iPad Road Blaster - (by Revolutionary Concepts) $.99

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Jan 14, 2011.

1. Revolutionary Concepts

Revolutionary Concepts Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2009
    #21 Revolutionary Concepts, Jan 14, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2011
    ROTFL. Maybe and again I can only apologise that the orginal arcade game wasn't 100% true to life so you could mow him down, back up and drive over him again and again :)

Heya Squarezero! You said a mouthful there mate. Totally agree on the memory game part. Either my memory is failing me or they were always damn hard :)

Bad news on the CliffHanger front though I'm afraid. The legend goes Miyazaki who's movie CliffHanger was derived from really didn't like the results and so he has ever since steadfastly refused to allow the content to be licensed. I doubt we'll ever see CliffHanger on iOS - hence our announcement through TA some months back that RB would be our last such title. CliffHanger-aside I really think RoadBlaster is the best of the genre.

But then I'm biased ;)

2. TheClaff

TheClaff Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Senior Producer, Bethesda Game Studios
    Bethesda, Maryland
    Is this coming to iPad or universal?

3. FPE

FPE Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    World, now Belgium
    DEv .... any ipad version coming????

4. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Well, Miyazaki is a notorious perfectionist, so I'm not surprised. I keep hoping that I'll walk into an arcade someday and discover a pristine Cliffhanger cabinet -- all I would need is a slice of pepperoni pizza and a Cherry Coke, and I'd be all set for the rest of the day :D.

Road Blaster does look really cool...

5. starcat

starcat Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2010
    holy crap yes yes... cliffhanger AND dragon's lair 2

6. BazookaTime

BazookaTime Well-Known Member

I received a code for this last night and the game is flipping awesome. I am sure that these types of games are a acquired taste but for this style of game, this is as good as it gets.

I have found that both touch and tilt are extremely responsive and the look of the game is top notch. The game is hard but it is so damn cool that I don't mind retrying a section again. I am shocked that this is going to be .99.

I am really looking forward to the iPad version now.

7. Bad Hanson

Bad Hanson Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Somnambulist
    The Westcountry UK
    #27 Bad Hanson, Jan 14, 2011
    If only I hadn't seen so many other Dev's employ such base tactics with similar names with the intention of kickstarting some hype on the appstore and on these boards Supe'. You must be on the inside track, I wouldn't necessarily give them the credit. Besides some people 'are' going to be duped because of them peddling such rubbish. But then again that's the self-serving nature of hype, I guess...nothing is ever THAT good right?! I just think it shows a lack of belief in their game if they are resorting to such tactics, let the game speak for itself: if it's good it will sell. Personally I would steer clear of any ambiguity for danger of comments like these. I'm not hating on the game itself. :)

8. FPE

FPE Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    World, now Belgium
    So, this mean I will not buy it.

9. Fujibayashi

Fujibayashi Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2009
    Japanese / Korean translator.
    Mililani, O'ahu, Hawai'i
    #29 Fujibayashi, Jan 14, 2011
    In action.

A glorious (well, okay, one of the only ones) gameplay video - you can see how the laserdisc changes speeds to match the throttle handlebar of the player - the enemy bikes / Sinistar sprites were pure WILLIAMS/MIDWAY at the time: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8lcBYBS51Q

10. Revolutionary Concepts

Nov 12, 2009
    #30 Revolutionary Concepts, Jan 14, 2011
    Glad you are liking it Bazooka. You are liking it arent you?
    I'd like to put "the game is flipping awesome" in the advert but yeh it's just too good, I mean it can't be true apparently just as our other early adopters comments in our ad must also be false.
    Are you sure no-ones holding a Bazooka to your head and we aren't holding any of your family members hostage? :rolleyes:

11. goiMot

goiMot Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Physician
    This is another impressive game from Revolutionary Concepts: from the initial scene to the music and the animation, it's clear the high attention to detail and lots of love put into this project.

From the settings, you can choose from two type of cars and they way you want to drive it: tilt steering or cockpit mode, steering wheel and brake and turbo (I personally prefer the tilt steering, but both work perfectly).

You control the car toward the correct directions following the on-screen instructions given (green arrows to turn right or left, a red X to brake and a blue circle to accelerate). The levels are long high-speed chases at a frantic pace where coordination and fast reactions are very important to get higher scores.

For those not familiar with this type of game I would recommend to check some videos of the original on youtube:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4swgYTIGbg

The game has gamecenter and you can share your score on twitter or facebook.

