Road of Kings - Open Ended RPG

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by DancingSorcerer, Jan 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kurtalb1

kurtalb1 Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2013
    Michigan
    MrMojoRisin,

Can you have multiple games going at once, or is there only one "save slot"?

2. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Looks like only one game at a time, which I'm sure will turn some people off to the game, which would be a shame.

But I bet if enough people ask for multiple saves and it is not impossible for them to add it in, I'm sure they would have no issues with doing so.

I'll ask them about it now and let you know what they say.

3. kurtalb1

Apr 16, 2013
    Michigan
    It certainly wouldn't be a game breaker for me, but it would be nice to be able to have more than one game going at once.

4. MrMojoRisin

Jul 27, 2012
    That's cool and I understand. They just told me that they would come in here and address it, so I'll let them speak for themselves. :)

5. Wow thanks for the support everyone!

We're still working towards the release on the 18th and will do our best to update here if it slides due to problems during the apple review process.

While we're waiting for review we're working on our first update!

As for adding multiple saves, we don't currently have this planned but it wouldn't be difficult to add. Personally I love seeing what my next turn will reveal in a game and I don't know if I could manage multiple games. We'll keep it in mind if it's a hot request!

We're always open to feedback and would love to add some community requested features in future updates so keep them coming!

6. kurtalb1

Apr 16, 2013
    Michigan
    I know you guys at Dancing Sorcerer are familiar with Barbarian Prince, so I'm curious if there is a "Wit & Wiles" attribute for the main character like in the board game and, if so, is it hidden or visible?

7. DSGPaul

DSGPaul Member

Jan 15, 2014
    Well, yes and no.

Our events tend to have more of a branching nature than Barbarian Prince because we can get away with doing a lot of checks under the covers and not have to ask the player to roll a bunch of dice all the time. This also lets us do things like have events hidden in specific locations, or influence the outcome of events based on previous interactions, etc. We made the choice pretty early on to not expose all these stats and rolls to the user to make the experience feel like a smoother story.

That said, I think the real point of Wit & Wiles in Barbarian Prince was as a balance factor. Some players would want a harder game, some an easier game. We did introduce the concept of difficulty levels to Road of Kings, which actually impact a lot more than one stat. For example, the difficulty will influence stuff like your chance to flee, how much food you start with, and how inclined strangers are to join your party.

We played with a lot of different difficulty levels, but didn't want to overwhelm the players, so landed on just two: Standard and Classic. Standard is a bit easier to give new players a decent chance of winning, where as Classic is more like Barbarian Prince or other board games of that era, where winning is a serious challenge.

One thing we've discovered recently is that we could do a better job in explaining in the UI what the difference between Standard and Classic is. We're hoping to address that in a future update.

8. kurtalb1

Apr 16, 2013
    Michigan
    I appreciate the answer and it all sounds good to me! I'm really looking forward to giving the game a go and I'm sure I'll enjoy it.

9. kurtalb1

Apr 16, 2013
    Michigan
    Are there mounts in the game to double movement (or more withe flying mounts) and/or allow more carrying capacity?

10. MrMojoRisin

Jul 27, 2012
    As far as carrying stuff, you can only have 20 food rations, but I don't think there is a limit to the other items you can carry, but you won't have that many items in an average given game anyway. And I have not come across any items or followers that can increase the 20 ration limit, though I think that might be a great option for DSG to look into.

And as movement goes, there are no mounts that I have seen, although that might be another idea for them to look at if they could implement it without totally rewriting the game or breaking the balance of it.

What can happen in the game, however, are random events that either slow you down or let you move an extra space in a given turn. There are even events where you can either choose to stay where you are or risk it and move.

11. kurtalb1

Apr 16, 2013
    Michigan
    Your prompt response is much appreciated. I really hope the game will come out on Saturday as planned. I'm probably a little too excited to check it out, haha.

12. There are mounts in the game but no flying mounts currently. Definitely something we would love to add in the future.

We did away with carrying capacity as another issue to manage for the player. Even with the benefit of the device doing the math for encumbrance it wasn't a ton of fun and an easy cut for us.

In our D&D campaign one of the most sobering moments is realizing you can't carry both the treasure AND the corpse of your comrade...

13. MrMojoRisin

Jul 27, 2012
    Oh wow, I haven't come across any mounts yet. Any hints as to where you can find them? :)

14. kurtalb1

Apr 16, 2013
    Michigan
    What is the approximate installed file size of Road of Kings? Not a big deal, but I'm curious.

15. DSGPaul

DSGPaul Member

Jan 15, 2014
    A bit under 30 MB.

16. MrMojoRisin

Jul 27, 2012
    Ya, it's REALLY small for all the awesomeness that is packed in. :cool:

17. PeteOzzy

PeteOzzy Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Norwich, England
    Ah man, wasn't expecting this to release today! Cannot wait to get settled in on the sofa and play this tonight!

18. kurtalb1

Apr 16, 2013
    Michigan
    Keeping our fingers crossed for Road of Kings release tomorrow. Can't wait for some good, old-fashioned barbarian adventuring! I even bought some old Conan books to read.

19. PeteOzzy

PeteOzzy Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Norwich, England
    It's already out isn't it?

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=216149

Or is that a soft launch? Either way, going to enjoy this one!

20. kurtalb1

Apr 16, 2013
    Michigan
    #40 kurtalb1, Jan 17, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
    Holy crap! It IS out! I'm downloading it now. Now I have to wait until I get home from work to play it. It's going to be a long day, but I've got something to look forward to tonight! Thanks for the heads up!