Universal Rockabilly Beatdown (By Rumblecade)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, May 23, 2016.

1. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
  2. new_ipodtouch5G_owner

new_ipodtouch5G_owner Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2015
    Canada
    Hi Rumblecade,

Oddly enough, the promo code HMJ39XXANNEP from Twitter (July 4) had not yet been claimed, just grabbed it today.

It was very kind of you to offer these promo codes.

Looking forward to trying Rockabilly Beatdown. I really like the art style. Thanks again.

3. james.miller

james.miller Active Member

Jul 5, 2016
    Dropout!
    Ohio
    absolutely agree with Billy, premium and then freemium with nothing cool to unlock is a letdown.

4. Rumblecade

Rumblecade Active Member

#24 Rumblecade, Sep 11, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2016
    Rockabilly Beatdown 1.1 Update!

Hello TouchArcade! Our update for 1.1 is just a wee bit late, but we’re happy to tell you it will go live September 15th, 2016.

[​IMG]

Of special note to those who engaged with us here on the forum is our new Unlocks system, it is a -free- update. This allows players with a bit of persistence to earn the extra costume colors and two new levels by meeting certain goals. It also easily lets us add new unlocks into future updates to keep the game interesting. And as a reminder to all the enthusiastic unlockers out there, over 30 Fist Rewards plus Game Center Achievements are still waiting for you.

If you don’t already have the game, here are some codes for the 1.1 update! We’ve tested a few and these should allow you to play the update ahead of release: >> CODES EXPIRE OCT 8th <<

1 -- 7NJHJPFM7PYR /// GONE
    2 -- 9XTTXTPM797F
    3 -- X3MH7RYFL3HR /// GONE

You can still get the game now, and all current players will get the updated features on September 15th.

The update also includes a cool new IAP hero, Jenna Von Jett. We recognize some players’ aversion IAP, but we’ve worked hard and put a ton of content into ours to make them a great value for expanding the game. And if you’re a fan of pixel art in general, you’ll really dig all the extra art and animation. The IAP heroes remain totally optional, and the core game is still packed full of stuff on its own.

For full details on every addition to 1.1, please read-up on this post at our devblog. Thanks everyone, keep punching!

5. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    Thank you!!!
    7NJHJPFM7PYR

6. sinagog

sinagog Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2014
    Thanks for the opportunity to play this. I'd never heard of it. Took X3MH7RYFL3HR.

7. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    I look forward to the update. I was actually playing the other day when I hit you guys up on Twitter.

I ended up purchasing the IAP for the costumes because in the end I like you guys and I see you have listened to your players. Thank you very much!!!!

I have to admit it is REALLY satisfying when you hit that super punch button. I really really love the artwork in this game. Whoever did it really has talent.

Billy

8. new_ipodtouch5G_owner

new_ipodtouch5G_owner Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2015
    Canada
    Hi Rumblecade,

Still enjoying my daily dose of a Rockabilly Beatdown. Such a great game with fantastic artwork.
    Thank you for your taking the time to interact with us on TA, and for the continuous improvements to the game.

I am really looking forward to the new update.

On a side note, that Boss Rush addition looks intense!

9. Rumblecade

Rumblecade Active Member

@LordShad0wz, thanks for your support, it really means the world to a small dev like us. FYI your costumes will start unlocked after the update in case you were curious (there was only a very small number of costume purchases and we thought this was most amicable solution). If you still want the unlock experience for costumes, leave a note and we'll tell you how, it's a bit of a hack.

@new_ipodtouch5, Boss Rush is a blast and we can't wait for everyone to try it!

10. rezn

rezn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Mar 8, 2014
    Male
    Coder/Keyer in medical ICD 10
    Reno, NV
    I forgot how much I enjoyed this game. Happy to see an update coming. Also are you saying we shouldn't buy any extra IAP's because those will end up being in the update? Or are these 2 IAP's different?

11. Rumblecade

Rumblecade Active Member

Thanks! Only the single Jet Black Pack was changed to unlockable in 1.1. So maybe don't buy that this week unless you want the shortcut :-D . If you were one of the (literal) hand full of people who bought the Jet Black Pack, they will start unlocked with the update.

Hero Packs remain IAP and are unaffected by the update.

12. rezn

rezn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Mar 8, 2014
    Male
    Coder/Keyer in medical ICD 10
    Reno, NV
    Oh okay cool thanks for the clarification. I wasn't one of the ones who bought them the first week. Just bought the game itself at launch. But I am one of those people that like to buy (or have) everything. Especially when it's a fun pick-up-and-play title.

Looking forward to the update. Happy to see you bringing updates as well! :D

13. LordShad0wz

Nov 19, 2014
    Well I bought it anyways so neener. With all of the content in the update I'm happy to further contribute. It looks like you guys have been working hard at it.

Billy

14. Jayg2015

Jayg2015 Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Male
    Player 1
    Liberty city
    Have u guys thought about making a free to play version and to reach more people and maybe generate more revenue and also make you paid game maybe $1.99 for those who just want to support you if they love it or get rid of ads

15. Rumblecade

Rumblecade Active Member

If it were only that easy :) There are many, many factors at play and every dev's situation is different. As we grow and evolve as a developer, more options on pricing and how to best reach our players will become available.

Biz talk isn't the most exciting topic when you just want to play a game, it's just a reality of game dev and we're trying our best to deliver and learn from all sides.

