Universal Savant - Ascent (by D-Pad Studio)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Exact-Psience, Nov 10, 2013.

1. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Well, on Sanuku video (eternally grateful buddy) they refer to screen when teaching the controls, so that's nice. Seems like they took the images from the PC Build (if the dev is reading: change that, looks bad) and added them to iTunes. And the gameplay seems great. PC version has a time attack mode and endless too, hope they are here and it seems to run on my iPhone (5, iOS7). Tempted now.

2. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    So to recap.

This game crashes like crazy on iPad

Crashing on iPhone 4S

Plays perfectly on iPhone 5 iOS 7.3

I'm confused.

3. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

#24 Sanuku, Nov 10, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2013
    - Crashes on many iDevice that are using an iOS Version below 7.0.1
    - Crashes on iPhone 4/iPad 2 with iOS 7.0.1/7.0.2.
    - Still does use the wrong Screenshots on the iTunes Store. As far as we know you can`t change those after you have upload them once (Please correct me if Apple has changed that Rule on the iTunes Store)
    - Is missing Modes from the PC Build.
    - Still has an Quit Button - Probably left from the Android Button. The Button does nothing at all.
    - Is missing an Return Button from the Menu after you get your Highscore to return back to the Main Menu to be able to switch to a different Control.
    - Isn`t zooming out like in the PC Build when you are shooting at something but instead is following where you are pointing at which often leads to a Moment where you can`t see anything at all as in the iPad Air Gameplay Trailer shown.
    - The Tilt Mode goes now and then completely Bezerk where you are constantly rolling from left to right till you don`t touch the screen at all.

You don`t need to be grateful, it would help if you would remove the PC Gameplay Trailer from the first Page since that Footage doesn't represent the Mobile Build at any point at all and might lead others to buy the Mobile Build and then return to the Forum and ask everyone why they are playing a bugged Game ;)

4. ImJPaul

ImJPaul Well-Known Member

May 23, 2012
    Male
    MGMT!
    Baltimore
    We must be the lucky ones. Seems if you have an iPhone 5 running iOS 7.1 then you're good. Seems everything else is a bust.

5. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    If you have an Android, get it on there. No crashes. Plays pretty well, although it gets pretty difficult and kind of wish there were checkpoints.

Of course, the PC version plays the best.

Otherwise, sounds like it might be best to wait. I can't imagine the devs intentionally meant to release this in this condition.

6. toxiccheese

toxiccheese Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    Did the dev even bother changing the text for this port?

7. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Yep. Works fine on mine.

8. TheFrost

Nov 18, 2010
    @Sanuku

Done.

9. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

Add an iPhone 4 with 7.0.2 to the Crashing List:

I will later on upgrade it to 7.0.3 to see if it will crash with the newest Firmware too.

10. ScotDamn

Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    I have a device that would work, but that zooming in on sanuku video is throwing me off. It looks like you lose sight of your character and oncoming attacks.

I'm gonna have to wait this one out.

11. Lost_Deputy

Lost_Deputy Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    I guess all the evidence suggests we are looking at a unfinished build. As soon as I see an update I will post in here. Hopefully it's not far off :)

12. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Don't hold your breath. I love the game and have been playing it on PC and Android for months now, but even the Android version isn't up to date with the PC one and even though I absolutely, absolutely, absolutely think this game is one of the coolest games EVER, it's clear D-Pad Studio have got all their attention on Owlboy.

13. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    No issues on my iPad 4 128 GB running 7.0.3.
    Just odd controls, takes a little getting used to, but otherwise ok.

14. ScotDamn

Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    That isn't encouraging. So the version on App Store may be the final product? That would really suck, I've looking forward to this for some time now. No capable PC. :(

15. TheFrost

Nov 18, 2010
    Agree, game looks slick but if even the android version haven't been updated in quite a while means that this one will probably follow the same treatment as well.

16. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Sadly, at least the Android version works. I still hope this was an accidental release. If it's not, that's a complete embarrassment for the Dev. And no matter what project he's working on now, he's going to lose any faith iOS users have in him if this isn't fixed.

17. ScotDamn

Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    #38 ScotDamn, Nov 10, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2013
    So I watched a video on YouTube that is basically an interview with the developers. They say the next update should fix all these issues with older devices not working. Theres a bunch more good stuff so check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVxii_u3r4U

Also it sounds like it was made in GameMaker...

18. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    That's all fine and dandy but it should never have been released until those issues were fixed. It's basically completely broken for the vast majority of iOS devices it seems.

19. ScotDamn

Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    Yeah, after hearing the programmer uses Game Maker, and that he hopes the issue will be fixed, I have a total lack in their ability.