Universal Rune Raiders - (by Retro64)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Mar 14, 2012.

1. beelzebubble

beelzebubble Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2012
    That is sort of lame from the point of view of someone who bought it the day it released. I also finished the game in a couple of hours, definitely too short.

2. CroRock

CroRock Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2011
    Croatia
    I know how you feel... been there million times.. and thats why I put RR on appshoper wish list yesterday and bam... sale! hehe, saved 1$. It could be worst if it had gone free.

I haven't play it long enough to say if it's short or not but I'm interested in future updates. Will there be new levels/enemies/perks/heroes/... maybe multiplayer??
    It's a great game and it has potential to became even better with some love put in updates

3. iZombie

iZombie Active Member

Feb 7, 2012
    My fave 3 has got to be:

Waitress (isn't she the Princess?)
    Tree (awesome if you place him right)
    Healer

4. Tinsel

Tinsel Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    It affects me ever buying one of your games on release day. Sales are great, but the same week as release??

Next game of yours that interests me I'll put in appshopper and just wait.

5. Quorlan

Quorlan Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2009
    Game Designer
    Georgia
    Amen to that. I love sales too but you just shot everyone who supported you out of the gate right in the foot. Won't be buying another of your products above $.99, I'll just wait for the sale next time, especially since it seems I won't have to wait very long. Thought I was showing support for another developer and support for the "greater than $.99" price point for GOOD apps and games, but when a dev pulls something like this I find it to be quite irritating. Color me an annoyed customer who likely won't be back.

6. CroRock

CroRock Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2011
    Croatia
    After spending 2 hours in this game, I can easily say it's well worth 1$. that being said, I only have 3 more lvls to beat the game (on 2 stars per stage) so for 2$ I would expect little bit more content. To finish all stages with 3 stars it takes much more then 4 hours I guess.
    BTW.. can you add requirements for completing stage with 3 stars.. in pause menu maybe.. plz?!

Love this game and I'm having fun playing all that characters (which of them are overpowered IMO) so I really looking forward to more content updates!

just don't abandon this game.

...and don't put it on FREE in next few days! plz :D

7. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Add another voice to the two above. This is highly distasteful. Developers: you can't have it both ways. Especially if you're indie. The big guns can afford to focus on the quick buck. You need to build up a fan base and a good name in the community. This isn't the way to do it. I've been recommending your game left and right since release. Not another word after this sort of action from you. Not a peep.

8. C.Hannum

C.Hannum Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    As a counter point, I could not care any less that I paid full price and it's now on sale and think anyone who sees this as an affront to them go find the nearest suicide booth and make use of it post haste ;)

They shouldn't have put it on sale in all honesty, not because it insults those who paid the launch price, but because it teaches people to think like those who are complaining and those who just waited to begin with thinking, "Two whole dollars for multiple hours of entertainment? What a rip off!".

One of two things is going to happen in the app store in the not so near future: devs who continue to make novel, interesting games and support them are going to be weeded out, or those who actually care that a $2 game is now $1 or even free are going to be weeded out. To paraphrase Gabrien, we can't have it both ways ;)

9. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Wow... Well, I, for one, don't mind the sale. It happens all the time, and it's happened with games that I buy enough for me to know that there's a pretty high chance that games will go on sale within a month of being released.

To deal with it, I only buy games the day theyre released if I either like a developers previously released games, get the feeling that the game deserves what little support I can give, or it's a launching sale. If its something that I just might like, or the developer has a habit of dropping the price of their games the same week as their release, I just pop it on my wish list.

It happens so often, I'm surprised that anyone is caught off guard when it happens.

Anywho... Devs, I hope this sale gets you more attention like you wanted, we all know that the best time to get your game to move up on the iTunes charts is basically the month (within 30 days) of its release... Then after that, it almost always plummets off the charts.

Hope my WHOPPING $2 goes to help add more content to the game, or buy you a double cheeseburger from McDonald's... But really hoping its content. =oP

10. KiddToKmart

KiddToKmart Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2011
    Game Impressions

Between my discovering this game (that too, because of the sale) and Sky Gamblers, it's been the best week for iOS gaming since I got my Vita.

Sky Gamblers gave me a reason to get back to gaming on my 4S and this game's giving me reason to 'extend my stay' :)

So far on Stage 7 and the game's getting pretty fun. I seem to be finding lots of success using the following characters, in the following layout (pardon the names/errors):

Viking - Tree
    Archer - Healer
    Minotaur - Wizard

The Wizard's levelled up "square shot" provides great firepower from three rows back, as do the Minotaur's horseshoes.

