Universal Savant - Ascent (by D-Pad Studio)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Exact-Psience, Nov 10, 2013.

1. ItouchBrett

ItouchBrett Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    7.0.3 iPhone 5s. Works fine. Fun ass game. Uhh, where is the menu?

2. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Not sure about this version but on Android, once you start playing there is no menu, just a restart screen.

3. SumoSplash

SumoSplash Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    Hmmmm. Was looking forward to this, but sounds like we're having issues here...

4. ironsam80

ironsam80 Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    It works fine on my iPad3 (latest ios) but the controls kills a little bit the game. I have two issues... The first one is the shooting method. I know that it's the easiest way to imitate the mouse action on the PC by dragging your finger around the screen to shoot on the ios version but the problem is that you cover the screen with your hand and sometimes when the action gets hot you lose some enemies and they kill you. The second is that except the tilt to dodge (witch is difficult with an iPad and specially with this game witch you must have the other hand free to shoot) the other two options (drag and tap) have the problem that you must put off your finger from shooting to dodge and bring it back again to shooting, witch also make it hard when you have a lot of enemies around you. Maybe it's difficult to understand what i am saying if you have not try this on a mobile device but for me till now these are almost breaking points to fun with this version of the game. The best solution maybe is to put a single button somewhere for the dodge action and the rest as it is. On the positive side the artworks and the action is top notch as on the pc version.

5. It's too bad, the videos look so cool, yet all the feedback here doesn't sound so good. Really a shame, cause the videos look really fun.

Does this have ios 7 joystick support?

6. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    These are somewhat close to what I feel about the game. There's a fantastic game at the heart here. And it's still fun and hectic, but controls make it more challenging than it should be (and the PC version isn't exactly easy already).

That said, I think this may be easier to play on a phone. I'm also playing on a tablet and the bigger screen area for shooting combined with tilt (to me the best dodging control) makes it pretty rough on a tablet.

I'd love to hear impressions from those who have it working on an iPhone. Still have a feeling the PC version is going to win hands down.

7. ironsam80

ironsam80 Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    I m not sure about the joystick support but i don't think so...

8. Lost_Deputy

Lost_Deputy Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney

Im on a phone and its tough. Really tricky seeing enemies and the tilt to move seems unresponsive. I was using the borders to move but it interferes with the shooting.
    At the moment it feels so close yet so far.

9. Erpiotta5

Erpiotta5 Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2012
    On iPhone 4S crash but on my iphad (4) is sooooo cool, just solve crash and good

10. AnarKitty

AnarKitty Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2010
    Minneapolis, USA
    Was going to pick this up on Android, but there's no trace of it to be found in the Play store. Very strange.

11. Based Xatu

Based Xatu Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2013
    *which!! Which!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    I think thats because it is/was on the humble store, but I can't find it.. On their website it says coming soon to Google Play and iOS.

http://savantgame.com/

13. Mike1up

Mike1up New Member

May 11, 2012
    I have this game on my android phone. It plays alright. It has some bugs in it but is still enjoyable to play. The modes are there, but you have to complete the game in order to unlock them. With the controls, tilt works the best but can be unresponsive at times. In looking at Sanuku's video, those cd pieces are important because you gain special abilities that gives you an advantage when playing. When they appear, touch them to pick them up. While shooting at the enemies, another tap on the screen fires a big blast that's very useful.

Is a good game, but needs improvements hope this helps. In time attack mode I can finish the game in about 4 minutes :)

14. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    When you buy the PC version, you get pretty much all the other versions of the game (minus iOS). You just download the Android version from your device through the same link you would the PC version. ;)

15. Kamizak3

Kamizak3 Well-Known Member

May 13, 2011
    School, beta testing apps, learning programming
    California
    The game works great, the only concern I have with the game is the controls to dodge feels awkward, i think maybe a joystick to shoot and 2 arrow to dodge could help with the dodge controls.

16. nao

nao Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2010
    Great potential with kickass soundtrack, just wish it had virtual controls instead. All the current controls make me want to throw my phone.

17. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I think there was an error in the upload when they put this game up on the appstore. The appstore description says this is version 1.0.62, but in the title screen of the game, before it crashes, it says 1.0.0.59 on the upper left of the screen.

18. Adsinjapan

Adsinjapan Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2013
    #58 Adsinjapan, Nov 11, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
    Can anyone tell me where the hell the pause button is??

To be honest, this feels unfinished and it doesn't really feel like it's delivering. For a game with minimal controls, they're still bloody fiddly!
    So you aim and shoot with your finger. Check. Then you dodge either by tilting, swiping or taping the border of the screen?
    With the aiming already being taken care of by the one finger (and the view shifting around like crazy) it's hard to see when you should be dodging. If the game could detect taps from other digits, it wouldn't be so much of a problem, but with any of the additional control types, you still have to stop what you're doing to move out of the way and that costs you precious seconds.
    Should you want to change the control scheme, then as far as I can tell, you're going to have to reboot the game to get to the opening screen where the options are, because they're nowhere else to be found.

With only four tracks, Savants presence seems to be limited in the game for which uses his name and character likeness.

It feels like this needs a lot more time being worked on before it should be released to the discerning iOS public.

19. Jo-Remi

Jo-Remi Member

Nov 11, 2013
    Buggy build

You're right, it was an accidental release as we intended the game to be released on a later date, but it got released as soon as it was through the review process without me knowing. For anyone who want to help me test the build, here is a couple of promo codes :) Also, I'm sorry to anyone who got the titlescreen crash, I'll fix it ASAP.

HMMKFTXRMFAL
    NNAFN677N9FP
    R3L3NTPJTEHA
    HA63R4N7HJN9
    NMJ4NNHF3PWX
    RRXPKWT73LXJ
    RMW9JLWK6LLK

20. mekanikal fiend

mekanikal fiend Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2010
    i picked it up yesterday, and played one game. no crash, really fun, want to play on my pc. looked on steam, but cannot find it by searching. whats the deal?