iPad Road Blaster - (by Revolutionary Concepts) $.99

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Jan 14, 2011.

1. FPE

FPE Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    World, now Belgium
    We all agree with you. I guess we all say tell them but do not tell (tempt) us .....

2. Revolutionary Concepts

Revolutionary Concepts Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2009
    #102 Revolutionary Concepts, Jan 16, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2011
    Thanks Dexter for pointing out this obscure issue. Not really a biggie as you'd have to be a masochist to attempt to pause every second or so for the duration of the entire game, but there's a few things we'll tweak in the next week and this is on the list :)

How are you guys travelling (pun intended :p). Still to see many people finish the game - GameCenter shows one person based on score. Though I doubt anyone can manage it on Expert :p

My personal fave moments in the game - the cameo of the Cobra Command helicopter, oh and having a speedboat land inside your car - classic! :) Any others?

3. jjjmedia

jjjmedia Well-Known Member

May 27, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    How long is each level?

4. gunxsword

gunxsword Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    Awww man... I'm having some troubles with beginner difficulty! :D

Gotta LOVE Cobra Command! Will Road Blaster get inf lives and invincibility in-app purchases like CC? I'd like to play games casually, relaxing and just enjoying them knowing that there's nothing to lose :p

5. FPE

FPE Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    World, now Belgium
    I am at level 9 on normal ... so almost finished.
    I love the smashing of the Helicopter against the glass building (level 5 ?!)

6. marker1c

marker1c Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2010
    Philipines
    Enjoying this so far. No wait I'm loving it :)

7. FPE

FPE Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    World, now Belgium
    Just finished on normal. Loved it.
    And I also confirm tilt is way easier. I did the last level on tilt and I saw reaction times going down significantly.

Now a break and I try expert!

8. medianotzu

medianotzu Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    I am loving the game but I think it needs a simple tutorial. I'm having major problems with anything involving the throttle. It doesn't seem that it's something you can do ahead of time, as with the turning? With the turns I can memorize the sequence and tilt starting before the prompt comes up and until it finishes, but if I try this with throttle, it doesn't work and I always die. And I can't work out the timing otherwise. Are you supposed to hit the throttle exactly at the moment it flashes? Or before? Or after? I get different results with the same attempted input methods.

Also, the game really really needs a way to quit the current game and return to menu, unless it's already in there and I just can't figure out how to do it. As I mentioned before, some kind of simple tutorial covering the menus and controls would be a good inclusion, I think.

9. Revolutionary Concepts

Nov 12, 2009
    Hey there,
    Sounds like you might not be holding the throttle/brake for the duration of the event. When the light starts flashing drag the throttle then HOLD IT there until the light stops flashing. A little practice and you should nail it :)
    Also note that there are times you'll need to throttle/brake and turn together.

To exit a game, pause (in car cigarette lighter ;) ) then wait till it says END GAME in the dash display.
    You can also access settings this way.

Thanks for the suggestion of a tutorial - you are the first to request but that doesn't mean others wouldn't like one too, so we'll keep listening and see what the consensus is.

Glad you are loving the game, thanks for your support everyone!

10. medianotzu

medianotzu Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    See, that all makes perfect sense about the throttle. I was letting up on it too early, I think. Maybe I've lost my ability to intuit car controls because it has been so long (about 5 years) since I last actually drove a car.

Thanks for answering my questions! Nice to see that you can quit a game. I just wasn't waiting long enough after pausing.

11. deadfolk

deadfolk Member

Dec 21, 2010
    I used to love this on the Mega CD. It's a real shame they don't have the cheesy theme song of the original...that was one of my favourite parts. I expect it's a licensing thing. Still, it would be great if they could find a way to include it in a future update.

Didn't stop me from buying it the second I saw it, though.

12. LosBadylos

LosBadylos Member

Aug 29, 2009
    Well, the thing is that it's not the intro song alone, but also the whole soundtrack. That's a real shame, Sega Mega CD soundtrack was undoubtly the best and the most fitting one. I didn't really like this one, it feels out of place when you compare it to the Mega CD music.

13. Revolutionary Concepts

Nov 12, 2009
    #113 Revolutionary Concepts, Jan 16, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2011
    The SegaCD version with it's intro tune by JWalk is not the original arcade game. It's the arcade game we licensed and are interested in, because thats how it was originally envisioned by Data East back in the day, and aside from the interesting title track the SegaCD game was inferior in every respect.
    As mentioned before in this thread and others we looked at including the joe cockeresque alternate intro as a bonus but for a number of reasons it is unavailable for licensing.

14. Link6746

Link6746 Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Berserker (RAAAAARRRGH!)
    Saint Joseph's Hospital, Mental Ward (Long Term Gu
    Game Impressions

I've got to tell you, this actually feels interactive and is a good title all around, even for those of us like myself who have never played a Laserdisk game before the iphone.

Highly recommended.

15. h1976

h1976 Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Finished it, really fun, and unbelievably cheap at that price.

Great game!

16. chrisoshea

chrisoshea Active Member

I never saw this in the arcades/home first time around, so great to play it on iPhone. Its lots of fun & welldone, congrats.

I noticed something weird with the steering wheel, it seems to snap / default lock into right hand max turn position. Rather than return to default you'd expect of being central (facing forwards) it is as if the default is turning to the right. This makes turning left the time when I'm mostly likely to crash using touch controls. Did anyone else notice this?

17. Revolutionary Concepts

Nov 12, 2009
    Hi Chris, glad you're enjoying the game!
    Re: your steering issue, in literally thousands of games we've not seen what you describe.

To check, you realise you drag the wheel and hold it in the direction indicated by the flashing arrows yes? Release the wheel and it returns to the centre default position.

I'm assuming you are doing this and so can't think of any explanation off hand but let's see if anyone else reports anything similar.

Cheers!

18. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Hey RC, just wondering when an update for that whole "pause button registering as an input" problem could be released. Thanks!

19. chrisoshea

chrisoshea Active Member

#119 chrisoshea, Jan 18, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2011
    Hi please see this image..
    [edited out]

On the left is what I would image the default position to be, if the bars of the steering wheel were straight. What I see as the default is on the right of this image, as if the steering wheel is turning right. Sometimes the right lock is quite far. Yes my finger isn't pressed on the screen at this point :)

I just watched a video on youtube of someone playing and it defaults as you'd expect.

I tried to record a vid for you but hard with one hand playing. I hope this might help, please do say if i'm reading this wrong...

Let me know when you've seen/saved so I can delete the files.

(edit - i am on iPhone 3GS with iOS 4.1 in UK)

Also, the gameover screen that shows your score, would be great if you can just replay the level you are on from here. Very frustrating having to go back to the menu to select the same level again.

Thanks, keep it up!

[edit]
    Turns out I had tilt control turned on too, but didn't realise, thanks Revolutionary Concepts!

20. crescentia2010

crescentia2010 Well-Known Member

Hi Chrisoshea, from the looks of your video it looks like you have tilt steering enabled. Try turning off tilt steering.

I picked this game up a few days ago and the controls work perfectly. The key to mastering the game is to make sure you hold the steering wheel, brake, and turbo till the indicators stop flashing.

Keep up the good work!