This is an amazing recreation of the laser disc original and for 99c is an absolute steal!!!

BTW, play it with your headphones on to enjoy the vibrant soundtrack.

12. ColeDaddy

ColeDaddy Silver Supporter<br>Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    This doesn't appear to be a "Dragon's Lair" type game (where the animation takes over depending on the choices you make) as the video shows the gamer having complete control of the vehicle at all times. My impression is that the game is similar to other racing sim games where we are the drivers in control of the speed and direction...but, the gameplay is couched inside an action-packed story. Is this correct?

13. Revolutionary Concepts

Nov 12, 2009
    #33 Revolutionary Concepts, Jan 14, 2011
    Thanks GoiMot that means a lot!

ColeDaddy I'd hate for you to spend 99c based on that assumption so let me clarify for you. The game is somewhat akin to Dragons Lair in that it cues up portions of pre-recorded (in this case hand-drawn animation) video, and your ability to react in time to what's shown on screen determines the next section of video that will be played. Move in the wrong direction you'll see a death scene, move in the correct direction and at the right time and you're on to the next scene.

The big difference between Road Blaster on the iPhone and say Dragons Lair - and it is a big difference - is that we have bent over backwards to make the gameplay as fast flowing and seamless as possible and added things like the car dash graphics, steering wheel, brake and turbo, that when combined make for a much more immersive and engaging experience than the afore-mentioned (much loved but very limited) title.

It is still an 'on-rails' game but is as close to 'off-rails / free movement' as a laserdisc game could ever be given the inherent limits of the technology of the day.

14. BazookaTime

BazookaTime Well-Known Member

Yes, I am loving this game and when I say flipping awesome, I mean it.:D

I am really impressed with how well this turned out. Congrats.

15. ColeDaddy

ColeDaddy Silver Supporter<br>Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    Thanks for getting back to me with the clarification. I greatly appreciate it.

16. Bad Hanson

Bad Hanson Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Somnambulist
    The Westcountry UK
    #36 Bad Hanson, Jan 14, 2011
    Hey Guys. I just got a pm from the dev's clearly concerned by my reaction to the faked/ironic reviews. Having read their response, which was accepting of my comments and graciously so -even to the extent of them offering me a free game from their catalogue (which I feel undeserving of so will decline the offer) -But I will hereby redact my comments which were unhelpful. I previously bought two of their games so my throwaway comments earlier were in no way intended to tarnish their reputation or paint them in the wrong light. Whilst I often think of this site as somewhere where we can have open discussion about releases and games in general: given the prestiege of our site we also have that responibility to be fair to the dev's and respectful of their hard work. I will buy the game tomorrow out of goodwill.

17. DotComCTO

DotComCTO Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2009
    Chief Technology Officer
    Westchester County, NY
    Hi everyone!

My son (he's 9) and I were in on the beta test for this game (thanks RC!). Let me give you some quick info:

1. The game style is a mix of watching and playing. You're responding to prompts on when to turn left, turn right, speed up, or slow down. The video sequence changes based on the control input. Basically, like every other laser disc game, if you choose the wrong response, you'll blow up/crash the car (the visual will be appropriate for the situation). If you get it right, you'll seamlessly continue onto the next segment. Done properly, it's like playing a 80's Saturday morning cartoon.

2. My son never played this type of game before, and he absolutely *loved* it! He played it non-stop and completed the game...twice.

3. Revolutionary Concepts poured an enormous amount of time and energy in getting the controls and animation right. As they said in a prior posting, this is a *recreation* of the original game. They re-coded this game from scratch to optimize it for iOS. This isn't a lame port!

4. Part of the delay in getting this out the door was likely due to all the feedback they got from their beta testers. I can tell you that my son and I provided considerable feedback over the past 6+ weeks, and the team at RC took it very seriously.

This game is a definitely buy for fans of the laser disc genre. Frankly, at the launch price of $0.99 US, I would recommend it period.

Oh...and do use the tilt controls...they work extremely well; my son and I think they're better than the touch-steering controls.

Congrats to Revolutionary Concepts!

:D

--DotComCTO

18. Acidbottle

Acidbottle Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2009
    have been eagerly awaiting this since its announcement!

glad its out there and im gonna click the ole buy button at midnight.

19. chris1215

chris1215 Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2009
  20. WeskerWario

WeskerWario Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2009
    -none at the moment-
    Florida
    Same Here Dude.