Universal Rune Raiders - (by Retro64)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Will be getting this after work. Looks great.
    One thing: app icon looks a little....well I'm not sure it really suits the game. I'd change it if I could.

2. Dense

Dense Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2009
    Really liking this game so far. Lots of depth and can certainly be challenging as some of the creatures you fight really do hit hard. The artwork really suits it and the mission difficulty is nicely balance. The levels take a reasonable time to complete but if you get the right party together you can clean them up quickly. I think the video shows exactly what the gametype is like, played exactly how I hoped.

3. lazypeon

lazypeon Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

#23 lazypeon, Mar 15, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
    This looks ridiculously awesome. Been following it for awhile -- definite instabuy from me!

EDIT: Really liking the positioning/formation mechanics and the depth it adds. I didn't have time to watch the whole video, so 2 questions:

1. How many units/classes are there, and can we expect more in future updates or as IAP? I'm a sucker for DotA/LoL style games with crazy numbers of heroes :p

2. What are the differences in the classes? Do they have a single ability they use (simple) or multiple abilities to choose from?

4. Retro64

Retro64 Well-Known Member

Hi LazyPen:
    Currently, there are 12 different heroes. And yes, we plan to add to the game, but we're undecided about the IAP thing.

Each class has a single ability, it's pretty simple really. There are perks to expand on that simple ability, though. The perks can also make a weaker character into one of the strong ones. I would say which ones, but I don't want to give anything away :)

Thanks,
    Mike

5. Dense

Dense Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2009
    When we get to the end of the 15 levels, is there the ability to replay them with harder difficulty but with all characters unlocked?

6. beelzebubble

beelzebubble Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2012
    Bought and enjoying it, up to level 5 or thereabouts.

Only complaint is the small amount of levels. Would love another free 15. Would also consider paying for another 15 (though free is better, of course).

7. Edmilan

Edmilan Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Philippines
    Considering that the game only has 15 levels, are the levels easily finished like in a day? any replay value once the levels have been finished like increased difficulty?

8. injuwarrior

injuwarrior Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2011
    USA
    A few difficulty levels and a survival mode.

9. Retro64

We didn't want to do 100 watered-down levels, so each new level has something new in it, 14 of them have new monsters to fight.

Also, there is the familiar star rating for each level. It's really pretty tough to get 3 stars on some of them, though going back with more powerful characters does make it possible.

There is also more dialogue for the characters that weren't around for the earlier levels.

10. gunxsword

gunxsword Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    Can levels be replayed for gold?

11. Drexiel

Drexiel Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Commercial Diver
    Ponce, PR
    woot finally on US Store :D

installing now on my ipad :D

12. Janders

Janders Member

Mar 15, 2012
    Columbus, GA
    Been waiting on this ever since I first saw it advertised. Can't wait to try it out, but right now I'm sleepy, so it will have to wait on the morrow.

13. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Game Impressions

I'm not into TBS games, and particularly not into ones where you just battle without much sense of setting, story, or greater goals, but this game is simply outstanding. So much so that in spite of above hurdles to overcome it's pretty much got me hooked. I wasn't really sure what to make of it at the beginning, but once things opened up and it dawned on me just how many different strategies are open to you depending on which characters you take to battle, the penny dropped. On a gut level this game reminds me of chess. For a TBS game that's about the highest compliment I can think of.

I'm still unsure how long this is going to hold my interest (other games in the genre don't have the best track record,) but if TBS is your thing, don't hesitate for a second.

14. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    Thanks so much, Mike. I am looking forward to getting that promo code and playing again!

15. amn624

amn624 Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2008
    publisher
    Nassau County, NY
    Not sure what to think. Played 5 levels, seems way too simplistic. Maybe I'm missing something? Will monitor thread for info.

Tapping for info on characters is not too friendly. That could be fixed.

16. beelzebubble

Jan 27, 2012
    Doesn't seem like it which also detracts from the replayability. I had a little trouble with one level so I thought I'd go back to an earlier level and grind. You just go back to the save state that was created when you started that level so you can't grind/build gold. Maybe survival lets you grind for gold and level ups.

I understand where you are coming from but after 45 minutes of play I'm halfway through. I think there is probably a nice medium between 15 and 100.

17. Retro64

You definitely can go back and replay levels to earn gold. I do it when I need to gear up for a tough level, like the Cyclopes.

18. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Knowing how much it seems to take to impress you with a game, I think your post just sold me on this game. I like TBS games, but very few "grab" me and keep my interest for long. This already sounded intriquing so think I'm going to have to give it a go myself.

19. beelzebubble

Jan 27, 2012
    I don't know what I was doing wrong, but I just tried again and it worked. Gotta make sure you don't spend too much on a party though ;)

20. gunxsword

gunxsword Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    #40 gunxsword, Mar 15, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
    I shelled out $$$ seeing how the dev confirm the inclusion of replaying levels for gold.

Played it for a few levels. I must say I'm impressed with the interesting combat scenarios and level design.

However, the game doesn't seem to explain anything so I don't know how some perks are supposed to work, esp in relation to the throwing knife woman (Dagger-Throwing-Crossbow).

Btw must have a restart level/return to level select screen button in pause menu.

@beelzebubble (the anime isn't that good imo, fyi)
    The first level doesn't give gold when replayed, 2nd one (and beyond) does.