Universal Rush Rally (By Brownmonster)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Brownmonster, Mar 19, 2015.

1. Brownmonster

Brownmonster Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2015
    Software Engineer /Company Director
    England
    It'll be out in the coming months, it uses the tech which allows us to create games quickly. The main difference will be realistic car setups (correct Torque/speeds), and a view from behind and inside the car. The top down nature will be gone. Then it will stand out as another different game too.

We also have another racing game as a spin off in the works too but more on that later :)

2. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I love the game 'engine' you're using

Would love to see this type of look and feel in a game with a leaderboard. Eg 'mariokart' where you get points for 1st,2nd,3rd,4th and its a tournament. Eg 4 races in Europe, finish top to unlock the next 'season'

I do like rally games (bit boring when its just one car) but if this was a league/tournament against computer opponents in various tracks/races with points it'll be great

3. GPS

GPS Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Australia
    Oh Man, you guys have just become my favorite Dev's, I love racing games, (track and rally), I have a feeling I'll be owning all your stuff in a "do not delete EVER" folder, cheers #

4. retrogamOR

retrogamOR Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2013
    Love the game.However,i'm playing on a IPad Air1 (IOS8) and it auto set the GFX to low.

I changed the GFX to medium,but this effects the framerate drastically....Particularly at the end of a race when GOAL is on the screen & dust is kicked up.I'm talking major framerate issues here (When GOAL is on screen).

It shouldn't be like this on the IPad AIR surely?

Great game though.Will purchase later today.

5. Brownmonster

Mar 19, 2015
    England
    #65 Brownmonster, Mar 20, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
    Cheers, unfortunately we use ALOT of alpha/transparent stuff because most of our stuff is procedurally generated. PowerVR/Apple devices don't seem to cope well with this at all. (hence the problem with when it says goal because of all the dust kick up). I think we will add a slider to lower the resolution and keep the graphics on high because that will probably look better.

It's basically the same spec as an iPhone5 with 4x the pixels to draw because of the higher resolution.

6. retrogamOR

Aug 4, 2013
    Ah,OK.Thank you.Just bought it.Love top-down racers...And this is one of the best i've played on IOS.

7. F34R

F34R Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2012
    Great racer for sure. So far, loving it. Having to learn the tracks, handling, etc., but it isn't hard to pick up and improve race by race.

Would love to see some tilt controls for the steering. I see the post about a sequel.. that's pretty interesting for sure. I went premium on this for the sake of supporting such great effort.

Playing on the iPad Air 2.. nice. I'll test it out on my Nexus 7 (2013) as well. Maybe some vid comparisons.. maybe.

Would love to see some more detailed visuals, but I'm definitely not complaining for what you've done thus far.

Leaderboards are a huge plus! I'll be playing to be at least in the top 5 lol. These times are with a couple attempts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Brownmonster

Mar 19, 2015
    England
    Thanks!

RE: Tilt, it really didn't work no matter what we tried because from the top down view and the laggy camera you didn't really get the feel of "where" the car was steering to, i'd rather not have the option that have one that didn't work. With lower camera and the new one this won't be a problem. Annoyingly on pretty much every other race I've worked on I've been the person to sort out all the tilt and I've been beaten by my own game!

Nice times! You can share your replay too and it'll upload a video for everyone else to see :)

Sony Tab is the racer to beat, he keeps email me asking for more competition ;)

Those green buttons on the leaderboard allow you to download that ghost time BTW.

9. F34R

F34R Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2012
    Ahh, makes sense regarding the tilt. I had that same thought, but I'm so addicted to using tilt with RR3 lol.

Yeah, you guys have done a really good job with this. The visuals are decent, the effects are nice, and the controls are good as well. Add in the leaderboards, ghosts, replays, social aspects; definitely a winner.

Can't wait to see what you guys can do with the next release.

btw, bought premium on google play for my Nexus 7. ;)

Interestingly, I beat my times on my android vs my ipad lol.

10. Brownmonster

Mar 19, 2015
    England
    Hehe cheers, so my times are under "Stephen Brown" (set on Android), my mates times who tested it are "Jordan Butters", set on the iPhone6, i don't think there is much in it other than dedication to beat another time (TBH ive not played it in ages due to working on the next!!).

11. F34R

F34R Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2012
    Oh no, I didn't mean it to be easier times on android. I probably should've said "since I've already been on the tracks on the iPad, the times improved"

Times for stage 1 UK:
    Went from 0:49:437 (not placed) to 0:35:494 and 28th place!

12. F34R

F34R Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2012
    Hate to double post lol...

Just had a really decent run and went from 28th to 7th baby!!

[​IMG]

I'm coming for ya Sony!!!

13. Brownmonster

Mar 19, 2015
    England
    Nice work, wait till you get to Ethiopia and Japan, they are my favourite locations by far. Infact UK is a bit dull considering its the first rally. Something to improve upon for sure!

14. F34R

F34R Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2012
    I'll definitely be in all locations. I just need to beat as many people as I can lol.

I had the #1 ghost a few races ago, and I had him by a tire and I didn't hit the left turn button on that last turn, and I failed!!!

Break time before I toss the Air 2, well, in the air lol.

15. Brownmonster

Mar 19, 2015
    England
    I love it! The beauty is that I have had some of the ghosts including my own by over 0.5s and then the pressure mounts and I stuff it into a tree! I wish everyone was as passionate as you for it!!

16. F34R

F34R Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2012
    It's heartbreaking when that thousandth of a second in the last turn can negate the progress you made lol.

I am really enjoying the game. You should make another IAP and call it the Sponsor Badge and it puts a nice badge or banner on the profile or something. $4.99 and I'd pay it.

I just like supporting products that I enjoy, and this has hit the mark early.

17. Brownmonster

Mar 19, 2015
    England
    Great stuff, you are not the only person to have suggested this, so i think i'll add one in. In fact I have 2 more cars in Rush Rally 2 and we could add them to Rush Rally as a sponsor purchase for a bonus for helping out!

18. retrogamOR

Aug 4, 2013
    This maybe a stupid question,but..... I purchased the IAP and it said something about 2 cars or something similar,if you do buy the IAP.

I have 4 cars in the garage (still have to unlock 2).I'm pretty sure that's how many cars there were before i purchased the IAP.

19. Brownmonster

Mar 19, 2015
    England
    Yeah i need to change that, it used to be buy to unlock cars, its now unlock with progression. Thanks for the heads up.

20. retrogamOR

Aug 4, 2013
    No problem.And thanks again.