Universal Rune Raiders - (by Retro64)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Mar 14, 2012.

1. CroRock

CroRock Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2011
    Croatia
    Congrats on entering top 100 paid games!
    I was always wondering how much copies you must sell to enter top 100??

I bet that most of potential buyers on appstore don't even know for TA forum and this thread.. so, this discussion is irrelevant. Numbers are all that matters. And in this case they work for Dev. And I am glad to see that.
    Wish you best with sells and don't forget on promise you gave with content update ;)

2. C.Hannum

C.Hannum Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    +1 to this. All this chest beating over $1 is beyond immature.

In the end, what I wish more developers would realize is that, as critical as charts can be to short term success, the vast majority of launches will still fail at charting no matter the quality and they'd be better off in the long run figuring out what is a price they can live with the revenue from at the *expected* sales and not *hoped* sales, and then not budge from that launch price for at least 2 months. If more devs would budget development and pricing with that in mind, the app store environment would improve for everyone except the cheapskates. So long as everyone is under pricing to chase the charts, the situation isn't going to improve for devs or gamers. Games should be charting because they're good, not because they've under priced everyone else for the perceived degree of novelty. If your game interests me, I'm going to buy it whether it's $1, $2, or $3 and I am not going to care which. If you're game doesn't really interest me that much, well, sure, I'm more likely to jump if it's $1 vs $2 or $3, but I'm just not sure when you're talking a niche thing like a grid based TBS that there's enough fence sitters out there to offset the lost revenue from those who were going to snap it up regardless.

3. eAdvisory

eAdvisory Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2011
    Detroit
    exactly. well said.

4. Rafnel

Rafnel Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2012
    This game is really short right now but it is a really well done game, pretty original and I cannot wait for future updates/games from Retro 64. I was an early adopter and I feel no regret for buying it early because I got a lot of enjoyment out of this and survival is also pretty fun after you beat the game. I've never been good at strategy games, but this game makes it simple and intuitive but still challenging. Will definitely keep an eye out for future games and better yet, updates!

5. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Well I've came to post my opinion. The price drop really made a difference for me, because when this came out on Thursday I looked at it but was unsure what the game would be like. But when I saw the price drop to 69p I thought "what the hel" I'll take a chance on pretty much anything for 69p.
    and I'm glad of the price drop because after playing the first few levels it's looking like this is a really fun game and it seems silly that I would have passed on it because of 69p price difference but I suppose that's just the way the app store works.
    69p is the norm, anything more and it has to be pretty good or people just complain or skip it.
    Just my opinion but glad I've got it now anyway.

6. nfong

nfong Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2011
    I'm quite happy with the game; 99c or $1.99, it's well worth the purchase.
    I wish people would stop harassing the dev because he dropped the price a few days after release; he already apologized for his mistake, and promised to make up for it, so cut the guy some slack, lol.

7. gunxsword

gunxsword Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    "Market research is any organized effort to gather information about markets or customers."
    Wikipedia: Market research

You didn't Google the term before posting?

8. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
  9. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
  10. dclose

dclose Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Well, the sale got my attention, but the bit about being unsure about future IAP got me to hold off, then the dev's response to this "sale controversy" encouraged me to... INSTABUY!!! :) I shall enjoy my 15 levels, at least. Congrats on making the "new and noteworthy" list!

And P.S. Thanks for making this a universal app!

11. nfong

nfong Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2011
    GC achievs aren't syncing for me for some reason...I play the game with wifi off, and when I reboot the game later with wifi on, none of the achievs I earned while playing offline are synced.

12. ANIMALCHOPPINGS

ANIMALCHOPPINGS Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2011
    Canada
    Same here, it kinds sucks since I beat the entire game when I had no data connection

13. Retro64

Retro64 Well-Known Member

I just checked and that is a bug. Luckily, the fix will get those past achievements in there because they are stored locally. I will include in 1.03 and I apologize for that, argh. That's 3 known bugs to fix for 1.03.

-Achievements not syncing.
    -There are rare situations with deaths where two tiles can be stacked on each other.
    -Perks are still randomly spawned even when all the characters are maxed out.

14. nfong

nfong Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2011
    Awesome, thanks for the quick fix! :)
    One question though - seems like survival mode scoring is based off of your original money + the money you earned + the bonus. Basically, the more money you start off with when playing survival, the higher your score will be. Wouldn't it be better if scoring was based off something like enemies killed, rather than total money? This way your score strictly depends upon your performance in survival mode.

15. ANIMALCHOPPINGS

ANIMALCHOPPINGS Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2011
    Canada
    You don't have to apologize, I beat the game and loved every minute of it.

16. Artfoundry

Artfoundry Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    COO and Creative Director at LCD Dreams, Inc.
    Bay area, CA
    Has anyone had any crashes? I was just playing a survival game, and when my last guy got attacked (with half health, so it's possible that attack would have killed her), the game crashed/quit. I lost probably 45 minutes worth - over $10K!! :mad::(

17. JCat

JCat Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    CEO E-Commerce
    NY
    I'm really enjoying this --- great humor, tactics, visuals, sounds, adrenaline- pumping battles and simply a fantastic cast of unique characters. Polished, addictive and highly recommended!

18. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    I actually made my own icon since I didn't like this one's too much =p I never even touched the healer...

[​IMG]

19. iZombie

iZombie Active Member

Feb 7, 2012
    if Retro64 says he's going to make it up with updates, that's good enough for me! :cool:

Agree, that Healer icon is kinda "off-putting"? Viking or the Minotaur will be better. I was apprehensive thinking it was going to a "Top Girl" kind of RPG... :D

20. Retro64

Retro64 Well-Known Member

We actually put every character in the game, plus the bird and the skull from the title screen, on our website and counted clicks. The healer won pretty easily. It was against our intuition, but we went with the numbers. Personally, I would love to use the ogre or the skull.