Sanuku - cost of all those gameplay vids

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Sanuku, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Madman100

Madman100 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2011
    Apparently he has some type of 'exclusive tech' that he had to "sign an NDA for" so he couldn't speak about it and in all honesty I call BS on that. All you need is an HDMI Capture Card that would run you near $100 and the right video recording software.

Here's a tutorial:

Knowledge is the greatest gift.

2. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I could swear the last time I asked he just told me straight.

3. B34$T

B34$T Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2009
    I thought he just used DisplayRecorder.

4. Madman100

Jul 6, 2011
    #24 Madman100, Jan 20, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
    Well that was nice of him..

5. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    Wanted to chime in and say thank you to Sanuku for the hours of work you put in every week in order to make this a more informed forum. We owe you a debt of gratitude and instead of that you're left having to defend yourself all because some whacked out nut job is conjuring up conspiracy theories. I thought we were living in a society where all were given the benefit of not having to prove their own innocence. In fact in The States all are innocent unless someone else can prove guilt. Evidently those who accused would rather hurt than appreciate. To those, I pity. Yes, pity.

6. Madman100

Jul 6, 2011
    Yeah, those kids had no idea what they were talking about.

7. ge0c31t

ge0c31t Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2009
    Also a big thank you from me for the time and effort you have put into these videos Sanuku!
    You have helped me many times on my decision to buy an app or not.
    Thank you again for all you do here :)

8. Card

Card Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    Toronto Canada
    Somebody hire/sponsor this guy. You do an amazing job Sanuku.

9. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
  10. RodmanSan

RodmanSan Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2010
    Project Management Architect
    E-Troid, the Netherlands
    #30 RodmanSan, Jan 21, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2012
    I would like to thank you for your great work...TX....!!!

Even more strange that a topic has to be created to defend yourself for some spamming nitwit concerning the fact if all the games in your vids are honest or pirated games.

In what way does Sanuku needs to prove himself...send that guy copies of your itunes bills....what crap is that...:confused:

I see nobody else doing what you are doing....and as long that you make these high quality / long videos is enough prove for me that you at least take the time and effort to record these....iso. worrying myself if it is payed or not.... :rolleyes:

11. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

Yes I do play a few other Games on my PC and my List of Games that I have bought on Steam is even bigger then the List of Games on my iTunes Account :D

Time is really a huge Point and I can tell you that there are Days like Yesterday where I simple don`t wana touch my iPhone/iPad 2 for even a Second since I`m not in the Mood for those things.

It might sound strange but while i believe that the current Version of SOPA/PIPA sucks we need something like it more then ever in a different Form.

I have seen the last few Years a lot of Developer simple give up because they don`s sell enough Units while half of the Planet were playing their Games and the iTunes Store had simple one Rating from me and none other for like Months.

I have a huge respect for the work that Big Albie had done in the first Years and we all know what he had done for TouchArcade and that will never be forgotten.

About the Personal Vendetta that someone or a Group of People are currently doing:

I don`t have a problem with it since it does only proof that my work did reach a bigger Audience then ever. Working with many Developers together from the Beginning so their hard Work get`s shown to a bigger Audience was my target and I was the luckiest man alive when i got asked last Year by a lot of them if I could provide them Video Material for the Unite 11.

I still don`t know if someone just has a Problem with me or if it is against TouchArcade itself.

I might never get an Answer for that Question at the End but all I know is that when I started to post those HD Gameplay Trailer at the Forum it did started so I can assume that the truth might be right between that Question.

Something like that might always happen, at least once a Year. It began last Year after I had started to upload HD Gameplay Trailer for TouchArcade where someone from Sweden wanted to Blackmail the Youtube Account I was using at that Time and did ask Youtube to close it for whatever Reason he could find at that Moment.

While Youtube did take down the first Video that he was demanding after a short Period they did take a closer look at it and saw what he wanted to do and released the Video again and since then I never had a second Problem since I`m pretty sure that Youtube now takes a deeper look if something similar happens ever again.