Mid-row archer provides some good support damage in all directions, while the priestess (healer) provides healing to several characters.

The Viking and Tree dish out the most up-close damage and healing these guys is easily taken care of by swapping the Archer/Priestess' position when required.

Was having trouble trying out several other combinations with other characters but this seems to click the best.

11. Gabrien

Nov 24, 2009
    #91 Gabrien, Mar 18, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2012
    The real point isn't anybody's "hurt feelings." It's that through moves like this, developers are actively nurturing the mentality that it's not worth buying anything on the app store at above 99c. I'll spare you the spelling out of the irony this creates.

12. Retro64

Retro64 Well-Known Member

Guys, I am sorry about it. And it won't be an issue next time, because we'll simply start out at 99 cents and raise if needed. This is our first app and we had no plans to lower the price, but quickly learned how much it affects chart performance and how price conscious iOS users are.

So I chatted with my long-time buddy, who is an owner of Donut Games, and he explained a lot about the market to me and how it works. I wish I could go back in time and launch at .99, as it would have been better for both me and all the great users here.

I will make it up to you with updates! :)

13. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    See... I thought that mentality was already there, and has been for the last year or so. I can't tell you how many people I've seen post here on the forums that they'll never pay more than a dollar for anything ever again...

I was just throwing out there how I deal with it, and my views on it. I didn't mean to say that you all have hurt feelings or even bring that into it... though even with my views on it, I will say that it'll always end up rubbing me the wrong way when a game goes on sale within a week of it's release...

But was more saying that it's not leading to anything, because it's already there, and that it's been there for quite some time.

14. Gabrien

Nov 24, 2009
    #94 Gabrien, Mar 18, 2012
    This isn't meant to be combative, but I am pulling no punches either. Ok? Here is what I am seeing:

So you should have done your homework beforehand - but didn't.

When you realised you'd made a mistake, you still had a choice to make - and made it. Sacrificing the good will of your early adopters was the price you were willing to pay. (Or did your friend not advise you there'd be that price?)

Lastly, since by your words above it's fairly clear that the price drop is intended to be permanent, the least you could do is to remove the lie in the app description that infers that this is to be a temporary sale.

15. Gabrien

Nov 24, 2009
    #95 Gabrien, Mar 18, 2012
    Well, it's been cultivated by moves like these. And yes, it's claimed the mentality of the majority of the app store punters already, but is that a reason to give up on those still holding out? I'm one of them. Am I the only one? I don't think so. How else will the tide ever turn if not through developers researching the market before release then sticking to their guns? Not forever, mind you, but there is a world of difference between a month and four days after release when it comes to having a sale.

16. Gabrien

Nov 24, 2009
    Last point then I'm out of this thread: what of developers who do do their research? Who do stick to their guns for whatever reason, even if it is simply believing that they are charging what their game is worth? How do moves like this one affect them? This isn't simply a matter of punter vs dev. I am just sick of this mentality that allows people to always just do what's best for them. At the time. Without feeling any responsibility to look at the bigger picture. Obviously this problem isn't confined to the app store.

17. Quorlan

Quorlan Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2009
    Game Designer
    Georgia
    Now THAT is the kind of developer support that takes an irritating situation and turns it right around in my book. A developer who steps up and explains the action that caused some to complain (myself included) and promises to compensate for the mistake in the future is one I can put my support behind. My only suggestion now would be, next time do your market research first (i.e. consult with your friend at Donut before you set your launch price, understand how the market works before launch, etc). Trust me, I understand making mistakes in this business is pretty easy to do. Especially in a market where a $1 price difference can have such a huge impact on chart performance. Best of luck to you and thank you for responding to the community with your rationale. I take back my earlier statement and will support your products in the future.

18. Retro64

Retro64 Well-Known Member

Thanks, Quorlan.

Market research? What's that? :) I know it's foolish, but all I was concerned with was making Rune Raiders and making it fun. I also changed the description, though I am still undecided about raising the price.

19. beelzebubble

beelzebubble Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2012
    If this game is the sort that floats your boat, buy it people whether it's at 99 or 1.99. It's a quality release (and we all know that most of the stuff that comes out isn't) and support is what ensures that we see more of the same.

20. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    Why should he do what you want? People can do whatever they want. Launch at $19.99. Make the game free on alternate Thursdays. Try a price and see what happens. Hire a firm to do their marketing. Play around with pricing themselves. Poll the TouchArcade forums to select a price. People can change their minds, experiment, and learn, that doesn't mean they have some kind of moral obligation to do what you consider an adequate amount of research before making decisions.