Roguelikes

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by mountainmohawk, Aug 10, 2010.

1. madam_octa

madam_octa Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2009
    I agree with this one, I tried almost every roguelike on this platform and The Cavern is the only one I always come back to

2. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    Unity is just a graphical engine. Doesn't necessarily mean they'll release it on iOS.

3. del

del Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2010
    i don't know if this is a stupid question or not: how long is the average game in Cavern and Rogue Touch? I really like 100 rogues but I think I find something like Fargoal a little more pleasurable in the long run. In 100 rogues, it's hard for me to keep restarting after getting defeated. I know that's what the game is but it's kind of punishing - you don't feel as though you're getting anywhere. it's more like the kind of game I'll play once a week. whereas i find myself wanting to keep playing fargoal, just have to see what's under that fog! there's less strategy and it's maybe a less "clever" game, in a way, but wanting to play the game counts for a lot in my books.

just wondering how rogue touch and cavern compare. i'm guessing they're pretty harsh and, shall we say, purist-oriented.

4. Qordobo

Qordobo Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    #24 Qordobo, Aug 11, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2010
    ADOM is the best roguelike game I ever played, but the source code isn't opened. It's still on so many platforms that it's weird it isn't on idevice.

EDIT: Ha well the commercial (opposed to free roguelike) Shiren the Wanderer is rather impressive too. Its random engine is far to be as subtle than the engine in ADOM but it has a story management merged to roguelike mechanism which is quite fun.

5. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Cavern is much easier in the sense that you 1) don't starve and 2) can walk all the way back up to the top to sell unneeded goods (and maybe buy a thing or two...) It's not a cakewalk though. ;)

Rogue Touch really is the Cadillac of rogue games on the system. If you find yourself enjoying roguelikes, you will eventually want to buy this game.

6. del

del Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2010
    i guess I'll have to try it then (rogue touch).

I get a real kick out of these one-death no-continue games. it's the silliest, funniest genre - rolling the stone back up the hill over and over again, for whatever modest fun that allows you. when i die in fargoal, it's always because i got sloppy and just forgot to use a spell or something. i'm always kicking myself afterwards - and laughing at myself for continuing to play these ridiculous games. with 100 rogues, maybe it's even more frustrating because there really wasn't anything i could have done. an existentialist genre of game, definitely.

7. Isilel

Isilel Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    While I love Rogue Touch, it is also possible there. Some enemies are too tough to fight in an average game and must be avoided, but you won't always have space/items to manage that. Not to mention that you can occasionally starve, too.
    OTOH, I have to say that I had the most heart-pounding gaming sessions with RT and when the character manages to escape an almost certain death due to your clever use of items, satisfaction is great indeed.

8. CommanderData

CommanderData Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Haha! Oh, wait, I mean that's really awful! :D

I've gone on record as hating Griffins more than any monster... So much so that I gave myself a special "GriffinSlayer" sword for when I playtest. I'm thinking that Rogue Touch EX may shake things up a bit in the monster department- keep all the major types A-Z, but adjust their abilities and/or tack on a few new abilities for fun ;)

Despite being bogged down in a project for my "day-job" I've been making progress on both RT:EX and Mineko, just not as fast as I'd like. At least the new monster sprite animations for Rogue Touch EX are looking great! :cool:

9. del

del Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2010
    this is going to sound funny, but those actually look like pretty good graphics. it looks like your character actually has his weapons visibly on his person there. ha. okay, I'm going to try this one. even though fargoal has been occupying me plenty.

10. del

del Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2010
    what's going on with those controls, though? does it really clutter up your screen with 10 blue buttons like that? there has to be a better way.

11. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Every time I see the Spirit Hunter Minkeo videos I get distracted and confused at the way the shadows seem to click on and off... what I think look like ledges around the edges of the map. Is there something not quite right there or am I just looking at it the wrong way?

12. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    There's a reason the App Store features app descriptions:

- Movement/Attacking is handled with classic touch control or a virtual D-Pad for single handed gaming on the go.

13. RttaM

RttaM Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Swords of Fargoal and 100 Rogues are my suggestions. :)

14. del

del Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2010
    don't let it bother you that I asked. I saw the picture, I asked about it. it's a conversational thread. surely nobody's been all that put out.

15. CommanderData

Patreon Indie

The default control scheme for Rogue Touch has *no* blue buttons on screen. You play it by tapping in the direction you want to move, or double tap to make him or her run in that direction. The blue buttons you see are the optional "D-Pad" control you can enable in settings. Some people prefer one-handed play! :p

Regarding shadows in Mineko:
    There are a few places where things "snap" to a new edge as you make your way around them. That is a consequence of trying to calculate shadow geometry by hand. The wall tiles do not exist as objects with measureable dimensions, so the only way to cast shadows is to create some rules and assumptions on how you need to block areas Mineko cannot see, and then calculate a shadow to cover it up. Well, its more complicated than that, but you get the idea :)

The most recent video I posted in here is a dramatic improvement over the previous shadow methods (a couple of which you can see in the ChronoSoftVideos youtube channel) but still does not represent the game as it stands today. Things will continue to improve in all aspects of the game as I get closer to release :D

16. jstg

jstg Active Member

Dec 28, 2009
    Dock Worker
    Washington
    I'm looking forward to it. The more I play Fargoal the more I fall in love with it.

17. CommanderData

Patreon Indie

I agree, it's amazing how much Madgarden's been able to improve upon the original Sword of Fargoal formula with each update released. Version 2.0 is going to be a real treat ;)

18. tzual

tzual Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Can anyone tell me what that "r" is on the left. I can't seem to figure it out.

19. CommanderData

Patreon Indie

The "r" stands for "ranged weapon", a shortcut to allow you to shoot a bow or crossbow if you have one equipped. Normally the popup context menu handles that in the Classic Touch mode (you can also enable an option to tap the weapon shown at the bottom of the screen in that mode). Anyway, I figured a dedicated button for firing arrows or bolts would be nice for the D-Pad controls :D

Spirit Hunter Mineko will have different controls for movement and ranged combat. I'm thinking about porting some of those control ideas into Rogue Touch EX and releasing that first so I can get some good feedback on them ;)

20. tzual

tzual Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Alright cool thanks. Is Spirit Hunter Mineko in its final stages? Will it be released within the next month or 2? And by the way, CommanderData i sent you a PM :)