Universal Romans In My Carpet! (by Witching Hour Studios)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, May 27, 2014.

1. Baracus

Baracus Well-Known Member

Looks good! Dub-Step in my carpet!

2. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Peculiar. I always play Mercs on my 1 mbit 3G connection, and moves propagate extremely smoothly, even when I'm out in the wilderness and reduced to Edge. (I even async'd off my iPhone during 7 days of mountaneering, lost in the far northern swedish wilderness ;) )

3. miroa

miroa Well-Known Member

May 22, 2013
    Have you tried yet? I am curious to see a gameplay video of this game.

4. Saucepolicy

Saucepolicy Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Feb 18, 2009
    Crispy ex-game developer
    Any game with a dedicated multiplayer component that doesn't keep the game logic on the servers is asking to be hacked and the multiplayer experience ruined. The workaround is to segregate single and multiplayer progress (which this game doesn't), but that has its own disadvantages, not the least of which is needing to parallel-path your progression with two different profiles. In the end it's a subjective choice based on what a developer believes will benefit the majority of their player base, and that's what they chose.

Rearchitecting an online game to support offline play is a giant undertaking, despite your perception that single-player shouldn't require it. As the dev stated, the app on your device is "dumb," all of the game logic is on the server. It's not simply a question of turning the online requirement off.

5. GoneFishin

GoneFishin Well-Known Member

May 16, 2011
    I bought and enjoyed $10 Scourge but skipped the free Mercenaries due to the network requirement. Although looking forward to this release, I'll take a pass on Romans also.

If a network connection is going to be required for all your future efforts I may as well write you off now. Fortunately there is no shortage of good iOS strategy games. Regardless, good luck with this new title.

6. Tebius

Tebius Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Creative Lead//Witching Hour Studios
    Hardly. It's simply a legacy issue from Mercs, where single player missions could affect multiplayer balance. Once the game logic is built on the server, it's a huge effort to put it into the client, as mentioned by Saucepolicy. I understand that the community is a bit burnt with online only for no good reason (<Cough> SimCity), but it's basically a bandwidth issue for us to duplicate the game logic on the client. We're a really small team and we're doing the best we can!

All in all, cheers for the well wishes! And yes, there are lovely games out there! =)

7. miroa

miroa Well-Known Member

May 22, 2013
    Has anyone tried this game yet?

8. Ubisububi

Ubisububi Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2009
    California
    I can live with the always on internet if it works well and keeps people from cheating and/or stealing it. What's holding me up is the presence of IAPs that are, as yet, undisclosed on the App Store.

9. Tebius

Tebius Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2011
    I can help you there. There's only flag customisation for sale. We have no intention of nickel and diming you guys.

10. dreadnok

dreadnok Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2011
    I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum I'm ou
    Congrats on the release guys

11. Ubisububi

Ubisububi Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2009
    California
    Then I will buy it right now. Thank you for the swift reply!

12. Tebius

Tebius Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Thanks buddy! =)

Woot! Thank you for the support! =D

13. miroa

miroa Well-Known Member

May 22, 2013
    Two TA members gave this game one star. I am curious to know why.

14. Praymettin

Praymettin Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2012
    Shackles of online is the point of no-buying for me. Unique concept, adorable artwork, tactical gameplay all would have sold it but I hate feeling the "lines" of Online around my wrists any more. Good luck to you though, it definitely looks like a good game, 2 stars is a bit harsh.

15. Silvers

Silvers Well-Known Member

May 18, 2014
    It looks fun, but with so many other great new releases, the always online requirement is a borderline deal breaker...

Is it there due to something essential for gameplay?

16. Tebius

Tebius Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2011
    I understand, thank you for the well wishes! We'd do it differently were the option open. =D Happy gaming!

It's mostly to combat cheating, and the fact that it uses an older engine where the game logic is on the server.

17. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    #37 Ayjona, May 28, 2014
    Last edited: May 28, 2014
    In any game where multiplayer and single player shares progression, online requirements are essential to combat cheating and maintain competitive balance. I don't know (yet) if this is the case in Romans, but it certainly was in Mercs. And a very good thing it was, since Mercs offers one of the most jovial and cheat-free competitive online communities of any game.

If Romans work similarly, perhaps the real problem here is a misunderstanding of the nature of the game; perhaps Romans is an asynchronous multiplayer game with bonus single player content.

18. Morphzeus

Morphzeus Active Member

Aug 10, 2013

That would interest me as well? The biggest scrap of games gets five stars. Why this gets so few here? Perhaps because the developer has given itself five stars? I think this is the reason.

19. Tebius

Tebius Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2011
    I did what?

20. strivemind

strivemind Well-Known Member

So does that mean that the gameplay is essentially identical to Mercenaries? What's the difference aside from cosmetics?