Universal Rune Raiders - (by Retro64)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Mar 14, 2012.

1. badmanj

badmanj Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Software developer
    Reading, England
    I love it and gave it a 5 star review... however not so sure now...

Game is too short and the 'endless' mode crashes every time for me. Does anyone else have this problem?

As .-1 says - 30 levels would be perfect. Happy to pay IAP for additional levels on this to be honest - I'm enjoying it so much.

Cheers,

Jamie.

2. Edmilan

Edmilan Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Philippines
    same here, really enjoying the game! needs more levels and maybe additional characters?

3. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Add a hardcore mode where you can't replay completed levels, or you can replay but gold is reduced and no level up arrows appear. Add more levels, even if IAP level packs. This game is pretty awesome.

4. Mfox76

Mfox76 Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2010
    Great game , but please give some attention to the survival mode, it crashes to home screen every time at different points in the middle of playing. So right now we have only 15 quick levels and a broken survival mode:-( wouldn't be writing this of I didn't actually enjoy the game enough to want more though.

5. Rafnel

Rafnel Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2012
    Just so you guys who bought this know the devs have said on the app store page that they submitted an update to apple to fix the annoying survival mode crash. Also, this game is like the best thing ever, so if you don't have it, get it.

6. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    I played a few more levels, I like the concept but I'm just not impressed with the implementation. Picking off monsters by shooting them over and over, while they are out of range or trying to shoot through a wall, gets repetitive fast. Spending gold on a small group of high-level heroes seems very efficient, and then every subsequent level you don't have to level them up again. The idea that I'm supposed to guess, in advance, on each mission, how much to handicap myself to make it challenging, doesn't work very well. If survival mode is fixed, I'll try it, but so far I'm pretty close to writing this off.

7. Retro64

Retro64 Well-Known Member

If you enable Game Center from the Rune Raiders main menu, you will also not get this issue. Just waiting on Apple to approve the real fix- excruciating! :)

8. Kirenx

Kirenx Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2012
    Aside from everything DaviddesJ said, all of which I agree with (bet you never thought you'd see that eh David?), I find there is too much power creep in this game. The later heroes should be different, not simply better stat wise. I think this will be the biggest barrier keeping this game from having an engaging multiplayer in the future, but also limits the choices in singleplayer. The upgrades would have been more interesting if they never simply added something, but rather changed the unit. So an upgrade that gave + attack would - defense. This would have keep the game from being simply about unlocking the last few characters which are straight-up better, and then fully upgrading them, leaving you with nothing else to do. At the least, maybe the upgrades should be temporary, not permanent static improvements, as this would give more need for gold, and also allow more skills to easily be added later.

9. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    Has anyone else noticed slowdown while playing this me? Running on an iPad one, I seem to get slowdown which I think may be linked to game center whenever I check achievements and go back to the game. The game steadily slows down and seems to get worse with every attack little little until the game becomes so choppy I have to close it out and restart. Mind you, I have all apps closed, nothing open or running when playing the game and have even experienced this after a full restart. Anyone else with this?

Otherwise, great game!

10. iZombie

iZombie Active Member

Feb 7, 2012
    Anyone knows how to beat the grimreapers (no death) achievement? :eek:

11. Retro64

Yes, try only using a team of 1.

12. iZombie

iZombie Active Member

Feb 7, 2012
    :D:D

K, just did it with a duo.

13. Pupi

Pupi New Member

Mar 17, 2012
    The characters you get later on do seem good, but I think every character has a niche.

The heroine is an amazing character despite being one of the first you get. She can dodge attacks and is really powerful. She's great to solo levels with due to her high damage and evasion.

The archer doesn't have the damage potential of the waitress, but he does have the freedom to be anywhere he wants. He is great to help pick off enemies that the heroine cant finish off.

The wizard has a weird attack range. But unlike the waitress and the fairy, he can make his allies stronger. Pair him with the tree and you can make a formation where you never have to move out of.

The tree is seemingly useless, but his ability to cut down rocks makes him really useful.

The Arabian guy is melee, but he does huge damage across an entire row. You can set up cool things with him with rocks, he can just spin over them.

Basically, all of the characters have their uses, and you can set up a team around them.

14. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    I'm really enjoying this one. I didn't think I would, based on the impressions here... but after playing through the first 4 levels, I'm hooked. Yes, it's repetitive... there's really not too many games that aren't. But the core mechanics that are there, are all done very well, and are fun to play with. I think it could go for a difficulty spike (I dunno if there is a jump, I'm now on stage 10, and am still finding the game fairly easy) - but other than that, it'll looking like a game that I'll play through to the end. =oD

15. Kirenx

Kirenx Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2012
    The Fairy, Waitress, Swordsman, Tree, and Centaur not only have attacks that match or surpass the earlier characters, but their base armor is generally 4X higher, meaning their survivability is far superior. You can have a total of 6 units, and the bear is the only higher end unit whose use is questionable due to a low attack radius in a game that promotes large attack ranges. You CAN play with the lower end characters, but they simply make the game harder. It shouldn't be left up to the player to make the game harder. If the characters had less of a power creep, players could mix and match for more varied strategies without feeling like they are handicaping themselves.

16. Pupi

Pupi New Member

Mar 17, 2012
    I disagree. The only character that I feel is weak is the archer, and even he has a use in a small team due to the fact he can stay out of range of everything. His splash damage needs to do more.

The barbarian has a lot of damage potential, and the heroine can evade attacks all day. The heroines evasion more than makes up for her low armor.

I do agree that the more expensive characters could stand to have less armor, especially the waitress and the fairy, but I still think all of the characters are useful.

17. AENIGMA

AENIGMA Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2011
    NY
    It's on sale for 99ยข

18. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Using the ninja is tricky but I absolutely have to have him in my team. I think he adds an extra element of difficulty by having to attack from behind. And the archer I think is the best long range unit imo.

19. Retro64

#79 Retro64, Mar 17, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2012
    My favorite team is:
    Heroine (leveled up)
    Centaur
    Healer
    Ninja (leveled up)
    Pun Tree
    Forest Fairy

The elf is a bit too vain and corporate for my tastes :)

PS: the 99 cent sale is running for a very short time to see how it affects our position on the charts. So far it's climbing slowly.

20. nfong

nfong Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2011
    I can't believe I missed this one this week, didn't know it supported 2nd gens. Getting it now :)