Universal Saturday Morning RPG - (by Joystick Labs, LLC)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Apr 4, 2012.

1. coop510

coop510 Member

May 9, 2012
    We made a decision to only let Garfunkel use multiplier on one of the enemies. The first version of that item pretty much wrecked the game with how powerful it was, haha.

Also: I don't always get called a genius, but when I do it's because of puns in an obscure video game.

2. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    #482 oooooomonkey, Nov 13, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2012
    Ah we'll I suppose that's fair if it wrecked the balance of the game.
    And the garfunkel it just made me lol when I first noticed its name.

Just finished episode one again. Have to say I love playing through the first episode because of the length of it. I haven't played episode two as much as the first episode because I can finish episode one in one sitting (around an hour) where as episode two (while still brilliant) takes longer to play because of the amount of missions to do and places to see. I haven't played through episode three yet (because of the crashing) but from what you've said it's a big one.
    Just thought I'd voice my opinions. Personally on my iPod anyway. Shorter episodes but more of them is better.
    Well overall either way you do it is fine by me, just so long as you keep making brilliant episodes and *cough *cough bring it to a console like the 360 :)

3. MightyRabbitJosh

MightyRabbitJosh Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2011
    Programmer and Designer at Mighty Rabbit Studios
    Holly Springs, NC
    Quick update - I've got Episode 3 running in a mostly stable form on iPod 4. I haven't played through the entire episode to make sure, but it seems good.

I had to reduce the visual quality on some things, but it shouldn't be terribly noticeable. When the iPod 4 goes the way of the iPod 2 (my guess for that would be early-2014), we'll see about releasing a complete package with overhauled and entirely uncompressed artwork.

Once I've fixed a few issues I caused and verified that the game works on iPad 1, I'll submit the crash fix to Apple. In the meantime, if you've been able to play Episode 3 please rate our update five stars to counteract all the one-star crash ratings. I really wish there was a way to communicate with buyers to tell them we're working on a fix.

4. Darth Ronfar

Darth Ronfar Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Animal related
    LA
    Playing on I touch 4 with IOS 4.3 was working fine in ep 3 till I tied to go to the dam.. I was in the middle of the subquest with the two fuzzy creatures(blue and pink) had to get them into the pizza place or something. Accidentally entered the dam... Can't reload it from there

5. MightyRabbitJosh

Nov 16, 2011
    Holly Springs, NC
    Yeah, that's what I fixed today. I didn't realize that the iPod 4 is technically weaker than the iPod 3. They both have 256MB RAM, but the 4 has to push out twice the pixels. Ends up doubling the memory needed for rendering. This is something I did not expect at all in testing but now I know. Still haven't confirmed a fix on iPad 1 but the iPod 4 is all good. I should be able to have an update out next week!

6. Darth Ronfar

Nov 20, 2011
    Animal related
    LA
    #486 Darth Ronfar, Nov 14, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
    Ok, thanks... I went ahead and bought the deluxe pack. Does that give me free access to all future episodes?

Anyways I was really liking ep 3 riding around on the board and such...

Just wondering about the plot of the game. Is it to be assumed that the Guy at the beggining(can't remember his name)* ok I just checked and it's commander hood.) is the antagonist and the transformers quest is just more of a side thing?

I think this game is geared towards a generation right above mine cuz I was born in 85 and am not really that familiar with alot of the stuff. When I was young TMNT and then I guess Power Rangers was the main stuff. As for saturday mornings there was a good group of shows I would watch I think Garfield and the other cartoon with the pig names Orson I think. Other shows I remember were animanics and tiny toons and I guess thr Mario cartoons and such. I guess most of this is more early 90s although I can still enjoy this game. My brother would probly know alot more about all this being 5 years older than me.

That's it sorry for rambling..

7. Professionalbum

Professionalbum Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2009
    Professional bum
    The Prison Planet
    Which deluxe pack do I need to purchase? I assume the 4.99 one(they all are deluxe packs).