16. LordShad0wz

Nov 19, 2014
    You are right. It's a difficult thing to figure out. Usually when you have a price tag to get a game people do not like additional IAP. However I've evolved a bit on the issue. I take it on a game by game basis now. When I look at the game I look at it and I look at the initial cost and what is offered by the initial cost and then how much fun the actual game is. Then I look at the IAP and what that content is and what additional functionality it adds and what that cost is.

If you take a look at this game in an honest view, add in that you have a dev team that is communicative and willing to engage everyone even when they are pretty rough on them, and I have found that the IAP is with it in this game. I have just gone and purchased all of it. I now have all of the characters including the new one and the new levels.

To be honest I actually didn't realize that purchasing the new characters would also add new enemies and levels and backgrounds. You should emphasize this in the shop screen and not make it small words. I didn't even realize it until I looked at the new character after this big update.

The cost of the IAP is cheap. They are only asking for $1 per character which you also get new levels and enemies. The game is only $1. All in all your paying very little and getting a very fun game with lots of fun content. There are no ads whatsoever nor any timers of any kind. The devs have listened and added achievements and unlocks and new modes and everything. How can you NOT buy this game and support this dev team? I know I was hard on them at first but as you can see I put my money where my mouth is and I always call it as I see it.

Devs,

One thing I wish you would add, atleast I don't see it in the game anywhere, is the ability to share a screenshot with scores to Twitter or Facebook. I have a lot of player and devs on my Twitter and share my games on there. It would definitely let a lot of people in the industry see your work and it's a fun thing I like to do. Another thing would be a game mode where after you beat a certain number of enemies the level would change to another level. I guess it would be a type of arcade mode.

I love the update. Great job!

Billy

17. Rumblecade

Rumblecade Active Member

Social sharing, we've always wanted to include. The SDK's for this are a little daunting and it's going to take a bit more work on our end to get it all hooked up and smoothly integrated. With our core game feeling good and new features in place to easily expand content, it might take some time but we can now work on this kind of stuff!

Level warping as you describe was one of our early ideas and still something we'd like to figure out, like an arcade mode/story mode type of thing. Have also been toying with "+" mode for difficultly, but its an interesting balance to find between having a simple jump-in-and-play game versus cramming in tons of options.

We absolutely appreciate your thoughts and ideas, THANK YOU (and all our players) for your support!

18. LordShad0wz

Nov 19, 2014
    #38 LordShad0wz, Sep 15, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
    Having different modes shouldn't impact the jump in factor as long as the UI is set up right. I really like the idea of the + mode. That's a cool idea. I have had some long games and would love to see the levels and enemies switch. Sometimes I've restarted 3 times and got the same level/enemies all 3 times in a row. That's what made me come up with the suggestion for the arcade mode or level warping as you call it. Then there would always be variation.

Can I just say again I really freaken love the artwork in this game. Seriously. I know I've said it before but really I really do. Seriously the game is worth a purchase just for the artwork. I love the new levels and enemies as well as the bosses. I'm glad I purchased the IAP's. The extra content really is great.

I know you guys are still working on this but I'm interested to know, since I'm now a fan of you guys, if you have any other projects you might be thinking of or working on?

Will you be adding anymore male characters to the game?

Oh one more request. With the super punch. Is it possible that you can make it so we can choose the direction the super punch goes ? I had a massive group to my left and 1 to my right but the super punch only goes to the right. Is that possible to do?

Billy

19. Rumblecade

Rumblecade Active Member

@LordShad0wz:

Punchtastic (Super Punch): This always triggers the -direction you are facing- and we have never seen it force right during testing. So just turn around we hope?? There may be some odd exceptions, because bosses generally kill everything in their path and if they kill a Gold Frienemy (gold flashing enemy), Punchtastic will automatically trigger and you might get disoriented.

On a related note, not to get too technical but our enemy generation curve works via the direction you are facing as well. Both front-facing and rear facing enemies are on a time curve, but those curves are different. Bosses, however, only generate on the right.

Level Rotation: There are circumstances for repeats but they should be rare. For example, Goldie and Jenna always start on their "home" level on launch 'cause we want you to see what you bought :). If it so happens that same level is the natural "next" in the overall rotation, it will repeat on next play. Personally we do a dirty pause/quit/replay to skip levels if we feel like it. Our level rotation has some issues to be sure but we think it keeps things interesting.

Heroes: Our next two heroes will be male. Kondo Kazuki, whom we've briefly previewed on our social sites, is in the works now with new levels. Next in line is Manny Switchblade (TouchArcade exclusive news :-O !!) who is set as a free addition.

New Projects: Yes!! we are already development on Game 2 and are super jazzed about it. Not ready to announce just yet but plan to before year's end.

So glad you like the art, it's a passion of ours from way, way back.

20. LordShad0wz

Nov 19, 2014
    As to the Punchtastic, no kidding lol. I didn't think to activate it when facing left ROFL!! Thats perfect. Thank you!

As to the new upcoming characters that is awesome! I can't wait! I'll definitely be buying the IAP one for the content.

As to the rotation, ok. Maybe I just got unlucky those few times lol. I guess when it happens I could just end and restart.

That's awesome you are also working on another game. I can't wait to see what you guys are designing. I look forward to the announcement. If you do TestFlight you better sign me up!

Thank you for taking time out to interact with us here. I really do appreciate it. I think I added you guys today on Twitter. I'm @wgreklek

Go look at my profile pic you will crack up. I found one of my daughters hats when I was moving from when she was little and took a crazy profile pic. Lol

Billy