Sanuku - cost of all those gameplay vids

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Sanuku, Jan 18, 2012.

1. [M&B]Games

[M&B]Games Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2012
    Dear Sanuku. I know you said you are done discussing how you record, but could you release the company name?

2. botomatic

botomatic Well-Known Member

Jul 16, 2012
    Just wanna say thank you for the trailers! :) Keep up the good work for as long as you enjoy doing it.

3. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Amazing work Sanuku.

4. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

5. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    The work Sanuku does is one of the main reasons I come here, super informative and helpful person.

6. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Is Sanuku the guy behind all those touchgameplay videos on Youtube?

7. biokid

biokid Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2013
    Wop Wops
    Yes! All of them.....He is a one man SWAT team for all IOS gameplay videos :cool:. Are you being serious or sarcastic?

8. iPadisGreat

Dec 10, 2012
    Being curious.

Always I see the name Eli bandied about, but here in the forums it is always Sanuku...

iPadWondersWhyBiokidisSoTouchy...

9. biokid

biokid Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2013
    Wop Wops
    They are the same person. I thought most people know that it is him......so I thought you were joking or something along that line.

10. vii-Lucky

vii-Lucky Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2013
    Great.

Just great.

11. iPadisGreat

Dec 10, 2012
    No, I did not know, but do so now. Thanks.

iPadisStillLookingForARetinaMiniFolioCase...

12. biokid

biokid Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2013
    Wop Wops
    I love folio case as well......... moleskine ones! :D

13. jontas

jontas Member

Jan 30, 2013
    I am very grateful to Sanuku for all the work that goes into making these videos, and like other people in this thread, I always just assumed he was part of the TA crew. I can't imagine putting in all that time/effort/money without any kind of official recognition or compensation, but that just makes what he is doing all the more amazing.

Part of me thinks that TA should officially recognize Sanuku and make him part of the staff. If they do that (and pay his iTunes bills) then it ensures the videos will keep coming. As things stand now, things could change in Sanuku's life (maybe gets a new job or a new boss or some other random event) and all of a sudden there are no more videos.

Anyway, regardless of what happens, thank you for all the hard work! You have definitely helped me make purchasing decisions dozens of times, and whenever I am ambivalent about a game the first thing I look for is Sanuku's video.

14. Snozberry

Snozberry Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2012
    I swear back a few years ago sanaku said he used a different method that was wayyy cheaper.. But maybe that got scrapped when apple update the pricing scheme to account for currency fluctuations?
    The current method must be quite costly! Hopefully he recoups some back from YouTube advertising? But I don't even think he monetises his videos because it might be copyrighted..so maybe not.

Either way, I think we can all agree that sanaku is an absolute legend.
    It's crazy how quickly his channel grew, I still remember when he only had a few hundred subs. Now he is pretty much YouTube famous.
    To keep up with it every single week.. It's a huge feat, he sure is dedicated.
    TA should put him on the payroll cause Wednesday nights would suck without him! TA wouldn't be the same without him that's for sure.

15. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

Since more or less the current two last pages were about what TA should or what they should have done in the past I would like to make a few things clear since otherwise it might look like there is something going on in the background which it totally isn`t.

Let`s start with the most asked Question:

Why has TA not hired me to be their Official TouchArcade Video Dude?

Someone from TouchArcade reached out to me in early 2012 and asked me if I want to join them. I told them more or less that it wouldn`t work since I was at that time more or less the Guy that would literally piss off many of their current and probably upcoming advertiser since like a bull in a china shop I often had at that time a real hard time to tell a Developer what they had done well and talk more about it and instead instandly turn to something like asking them...

Why their current Game is as bad as it could be and if they really expect anyone to acutally pay for it at the current point?!

I believe that at that time I could have done more harm to TA then acutally helping them to grow. Things have changed since then and I have calmed down a little bit but I still believe that it was the right decision at that time.

Just to be clear:

Since then there hasn't been a single day where someone from TA has treated me in a bad way because of my decision back then. I would even go that far to say that since the Guys started to create their own Video Content on their own their might have been at least one moment where one of them has realized how much work it is to get some Content online on time and with what bullshit you have sometimes to deal afterwards if some Developer/Publisher don`t like what they see.

Are you still paying for all those Games or are you getting all those Games through Promo Codes?

In 2013 I have spent so far $2870 on the iTunes Store for Appz. That's a little bit less then I had spent in 2012 because thankfully a few Developer/Publisher are friendly enough to sent me a Promo Code of their Games either ahead or after their Games launch on the iTunes Store.

Are you getting rich because of all those YouTube Videos?

No I am not the Mobile Version of PewDiePie. Mobile Views are still and probably might get never paid and since TA is about Mobile Videogames + The TA App isn`t supporting the Ad Program of YouTube at all, some might have already guessed it in the past why some of those that did post their Videos here have dropped out or stopped completly with doing it and might have switched to Websites like Reddit or Facebook.

If you are not getting rich why are you still doing it?

Short Answer:

I am dumb :D

Long Answer:

I didn`t started it because of the money that might be involved. Some of the long time User on TouchArcade might even remember that I hadn`t a single Ad on my Channel till like the second Year into doing this hole thing (I am currently in my third Year) and some of the Mods on TA thought even that I had forgotten to turned it on and asked me about it.

Things changed a bit in Mid/Late 2012 when I had actually manged in one Month to spent more for iOS Mobile Games then my monthly bill at my local Supermarket was.

Those that know me in privat know that I am not shopping at your local Aldi Market so let`s just put it that Way:

If you are spending in one Month more then 1/4 of your monthly earnings you will rethink what you are doing and when everyone arounds you ask you since months why you haven`t any ads on your Channel you will at that time consider turning it on, doesn`t matter how much you had told yourself that you won`t ever do it.

Ok we get it - You aren`t rich and still pay for like 99% of those Appz, but why are you still doing it?!

I enjoy doing it and for each Thank you, because of your Gameplay Trailer I have bought the Game I keep doing it another Day and since March 2011 I had at least read/heard it once each Day and I will keep doing it till I won`t read/hear it anymore...

16. Kotovsky

Kotovsky Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2012
    Hey, Sanuku, thank you! You are the man.

17. Gov

Gov Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    Sanuku... I Salute you ;)

18. nightc1

nightc1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    Read all of Sanuku's posts from page 1 to here and most of the others. I definitely appreciate the videos. They have helped me on dozens of occasions.

19. HansKaosu

HansKaosu Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2013
    #59 HansKaosu, Dec 21, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2013
    Sanuku got lots of nice gameplay videos.. but..

There is one thing that's been irking me.

You upload every new game trailer and put ads on them.

This steals attention from the developer's YouTube channel.

Yes.. YouTube prioritizes videos with ads.. and i think Google does as well.

So there i said it.. Please stop. Otherwise keep up the good job.

20. Gov

Gov Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    ^ ban him !!