Universal Rogue Touch (by ChronoSoft)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by CommanderData, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Rocco SE

Rocco SE Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2020
    Male
    Modern Mime Artist
    Austria
    Sorry for reigniting this very old thread. But I just redownloaded Rogue Touch, having such a blast still. I was just wondering if there is still a tiny chance that this game will be updated to survive future iOS updates, or if it is now abandoned for good? Dev‘s Twitter account seems dead as well. So, I don‘t know, if he is still active here.

2. CommanderData

CommanderData Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Hi there! News of my demise has been greatly exaggerated...

To put your mind at ease: I am planning to update Rogue Touch again to support newer iPhone screen sizes, and other important stuff that Apple requests these days of modern iOS apps. There is a TON more stuff that has been deprecated again since my last huge overhaul to avoid the 32-bit app apocalypse in 2017. This time it may require a near total re-write by the looks of things!

FYI - Someone informed me of an interesting bug just this year: depending on the keyboard languages you have installed Rogue Touch can crash when naming your character at the beginning of the game. I know for certain that the Thai keyboard being installed (not even the active keyboard, just available in the keyboard list) can trigger this, and maybe some other keyboards... so I'll definitely address that within the future update as well.

Not much traction will occur on this until January 2024 but thought you'd like to know :D

anthony78, Boardumb, LordGek and 2 others like this.
  3. Rocco SE

Jun 16, 2020
    Male
    Modern Mime Artist
    Austria
    #703 Rocco SE, Nov 27, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2023
    This reply makes me incredibly happy. I want to thank you so much for keeping original Rogue alive in its best playable iteration! Only things I could wish for would be the addition of a relative swipe-to-move control option (as in Cardinal Quest 2), and maybe alternatively a true ascii graphics mode. But those tiles are lovely nonetheless. Again, thanks for your reply.

CommanderData likes this.
  4. stubbieoz

stubbieoz Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    Are sound effects ever going to be a thing? :p

5. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    Pretty wild seeing this thread bumped. This game is the reason I joined these forums, and about a year later I'd start writing for TouchArcade. Been working here almost 14 years now. Where does the time go?

6. Rocco SE

Jun 16, 2020
    Male
    Modern Mime Artist
    Austria
    Just wanted to bump this thread again, since it‘s now February 2024 and I wanted to ask, if you are currently working on the update. Cheers, excited me :D

7. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    Not sure why I never picked up this game. I honestly didn’t think “roguelike” were even a thing 14 years ago.

Guess it hasn’t been updated for newer screens?

8. Rocco SE

Jun 16, 2020
    Male
    Modern Mime Artist
    Austria
    There are black bars at the top and bottom of the screen, yes. But game is perfectly playable.

9. Chq

Chq Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2013
    Swipe controls?

10. Rocco SE

Jun 16, 2020
    Male
    Modern Mime Artist
    Austria
    No, not yet, although I hope the dev is going to add that as an option. Currently, character is always in the center, and you touch one of the 8 directions around him to move one square or shoot/throw in that direction.

11. Rocco SE

Jun 16, 2020
    Male
    Modern Mime Artist
    Austria
    I know I‘m kind of posting into the void here. But I‘m currently playing and highly enjoying iNethack2, with graphics set to classic ASCII mode. And I‘m kind of hoping or asking, if it would be possible to add an optional ASCII mode to this game, in case it really gets updated?