iPad Road Blaster - (by Revolutionary Concepts) $.99

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Jan 14, 2011.

1. Hankoplank

Hankoplank New Member

Jan 14, 2011
    Hey. I'm a great fan of the original game. Had it for my Mega CD.
    I kind of miss the doofy rock song with lyrics that was in the intro to my old version, but thanks greatly never the less.

One thing I would love to see in an update would be a 'basic' minimal-ui option with the dashboard and animated reflection removed in favour of something akin to this: http://www.revolutionaryconcepts.net/media/Arcade.png
    Another would be digital type action buttons as an option to pick instead of dragging to steer, accelerate and brake.

Not to dump on all your improvements and innovations, they are cool, but these are the ways I'd rather play the game.

2. Diablohead

Diablohead Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2009
    Freelancer, PC game developer
    I love this game, still own it on my mega cd.

I wasn't expecting to see it at 59p, i'm willing to pay more :p

3. Jetjet

Jetjet Well-Known Member

May 14, 2010
    Excuse me ! Didn't wanted to say it was bad or whatever (I played it a lot of times a long time ago and it was very fun) but it's not for everyone as you said 'cause it's retro special and directional. And with this price it's a zero fault download for young curious and old retro in love like me :)

4. Revolutionary Concepts

Revolutionary Concepts Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2009
    #44 Revolutionary Concepts, Jan 15, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2011
  5. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    Gotta admit, this sounds like an accurate description! Think I'll pass on this as well.

6. Slothy

Slothy Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2010
    Kudos to Revolutionary Concepts for preserving my gaming memories with upmost care! In fact, some of my greatest gaming memories are with my Sega CD. Yeah FMV is an aquired taste, but you gotta admit, there were some great ones. And I remember being the cool kid for having a Sega CD with 'movie quality graphics' even though it was just FMV, haha. I loved Road Blaster (Road Avenger in US). And I love Revolutionary Concept's games. Insta-buy!

Hey Revolutionary Concepts, how about trying to nail down the loose rights to port Night Trap? That game has a huge cult following, IMO. Just a dream I have :)

7. Ouisch

Ouisch Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2009
    OK, to get my bias out of the way first, I'll admit to being a huge laser disc game fanatic.

However, that being said, Revolutionary Concept's version of "Road Blaster" is a game that I think I'd love even if I didn't care for laser disc games at all. Unlike "Dragon's Lair" or "Space Ace", the required movements in Road Blaster gel so well with the animation playing on the screen that you really feel like you are controlling the car directly, driving your way through a dystopic world which appears to be some kind of demented Japan-ified mix of Miami Vice and The Road Warrior. Seriously the video alone is worth the price of admission.

Beyond that, the app itself is great. Presentation is absolutely top notch. Game center supported, as well as posting scores to twitter or facebook. The dashboard looks great, controls are extremely responsive (I mostly play with touch controls, though tilt controls work really well too, the touch controls just give me more of that "arcade feel"), and the video has been beautifully restored. I've seen the arcade version, I've seen the Sega CD version, and I can honestly say this is the best looking version of Road Blaster I've ever seen.

Add all this to the fact that you get 9 levels with 3 levels of difficulty each. Also, each level gauges your reaction time, and gives you a bonus based on that. Revolutionary Concepts has packed in a lot more re-playability than you find in your average laser disc game (in other words the game center leaderboard isn't going to be packed with a bunch of people with a score of 427,469 like "Dragon's Lair").

For fans of laser disc games, or old arcade enthusiasts in general, this game is absolutely a must buy. I wouldn't hesitate to say that it's the most "playable" laser disc game in the app store. I would heavily recommend this game to anyone with a passing interest, especially given the introductory price.

If you absolutely start to burn up with fury the second you hear the word "FMV", I guess this game isn't for you. However, you're missing out on a great version of a really cool arcade game.

EDIT: Now live in US/Canada. Bit early!

8. Prab

Prab Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Dec 17, 2008
    CS student
    SG
    Lol... That would be awesome if true :p

9. Gunblade1190

Gunblade1190 Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2010
    NJ
    Downloading in the US~ This may take a while though (on my ipod). Looking forward to this, as, even though I didn't grow up on Laser Disc games, I've enjoyed every game of this type so far that I've played.

:D

10. quebecotr

quebecotr Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2010
    Male
    Retired teacher
    Milwaukee, WI
    For a buck, this is an absolute no-brainer... I'm getting this right now !!!

Mad Japanime goodness all over this thing, woohoo !!!!!

11. strivemind

strivemind Well-Known Member

#51 strivemind, Jan 15, 2011
    Great port of a great game.
    I'm thankful there's tilt controls, cause I'm having a heck of a time with the touch. Like I react in time, the stearing wheel even turns, but somehow "doesn't turn enough" and I lose. You should be able to do a simple swipe left or right anywhere on the dashboard.

Edit: After playing a while longer, tilt is really the way to go. Fun too, with more of an arcade cabinet feeling.

12. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    I caved in and bought it. Hopin I'm gonna like it.

13. djflippy

djflippy Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    This.

14. Revolutionary Concepts

Revolutionary Concepts Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2009
    #54 Revolutionary Concepts, Jan 15, 2011
    To steer swipe and hold the steering wheel in the direction for the whole duration of the turn - dont let go the wheel till the light stops flashing (kinda like real driving :p )
    If you die it's either that you turned to late or released too early.
    That said unlike other popular laserdisc titles we have made the controls in a way that you arent punished for starting to turn early and/or holding late so the game is very forgiving if you anticipate the next move, and you should be careering around like a crash hot 9 year old in no time flat :)

15. Skall

Skall Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2009
    instant buy!

16. FPE

FPE Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    World, now Belgium
    You know what .... I am so getting this! And I know I will double dipping when the ipad version comes out! Downloading now ...

17. SuperWeird

SuperWeird Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Wow, I remember this game! Just bought it and have been playing it - so awesome! Agree with others, tilt is the best way to play this, and I'm not usually a fan of tilt controls, but they work really well here. I only wish this game was universal HD too, but I'm playing it at 2x on my iPad anyway and it still looks good.

18. FPE

FPE Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    World, now Belgium
    This is so good at 2x .... That if I double dip is only for supporting the dev, like for banzai rabbit!
    Mini review of this gem in the making on my site.

But this, as all laser disk games, is not for everybody. I suggest checking cobra command lite if still around as an idea of gameplay.

19. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Agreed -- tilt works better for me too, particularly in combination with breaking and acceleration.

This game actually holds up better than I would have expected.

20. LosBadylos

LosBadylos Member

Aug 29, 2009
    Well' it's surely a must buy for me, I loved this game when I was a child.
    This port is better in every aspect, except one - music. And I think it's really important, music in Sega CD version was amazing, fitting so perfectly with the action. And intro music - something wonderful and unforgettable.

This game will be my fav could be my fav, but it needs this music.
    I'm curious, if it's possible to include 2 soundtracks to choose, that would be a complete Road Blaster experience.
    I would like to point that question to the Developers ^_^