Riot Runners - Upcoming Endless Arcade Runner (by Room 8)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by MikeNintendo, Nov 5, 2013.

1. ogloguy

ogloguy Active Member

Apr 24, 2013
    Game Developer
    Just played Robot Rush, its a pretty decent game minus the crashes and a few obvious UX related issues like:

1- Cant find a quick 'run again' button. I go to Home screen everytime to start again.
    2- Dont know whats happening in the 'rewards' section most of the time. I just want to run again dammit! :D

Hopefully you guys will fix it before releasing Riot Runners.

2. MikeNintendo

MikeNintendo Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2013
    Thanks a lot for your feedback!

The run again button appears after pressing that middle "next" a few times.
    But we will consider changing it somehow to make it more clear.

3. Bleau

Bleau Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2013
    One half of MoWOW Studios, an mobile indie game st
    Koblenz, Germany
    Hi Mike,

Hope you and all your family and friends are ok with all the "party-ing" going on in Ukraine :(

I played Robot Rush. Here's my 2 cents:
    - The game is fun and there are a lot of obstacles that come towards you. However, in Jetpack Joyride for example you got a warning effect when rockets came at you for example, or the laser beams wanted to dice you. They gave you a bit of time to say your prayers :p
    - The dying part is also not very satisfactory. Not that dying is something nice, but i would expect that my crash at least bend that last pole :))
    - The scenery is not changing. I don't expect to see green after a while, but since I am deep down in the mines, it can get brighter and brighter or I start to see different things in the background that gives me the impression that I am getting closer? Heck, you can even just tell me that we are at level 456 - Torture chambers, robot decomposition :))
    - The big robot at the beginning running towards me is really cool. But, he feels like he is not moving away naturally as i hit the speed boost lanes. Also, I would rather have a second chance when crashing into the walls and see the big robot catching up to me. In the movies when you are being chased, you run in the woods, stumble on some stuff, but even when you stumble and fall, you still have a chance, you see them closing in but still escape their grasp.... only to die a bit later by the guy/monster who shows up in front of you from nowhere... hope you get my idea.

Like the game, will play it some more to get the other robots and all ze missions. Keep up the good work :)

4. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    Any news on when riot runners will be released?

5. MikeNintendo

Aug 6, 2013
    #105 MikeNintendo, Jan 22, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
    Bleau, thanks for your opinion, i've shared it with the rest of the team!

Cloudpuff, unfortunatly, no, not yet :(

6. MikeNintendo

Aug 6, 2013
    Great news, guys! We're excited to let you know that Riot Runners is going to be launched onto the App Store worldwide next Thursday, February 13.

Just 8 days to go!

7. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Yay! :D

Finally I get a hug from Jack! I brought my iron undergarments just in case!

8. sink_or_swim

sink_or_swim Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Germany
    Nice.. can't wait to play the final version :)

9. SonixManix

SonixManix Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2013
    Will it be free?

10. MikeNintendo

Aug 6, 2013
    SonixManix, no, it will be paid, i will confirm the price a bit later.

I will give away five promo-codes for Riot Runners at the release day. Stay tuned!

11. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    Sweet! Glad it's premium

12. sink_or_swim

Feb 4, 2012
    Germany
    Premium because it is paid?!

In the current version there are power-ups I can only upgrade with the second currency, you should change this when you decide to release the game as paid. Or make it free from the beginning. Freemium is bad but paidmium is even worse!

13. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Well said. If its is going to have multiple currencies then it should be free. People at first will fall for the good gameplay but soon they will realize its paidmium game. That happened to me with Toad Rider recently. And its not a good thing at all. If paidmium find themselves not having many sales and devs making it freemium, I wouldn't be surprised. And Riot Runners is following those steps really closely.

14. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Is this not coming out tonight?

15. MikeNintendo

Aug 6, 2013
    It is. Should appear in the store soon!

16. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    Awesome!!!

17. sink_or_swim

Feb 4, 2012
    Germany
    still not out

18. MikeNintendo

Aug 6, 2013
    Yep, we're worried. :/
    But still, i've got five promo-codes to give away.
    Send me a PM to get one!

19. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    #119 awp69, Feb 13, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
    Could you explain the differences between Robot Rush and Riot Runners (other than ad support? Been a while since I played Robo Rush.

Thanks for the code. Really do like the game, but still get a bit of a freemiumish feel from it. Need to play more to form more of an opinion on grinding and the like.

One thing I didn't like about Robo Rush which returns here is that you have to scroll through things like the option of playing he spin wheel everytime you run. Since using it requires the second more premium currency, I'm avoiding it but also would rather just bypass it all together. Couldn't you make it a separate button that you don't have to touch unless you want to?

Definitely is a looker and the gameplay is fun. Just need to play more to arrive at whether this still feels freemium.

What changes were made from the Robo Rush version?

20. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    Any news yet? I keep coming back to check but no joy.