Universal Rune Raiders - (by Retro64)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Mar 14, 2012.

1. lazypeon

lazypeon Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

I've also played 5 levels, but I see how it could get complex. The game plays like a TBS, but it's really sort of a puzzle game. It's also a lot like chess, in the sense that it's really the positioning of the units that's more important than anything else.

Some of the perks actually change your character's attack 'grid' (you can see it highlight red if you tap the hero in play), and so figuring out where to put the hero is really critical. I could imagine some of the later levels on a harder difficulty only having one possible solution -- this suggests it's kind of a puzzle game at heart. Other similar TBS games have things like set-piece 'challenge' levels, which are similar.

One suggestion I could make is that there really isn't enough info about each unit on the hero purchase screen. I'd like to know the special power (eg: the cleric) and also the attack 'pattern'.

Enjoying it a lot so far. Very unique and fun.

2. Drexiel

Drexiel Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Commercial Diver
    Ponce, PR
    this game reminds me of battle frontier :O

i like it :D

3. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Is there a chance in hell this game could get a multiplayer update where you battle other players online? That seems like it could be amazing.

4. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    I would add async playing too with Gamecenter friends :)
    Could be EPIC SUCCESS.

5. Gabrien

Nov 24, 2009
    Yes, for a turn based game there's little reason to not go async I think. Various size arena battles with various sized groups makes my mouth water. Particularly as up to level 8 at the moment I'm beginning to find the single player game too easy. Against human opponents the possibilities and challenge would be endless.

6. injuwarrior

injuwarrior Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2011
    USA
    Yeah the levels are really unique to each other and you cannot always stick to the same strategy. I find the horseshoe guys came into being the most useful in the later level. I kind of wish i had not updated the healer show much as she was quite frankly useless later on.

Glad you got it out the door and I had a great time testning it although I could not be as active with it as I wanted. The released version is looking exceptional so far.

7. Retro64

Retro64 Well-Known Member

This is something I really want to do. It sort of becomes like Hero Academy that way, but I want to play vs people at Rune Raiders too. I don't want to make promises, but it is definitely on the list.

8. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Only have played the first two levels, but one thing that's a little confusing compared to other TBS games is actual actions. It appears that all the attacking is automated after you move, but what about the healer? I haven't been able to figure out or see whether she's actually doing any healing, And do the potions automatically get applied to the just to the character going over them?

Even not knowing the strategy it takes, the first two levels were a breeze, but the third one really ramps the difficulty up quickly. Go from like a few enemies sprinked here and there to a whole bunch (particularly at the end).

Although it seems simple enough when compared to other TBS games, a little tutorial on individual character movement restrictions, attacking and healing would be nice.

There's quality here and it definately looks like it's got a lot of potential.

9. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    1. The healer automatically heals, but you have to be in the healer's target area. When it triggers, you will see an animation.

2. To see a character's target area, tap and hold (or drag) the character. Offensive characters have their target area in red; the healer's is green. This works for enemies, too (although you can't drag them around).

The mechanics are interesting, but the game seems a little bit dumb, because you can just replay the first mission over and over with one or two heroes to net a substantial profit every time, so it's easy to just fully level up all of your heroes. Why even bother to have a gold cost for upgrades, if it's easy to get infinite gold? Maybe the survival mode makes more sense than the missions.

10. Gabrien

Nov 24, 2009
    The thing is, the game allows you to select your own level of challenge by picking as many or few characters as you like to complete levels with. In a single player game I see nothing wrong with this. If there wasn't a way to make the game more challenging there'd be a problem. How much gold the payer is able to accumulate is academic; the game is easy enough to play through without any grinding at all once you know what you're doing.

11. DaviddesJ

Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    Well, I do think it's the designer's job to create one (or more) levels of difficulty and challenge, not just say, "We'll make the game trivial but it's up to you to decide how much to handicap yourself to make it interesting." If you're supposed to decide how much harder to make the game by using fewer characters or skills than you could, then why have level-ups with a gold cost at all? Why not just let the player choose which skills to enable or disable for free?

12. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    i believe there's a difficulty selection when you select a game mode.

i like everything about this game but i wish the mission mode was longer. 15 seems too short. 30 seems like a good number..

13. C.Hannum

C.Hannum Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    Upgrades don't cost money, they're earned by killing enemies (or maybe it's just random, haven't actually figured out what triggers it).

All infinite money would do is let you bring whoever you wanted every time and resurrect all you wanted. Admittedly, you can just play missions over and over again to level party members up anyhow, but it's not related to the gold ;)

14. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    #54 awp69, Mar 16, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2012
    Yeah, I understood that. That's fairly typical in a TBS. But, you usually can choose an enemy in that range to attack. This seems to be completely automated upon movement.

That kind of removes some strategy, but you can't just keep moving your entire row of characters up the map and expect to succeed. At least, you have to plan out as far as putting stronger characters first, etc.

I'm just not sure if I like the auto-battle/heal mechanics. Sometimes someone is close to dying and the healer doesn't seem to necessarily "heal" that person.

Just seems simplistic, but if you don't grind a little bit, there is a sense of challenge.

While a bit kiddish in its art style, I still think my favorite TBS game on the iOS (that isn't a port) is Trouble in Tin Town. Great controls and difficulty is easy at first but ramps up nicely.

15. C.Hannum

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    Hadn't heard of that one, but it's on sale for a $1. Recommended TBS for a $1... the devs owe you a nickel commission ;)

16. DaviddesJ

Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    You're mistaken. You can spend gold for upgrades in the hero selection screen. Tap on a hero, after hiring it.

17. C.Hannum

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    I'll check that out, had assumed you needed to play for the little upgrade arrow thingees.

18. Retro64

Retro64 Well-Known Member

In watching many people play, they wanted to go back and earn gold. But you have a point too, so we'll see what the next update holds on that front. First and foremost, it looks like everyone would like more levels- that's a good thing. I will keep a close eye on this thread and we'll try to deliver the best we can. (but also not too hardcore TBS)

Thanks!
    Mike

19. swampthing

swampthing Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2010
    Nice little game, but the advantage that certain characters, particularly those with ranged attacks, have over close combat guys is a little much.

20. iZombie

iZombie Active Member

Feb 7, 2012
    Woah i purchased it. Spent the next 4hrs on it.

TWO THUMBS UP!!! I highly recommend this lil game.

And i agree, the current levels feel a bit short.... 30 should be about right.