Universal Saturday Morning RPG - (by Joystick Labs, LLC)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Apr 4, 2012.

1. MightyRabbitJosh

MightyRabbitJosh Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2011
    Programmer and Designer at Mighty Rabbit Studios
    Holly Springs, NC
    Just saw the StP review, shame the text is so positive when the score looks awful. Not too much of an issue since they give popular RPGs like Inotia the same rating. This is definitely going to be a love it or hate it kind of game!

Really happy with the support in the thread, I definitely won't be doing any sweeping changes but will allow toggles to adjust difficulty and disable mini-games.

2. studepaber007

studepaber007 Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2011
    Ohio
    Played for about an hour this morning, love everything about this game including the controls. One thing though, I switched from the main story quest to the cave quest and found the cave entrance but can't seem to enter it. Does this become available after you complete the main quest? :confused: Will definitely buy more episodes of this :)

3. MightyRabbitJosh

Nov 16, 2011
    Holly Springs, NC
  4. justln

justln Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2011
    Singapore
    Stones above cave.

5. MightyRabbitJosh

Nov 16, 2011
    Holly Springs, NC
    To open the cave, disobey the sign and touch the rocks. After that, figure out the correct sequence to tap the rocks in. Each rock plays a saxophone note and the final sequence that unlocks the cave winds up being a popular saxophone riff from the 80s.

6. Djay187

Djay187 Active Member

Jan 29, 2012
    Hey MightyRabbitJosh just wanna add my appreciation to everyone else, you and the team have made a great game.
    I think like most other people saying I wouldn't change to much to the game, maybe as awp69 repeating the hit/critical hit bar might be an idea, it does seem to fly by but it could be me not being quick enough.
    So many things have made me smile, one attack in particular(MJ), without trying to spoil anything for anyone.
    Well done!

7. studepaber007

studepaber007 Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2011
    Ohio
    Thanks and congrats on the positive review from Pocket Gamer.

8. TimEggers

TimEggers Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2011
    Shipping
    Tiskilwa, IL
    First: HOLY S*#T!!!! This game ROCKS!!!

Second: Trapper Keeper as my menu? Epic win!

Third: Incredible attention to detail, amazing 80's nostalgia. Love the whole package. The IAP price model is perfect, I hope it leads to great success.

I do like the battle system, it makes the battles interactive. But, with a game so thoroughly thought out, I never saw a tutorial on the timed attacks and defenses. It took me a few battles to figure out how to best attack and such (maybe I missed it?) otherwise make it more prominent.

Overall an amaing download. Love the game so far!

9. LKR

LKR Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Earth
    Love. This. Game.
    This really gets so many things absolutely right on so many levels. Definitely a must try, and then a must buy. :)

10. jaolen

jaolen Member

Dec 11, 2010
    #130 jaolen, Apr 5, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2012
    Very cool! I like the first two episodes. Hopefully the rest of the episodes come out regularly, and are (for the most part) independent, considering the end of episode 2!

Also, any chance we'll get iCloud game saves, or something similar?

11. Benny M.

Benny M. Active Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Intern/student
    Raleigh, NC

...I hope you don't mind, but your response made me (marketing/PR) and Chris Cooper (Environment Artist) crack up so hard, we posted this on our Mighty Rabbit Studios Facebook page!

12. MightyRabbitJosh

Nov 16, 2011
    Holly Springs, NC
    Even with
    Marty's alliance with Private Johnson
    all the stories will standalone perfectly. There will be some very loose continuity - in the same vein as something like Spike and Carly's relationship on G1 Transformers.

We're definitely planning to try and add iCloud support in a future update. Our initial intention was to support 2nd generation devices - we stuck to that until three weeks ago when we realized it wasn't feasible. 2nd gen devices couldn't use iCloud, so we never touched it. When the time came to scratch 2nd gen support, we didn't have time to get it in - but we definitely want to see if we can add it in the future.

13. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Well I must be one of only a few, but I think the tapping works well, it adds a bit of tension and "oooooo will I power up enough" feeling which for me adds to the excitement of the battles.
    Personally I wouldn't change a thing and I'll be Buying each and every episode when they are released.

Please just keep the 80's/90's nostalgia coming. :)

14. jaolen

jaolen Member

Dec 11, 2010
    Very awesome. And I hope you at least have one cliffhanger / "to be continued..." episode at the very least though. ;)

15. chickdigger802

chickdigger802 Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Atlanta GA
    I'm fine with controls for the most part outside of the charge up thing which you pretty much do every other turn.

horrible... HORRIBLE.

Give me an option for some alternative input for that and I'll be cool.

16. TimEggers

TimEggers Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2011
    Shipping
    Tiskilwa, IL
    Just finished the first episode in one sitting, found all the quests and enimies. Awesome time! Average score of "A" as well.

Overall a great, great RPG.

LOVE the interactive battles (although a little less tapping for the TAP! attacks would be ok), but a minor observation. :)

Otherwise a stellar experience!

17. Robotwars

Robotwars Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2011
    This would be a ridiculous MMO if expanded into complete 80s cheese.

"hey bro where'd you get those sweet +7 time travel rims for your delorean"
    "they drop off of ALF in camp candy"

18. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    #138 squarezero, Apr 5, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2012
    Funny -- I'm constantly looking at my power gauge and thinking "Can I charge this turn? Can I?" For some reason it reminds me of this air-powered rocket I had as a kid -- it gels very well with the whole 80's experience.

And yes, I've been playing in public without getting any funny stares ;).

19. eev

eev Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Germany
    you can disagree if you want but still fast tapping looks strange in tb game, also chrono trigger is an action rpg and reaction you need there has almost nothing to do with tapping in this game. but i see that people like to tap a lot. so it's ok especially because the game is free.

20. Sotoro

Sotoro Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2010
    Need new episodes :p