls.. They aren't perfect but I've played worse.. There's a reason it was voted game of the week..

14. sapphire_neo

Jan 20, 2011
    I'm not going to disagree that this port is an anomaly. Something of this nature generally would never be ported to iOS, way too many buttons, requires precise input, has extremely difficult platforming sections. However, it does work within the limitations of the platform. It will be an incredible port if/when it gets MFi support but even now it's fairly playable. I've beaten all the insane platforming challenges in the game, even the absurd optional stuff, and while I routinely felt that I was being held back by the controls there's no other way these controls could have been implemented, the only things I can think of are a sensitivity slider for the d-pad and maybe some more concessions for the iOS port by way of a few more checkpoints.

Even in its current shape this is one of my favorite iOS games of all time, and RR is definitely one of my favorite platformers of all time on any platform.

15. inthismoment07

inthismoment07 Active Member

Aug 12, 2014
    Yes you do die a lot and I agree that is part of the game, but I felt a lot of my deaths were due to poor controls,especially during the boss fights. Was I too harsh saying it shouldn't exist on touch devices,probably. It is a lot of fun and I'm still playing even after beating it. I just found myself fumbling with the layout and hitting the wrong buttons a lot of the time. I've played hundreds of iOS games and I would rank this pretty high on my list for shoddy controls. Still I would urge anyone to buy it and enjoy it as much as you can. Other than the controls I thought it was an amazing game. I just thought the controls made a hard game that much harder. And to me that was frustrating.

16. ColeDaddy

ColeDaddy Silver Supporter<br>Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    Man, I'm having difficulty launching myself while shooting downwards...

17. Luciano1084

May 8, 2014
    Yeah it's the trickiest thing to execute in my opinion.. I dread the jumps where's it necessary lol.. It's gets a bit easier once you acquire the charge shot..

18. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    This game alone makes me wish for an iPad mini. Granted, it's big and oh so beautiful on my Air, but I've never been wild about platforms on a big screen.

19. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Im actually thinking the same, which an MFi controller support could fix too. :D

20. jfleschler

jfleschler Member

Jul 31, 2012
    While we play tested on most iPads I did most of my dev on my first gen mini!

I'm hoping to pick up an MFi controller in the next few days!! I'll keep you guys posted!