iPhone Riven for iPad - (by Cyan Worlds)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Jan 16, 2013.

1. BeefJerky

BeefJerky Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2009
    As others have mentioned, it is missing the ripple effect on the water. Odd as I can't imagine the iPad couldn't do something similar.

2. Teremei

Teremei Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2011
    really? Even the ipad version is missing the ripple effect? I LOVE Riven, I would die to beable to play it on the go, it would be my dream game on IOS. But I only have an itouch 5th and the iphone version is really watered down. Though the Iphone 4S and 5 are more than powerful enough to handle Riven aswell.

It's really too bad there are too many lazy ports. If they ever update the iphone version to near perfect, I would buy it instantly. Until then I have to play it tethered to my computer with my download from gog.

3. Candykiller

Candykiller Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 15, 2010
    Illustrator/Designer
    United Kingdom
    The iPad is way more powerful than the average desktop computer at the time when Riven was released. My guess is that the missing water ripple effect is a budget issue, as someone would probably have to spend time creating masks outlining every image featuring water. The iPad could easily handle the runtime water animation, that's for sure.

4. mzinn

mzinn Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2014
    Play realmyst first or not worth it?

5. Maslan266

Maslan266 Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2017
    I know I am incredibly late to this thread, but I will just share my opinion about the game here.

I throughly enjoyed RealMyst. I loved the idea of enhanced graphics and the fluid and smooth free movement involve in a beautiful 3D land. However, after being obsessed with it, I have mixed feelings about Riven For IPad.

Now, I knew, from the reviews, that there was no 3D movement involved and the graphics weren’t changed. I thought it wouldn’t bother me personally as I played a ton of point and click game with no 3D environment. I paid the high premium price of $5.99 and was so excited to fire it up. I was enjoying it at first, but later on after making progress, I really don’t know how long I will stick with it.
    The graphics are at a terribly low resolution, and the animations are incredibly jerky. I ended up skipping most of them because I was uncomfortable watching clunky low res animations like that.
    Other than, the navigation was also confusing. You could swipe photos from left to right, but sometimes I didn’t know where exactly I was going.
    So these sum up my complaints. I still have it on my 2017 iPad because it keeps calling me back sometimes despite these complaints. I think I will stick with it for a little longer despite these complaints, but I think they will bother me for a while at least.