RTS Idea - In Need Of Dev.

Discussion in 'Developer Services and Trade' started by MetroGnome217, Aug 20, 2009.

1. Newtz_2001

Newtz_2001 Member

May 11, 2009
    Game developer
    New Zealand
    Ah yes sorry that must seem misleading! I have another TouchArcade account associated with the company I work for and I do most of my posting under that account. So I'm not as new to these forums as it would appear. Since I was expressing a personal opinion I preferred to use my personal TA account rather than the business one :)

2. Theta-Omega

Theta-Omega Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    Classified
    I understand, and i'm referring to all the JMs that are new and do that, this just reminded me i suppose, but i do admit to thinking you as a new member, though i do remember seeing you somewhere before :)

3. statnut

statnut Well-Known Member

May 23, 2009
    Someone should round up the Junior Members and shoot them.......with a water gun.

4. Theta-Omega

May 5, 2009
    Classified
    Gravity Cat not amused.

5. Hmar9333

Hmar9333 Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Book Salesperson/Student
    Melbourne, Australia
    Calm down everyone, remember, we were all junior members once too...

6. statnut

statnut Well-Known Member

May 23, 2009
    What about keyboard cat?

7. Theta-Omega

May 5, 2009
    Classified
    We should back off from them. I don't mean anything rude towards them. I suppose i just wanted to point that out, though i ignored the fact that they might indeed be using another account. Anyways, you're right, we're getting more every day, we should stop arguing and welcome them.

Also, gravity cat is a reference to something rather obscure.

8. Flashbang99

Flashbang99 Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2009
    And we all know what playing tennis with a brick wall is like ;)

9. MetroGnome217

MetroGnome217 Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2009
    so there are no devs who would like an idea for the app?
    the price for the idea is free except for a
    -promo code for game(s)
    -beta test spot (to help the direction)
    -I could help w/ marketing

10. Speaking as an established developer (ZenYes with 3 titles out, and a massive 3D flight/combat simulator currently in production), we've evaluated the possibility of doing a 3D strategy game for a handheld device in the past. However, we dismissed the idea due to the fat fingers syndrome, where precise input is very difficult on a small hand held device. Games which work in a hand-held environment are different to games made for the desktop environment, which again differ from games designed for the console environment. We concluded that the handheld environment had major flaws when it came to serious strategy games.

In all honesty, developers and publishers have millions of their own ideas, they're not exactly short on them. However, considering that the iPhone/iPod has a relatively new and unique control scheme, there is still the possibility that a radically new and exciting control scheme (and a game concept) still haven't been discovered yet. Therefore, as a developer, I cannot dismiss every person who comes along with a great new idea - there is always the chance that the person may very well have discovered the next great thing.

It would be foolish to disregard MetroGnome217's idea because of his age. For one, he is more intune with what younger people like and consider fun than what us older developers and producers think (heck, I was raised on Space Invaders and Kong over 30 years ago, I'm definately not in touch with what younger players enjoy). Secondly, for all we know, maybe he really has a great new idea which hasn't been done before, and would actually work on the iPhone/iPod Touch.

People with great ideas shouldn't be too "secretive" with their ideas, since by now most of them have already been done in one form or another. Didn't Shakespeare once claim that there were genuinely only 25 plot ideas, and every book/play/movie etc is a combination of these 25 ideas? During the course of my career working for various companies, I've seen over a hundred thousand great ideas, but have only seen less than 30 titles actually shipped. It's an enormous leap to go from concept to production, and I'm sure that other developers will also confirm that in their experience there is less than a 0.1% implementation rate (idea/product).

So, a final word of advice to MetroGnome217 (and everyone else) - dont hoard your ideas thinking that everyone is dying to steal them from you. Serious developers and publishers just dont have the time to do this, since we're not exactly short on our own great ideas. Write up a design document, post it on-line somewhere. You'll get feedback from not only potential game players, but occassionally a developer will see it as well. If everyone slams it, then the game was never meant to be. If people like what they see, word about the game will spread. If a developer/producer see it (and like it), they'll definately get in touch with you to further flesh out the idea. Best case scenario, you end up as game designer, and possibly hired by the company to work on it. At the end of the day, noone knows more about that game than you. Speaking as a company owner, I'd definitely hire a talented game designer if they have the ability to develop fun game mechanics. Unfortunately, there are less than 10 people I know in the entire industry who have the goods, and they're already snapped by companies with bigger budgets than ours :(

Have a little faith in humanity and common decency. Post your ideas, and if we like them, we'll contact you to arrange something. Just be prepared to be shot down, since there is less than a 0.1% chance that anyone will act on it.

Disclaimer: numbers in above post have not been statistically or empirically validated :)

11. 99c_gamer

99c_gamer Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2009
    you might want to find someone who's already making an RTS and tell them you want to be a tester since you have some great idea or something...