You only get a Promo Code from a Developer if they trust you 100% or they have still one Promo Code left so it`s not like that you ask them and always get one.

A few Developer/Publisher aren`t even sending Promo Codes to anyone out to avoid Piracy.

Thanks I really apprentice that Feedback!

I was never about the Fame. Many Trailer that are out there do contain Material from me because I told the Developer that they don`t have to mention my Name since I prefer it always to be don`t named since that would only distract the Community.

It was and will be always about the Games - And that`s something that I won`t changed at any Time - doesn`t matter how many Times something like the current try to blackmail me will happen.

*= Sorry for cutting your Text out but the 10000 characters long Limit did made me do it.

That wouldn`t help the Developers at all. I prefer to pay for a Game at the End if it's worth it to support the Developer.

Yeah I know, and you were right about that Point. It`s still that Gameloft did showed their true Face at that Moment and that`s something that will be really hard for them to make me change my Mind about them.

Yes the Setup did changed over the Months. And It`s true that I never would made a Secret about it if I wouldn`t get sued if i would simple tell how it is done.

I can only explain it the Way i did it a few Days ago when someone had asked me the same Question as you Guys did that the Reason is the same as like in the Case those Nintendo Recording Devices for the 3DS aren`t listed on any Tutorial on the Internet.

That Methode mentioned in the Tutorial isn`t working since Apple did closed that gap within a few Days later after the Tutorial was posted. Don`t trust me? Ask a few Developer and you will know if i tell the truth.

If you ask why it was closed?

The MPAA would literally crash into Apple if it would be that simple to stream "every" Material to a Recording Device. The Movies/TV Shows/Appz are protected by a Law that doesn`t allow Apple or anyone else to make it as simple as that.

So please do me the favor and don`t call it Bullshit since i had written for a lot of Developer Tutorials how they can record things on their own till I got a letter from an chancery that told me in a "friendly way" to stop doing it and I won`t risk a damn lawsuit just to prove anything to anyone.

I did sign a NDA and that`s all I will say about that topic.

12. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    Second!

13. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    Did I start something?

14. Madman100

Jul 6, 2011
    Strange. Recent comments in that video seem to indicate it's still a legit method. I don't have an iPad 2 so I can't speak from personal experience.

@Vovin Awesome sig, where'd u get it? :D

15. chickdigger802

chickdigger802 Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Atlanta GA
    As much as I appreciate what you do for ios gaming as a whole. Can you PLEASE keep the aspect ratio fixed?

Pixels are square.
    Pixels are square.
    Pixels are square.
    Pixels are square.

Seeing an ipad res game stretched to 16:9 just hurts my brain T_T.

Otherwise appreciate your work!

16. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

I promise I will look into it and find a Resolution that does fit all needs.

17. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    I've always wondered why Sanuku calls them trailers instead of gameplay footage.

18. Barcâ

Barcâ Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2010
    The only way I can see myself making videos of great quality like Sanuku's is using Display Recorder and then using another recording device to record the audio. Like using the Voice Memos app.

Then renaming that memo to an appropriate name and using iMovie to edit.

Ive tried and tried but the ambient noise around me is being picked up...I will find out how you did this Sanuku...I WILL!!!!

19. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

To tell you the truth I don`t know. I did just call them Trailers from the Beginning without a Reason.

May the Force be with You!

20. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Thanks for pointing me to this thread Sanuku. You really do go way beyond the call of duty with your work here on TA. Still think you should get a job doing this stuff.

In any case, I'm glad you can afford it because it helps me a lot when picking and choosing what games I buy. I certainly spend my fair share on iOS games, but there's a reason why I've mostly given up console gaming -- the cost. I try to limit myself to like $10-$20 a month (and do give exceptions to costlier games when I really, really want 'em).

So many, many thanks to you and others like syntheticvoid on the forum that can give us the low-down on the tons of games that come out ever week (so at least our addiction can be somewhat tamed ;) ).