8. oooooomonkey

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    And knowing a half the problem :D

9. MightyRabbitJosh

Nov 16, 2011
    Holly Springs, NC
    It will automatically ask you to purchase the cheapest option if you're doing the deluxe upgrade from the free version. If you already bought Episode 2 and are being presented with a $4.99 deluxe upgrade, make sure to restore your Episode 2 purchase before buying the deluxe upgrade.

10. MightyRabbitJosh

Nov 16, 2011
    Holly Springs, NC
    Yep, you'll have access to all future episodes and arena battles.

As for the main antagonist, yes, it's Commander Hood. Most of the story lines will tie back to him in some way shape or form.

As for the 90's stuff, we're hoping to do an episode where Marty time travels to the 90's. We're also already planning to cover TMNT homages in an upcoming episode. That was supposed to be in Episode 4 - but it will probably end up in Episode 5 now. We're doing something special for the 4th episode.

11. oooooomonkey

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Any references to M.A.S.K. , Gi-joe the movie or Visionaries will be welcome :D
    That last one "visionaries" not to many people seem to have seen it?! I used to have the figures and everything :) if your one of the people who haven't seen it ( whoever is reading this) then it's really worth watching. You can get all 13 episodes in a 2 DVD box for pretty cheap online.

12. MightyRabbitJosh

Nov 16, 2011
    Holly Springs, NC
    I've definitely heard of Visionaries and had plans to reference it in some capacity. I really loved all the Sunbow cartoons so I made it a point to get those in ASAP. If we never get to reference Visionaries, I apologize - we had really grand plans for SMRPG but sales just don't support them. We're still on target for 5 - 6 episodes, though. I'll do my best to fit as many references as I can in those.

13. Darth Ronfar

Nov 20, 2011
    Animal related
    LA
    Thanks, when is the iPod 4 update coming?

14. MightyRabbitJosh

Nov 16, 2011
    Holly Springs, NC
    I'm planning to have it submitted tomorrow afternoon - after that it could be 4 - 8 days before going live.

15. oooooomonkey

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Cool. And you can ignore my previous comments about the length Of the episodes as yesterday I played through episode 1 & 2 and with the new hover board I flew through episode 2 in about the same time as I did episode one :D must have been the walking everywhere that took up more time :eek:
    I also beat the giant hood guy in the arena but the sunscreen guy kicked my ass.

I only just looked at the achievements but there's some for completing unique episodes, like 5 & 10 does this mean there not possible until you release more episodes.
    And unless people suddenly wake up and find this game then We're probably not going to see 10 episodes :(

16. MightyRabbitJosh

Nov 16, 2011
    Holly Springs, NC
    We're going to readjust the episode completion achievements when we put out the final episode. Don't worry, they'll automatically unlock when you boot up whatever update that happens in.

Episode 3 has a ton of new achievements that you can earn by completing quests in different ways. You can also get an achievement for calling a certain number on the cell phone object.

17. CamZer0

CamZer0 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    I've hit a few big bugs in episode 3. First one I noticed was after hitting a valve in the "poops" quest. Saved my game after, and when reloaded the quest was still active, but both valves were unuseable. Then carried on a bit more into the game and saved. Once reloaded I was in an earlier area of the game, so made my way back through the levels and the game has glitched inside the dam. My character sprite is huge compared to the environment and I float around hitting invisible walls. Game broken for me. I've included a few screen shots to better illustrate what's happened.

Attached Files:

18. MightyRabbitJosh

Nov 16, 2011
    Holly Springs, NC
    Thanks, Cam. Just fixed the most major bug you found - I don't know why it saved you're location at the top of the dam, but I've fixed the glitch inside the dam. That will be in the next update (which should be out next week). If you can manage to make your way back into the Visitor's Center, save your game there and wait for the update to pick up your progress.

Sorry about that! Thanks for the bug report.

19. CamZer0

CamZer0 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    Thanks for the fast reply Josh. I managed to get back to the visitor center and save there. Could I just restart the entire episode rather than wait for the update?

20. MightyRabbitJosh

Nov 16, 2011
    Holly Springs, NC
    Absolutely if you don't mind having to do that. Just be weary about saving immediately after cut-scenes as that's where our locational saves can get a bit weird. Thanks again for the bug report!