Universal Rogue Saga (by Jinwoo Park)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Eli, Nov 11, 2015.

1. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    #21 ScotDamn, Dec 29, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2015
    I really like this game and feel it's a must for RL fans. It's neat how streamlined the turnbased movement and combat work. Diving deeper and deeper lead to tougher enemies of course. I also like having several classes to unlock. A cool trick I stumbled on last night is that when you zoom out, time speeds up. Very useful when backtracking.

To try to sum the game up, it's basically minecraft-looking Diablo with permadeath I suppose. Obviously I say Diablo very loosely, I mean it as a dungeon crawler. Anyway, I really dig it.

2. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    #22 LordGek, Dec 29, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2015
    I'm enjoying it so far. A 3/4ths perspective roguelite with a blocky minecraft asthetic. I think the game's most novel feature is how it uses a clever turn based/real time hybrid for all of your actions. The game is for all intents and purposes turn based but the monsters are moving and acting as you move. So plot a long jog across a big room and you'll see nearby monsters take several steps toward you, but if you just take a little baby step, they'll also only come 1 step closer. While paused plotting your next move, time in the dungeon freezes.

The game uses food in a clever way as it both is needed to survive (you can see your stomach satiation decrease over turns taken), but it can also be used to heal you. The tricky situation is when you desoarately need healing and have food but are too full to take another bite (annoying when it hapoens but I have to admire it as a clever mechanic)!

It uses GC to track leaderboards and achievements, but as I am one of the AFFLICTED, I really have no clue what's there. Fortunately for me they also record your top runs in a local hall of fame separate from GC. Your deepest run is the value by which additional characters are unlocked, and as I've only played as the default fighter so far I have no idea how differently they play.

Monster variety so far isn't huge in the early levels, but still keeps stuff interesting by the many different types of goblins they implemented (grunts, armored, archers, and bosses), but I'm sure things will open up in deeper levels.

Lastly I'm liking how there aren't traditional spaces, so to speak, so that elements like line of sight or how closely monsters can group together feels much more fluid, like an RTS.

3. RinoaHeartily

RinoaHeartily Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2010
    Is this turn based?

4. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Yes BUT all of the monsters movements are resolved simultaneously with your movements so it can almost SEEM real-time. If you aren't moving or taking any actions, neither are the monsters.

5. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    Thanks LordGek and ScotDamn for your impressions. Sold me on the game. Always love me a good Roguelike.

6. Jetjet

Jetjet Well-Known Member

May 14, 2010
    Free until this morning in Europe !

7. ttkwan

ttkwan Member

Apr 5, 2009
    Hints

Has anyone got any good hints on this game?

I am finding that I am dying more from running out of food than from Mobs in this game.

Lowest level I have been able to get to is Level 7 with a priest.

My priests tend to do fair better because I save all the food and only use for hunger management. Since they can heal, they are fairly powerful.

With any other class, without ability to heal (except via scrolls), you have to rest and which makes you hungry, which makes you run out of food.

In one of my play through, I ran out of food, low on hp and low on mana = dead.

The food/hunger system is good, but needs tweaking as there is no way a Fighter/Ranger/Mage and go deeper because of lack of food. Yes I do eat the monster meat as well.

Has anyone figured out the anvil? or what to do with the herbs?

8. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Sure, here's a great recipe I stumbled onto!

Monster Meat + Herb = Shish Kabob (changes meat from poisonous to a great food source).

9. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    #29 syntheticvoid, Jan 4, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2016
    iPhone 5/iOS 7.1.2

I doubt this will ever be fixed. It's an old phone, with an old OS...

But the DEV should probably make it iOS 8+ if they can't get it to work with iOS 7...

Attached Files:

10. funambulist

funambulist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    NL
    Care to share any other recipes @LordGek?

11. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Sadly that's about all I have stumbled onto other than pairing the metal with a weapon for a +1 damage.

12. RinoaHeartily

RinoaHeartily Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2010
    I found a nasty bug.. I was at level 3 killed the goblin king. Didn't open the door and accidentally went down to level 2.. Came back up and the door couldn't open saying I need to slay the king for it to open... Duh!

13. ttkwan

ttkwan Member

Apr 5, 2009
    The game is free at the moment:)

I think I found another bug, but cant reproduce it.

I once decided to skip the Boss and go down instead as my equipment wasn't up to scratch. After leveling up I came back and killed the boss. Then I decided to keep going up to see if I can replay the levels.

When I reached level 1, the maps reset and I was able to play through again. Got to Level 9 on that character before dying because of a lack of food and rest.

How do you guys manage your food/hunger?

Thanks for the tip Lord Tek. Monster Meat is now edible without ill effects.

BTW, you can use spells anytime. The symbols remain the same, so if your write down the symbol of all the scrolls you will know what they are when you find them without identifying.

14. SimonMagus

SimonMagus Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2015
    I picked this game up for free today, and - at the time - thought it was a FTP game... I plowed through a level or two and loved it.. I went back to find FTP elements in the menu, but..?? Then, I pulled it up in Appshopper to discover that it was a short lived sale, and usually costs a couple bucks..

Rogue Saga is an engaging game that I would easily drop a dollar or two on without much thought.. It is a nice find that put a, much needed, smile on my face.. Thanks for the sale..

15. Skylez

Skylez Active Member

May 15, 2015
    #35 Skylez, Jan 5, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2016
    The app is not free on the Spanish App Store so I guess It will be an error...

Edit: Ah no, It was free yesterday in my country, not an error, The next time I will be more faster to take it hehe

16. Zivicus

Zivicus Member

Oct 2, 2012
    Getting no images on characters and crates. Just black boxes. Seems to have missing images in the backgrounds as well. Game still runs just missing much of the graphics. iPad 4 iOS 9.1

17. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    Man this game continues to get better with updates. It shouldn't be overlooked by fans of the genre.

18. jaege

jaege New Member

Feb 5, 2016
    I've found another recipe:
    monster meat + ash = AOE bomb

19. Papicus65

Papicus65 Active Member

May 8, 2013
    Same problem on my iPhone 5c, iOS 9.2. Not cool.

20. sinagog

sinagog Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2014
    Free right now.