Universal Savant - Ascent (by D-Pad Studio)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Exact-Psience, Nov 10, 2013.

1. I think with a little bit of updating the controls and a couple of other things, we can get this game to shine. The core gameplay is really good, so I am hopeful of a good outcome.

2. Based Xatu

Based Xatu Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2013
    I can't wait for an official release. This game looks very promising.

3. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    An update for an added back button? o_O

The game still doesnt run on my ipad mini or iphone 4s.

4. Yeah, I hope two other controls, a slider on the left, and maybe a dual stick mode can be added to this game, it would rock.

5. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Not sure what happened but there's an update that says it came out on December 1, but just showed up for me now.

In any case, there's now a button for dodging and a stick for shooting and it's soooooo much better. Haven't had any crashes and really looking forward to digging into this one. It's now easily better than the Android version as well (which I hope they do update with the same controls).

Although I haven't played enough to find any bugs yet, great job on improving this dev!

6. So it's back out now? Coolness!

7. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    #87 awp69, Dec 4, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
    EDIT: Deleted post because I'm an idiot. There's a separate button to pull in record pieces (which isn't explained).

Anyway, game is fantastic now!

8. ironsam80

ironsam80 Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    The game with the new controls just... Rocks!! Just finish the story (didn't take too much) but unlock two modes (time attack and endless) so this gonna stay for some time on my device. Wish there was some more elements (like customization for the character) but like it is now is a nice little game with a lot of action on it, nice character animation and very good music!

9. So let me get this right - this is an unofficial version of the game?

10. Based Xatu

Aug 27, 2013
    It's official, it was just rushed.

11. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    This is the official version. It was released with some issues but is now much better apparently. I'm downloading now.

12. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    #92 ScotDamn, Dec 4, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
    Game Impressions

No auto screen orientation which sucks. 10 minutes in it's pretty fun though. I think the controls are pretty great, quite acceptable. I don't like the screen zooming in on your target and away from your character, leaving you vulnerable to other enemy attacks. They combat this with red arrows where enemies are. So far so good.

Edit:
    After a considerable more amount of time playing and I'm loving this game. I never played the previous version however this is a tight, clean, and addictive arcade experience. Seriously recommend it for anyone looking for a frantic, fun, addictive, arcade game.

13. ImJPaul

ImJPaul Well-Known Member

May 23, 2012
    Male
    MGMT!
    Baltimore
    I didn't have a problem with the previous controls. I had been rocking them for quite some time with no problems. They really cleaned them up though and made them even better. This official version ROCKS!!!

14. ojtitus

ojtitus Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    Glad to see this finally officially launch.

15. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Finally... Now works on my ipad mini 6.x and iphone 4S 7.x.

And it is fantastic. Twas well worth the wait.

16. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Wow!!! Major, major respect to D-Pad Studio for this. Earlier in the thread I said they had a fantastic game, but didn't seem to care about the touchscreen versions of it (having owned the PC & Android version since release), but this...this is just incredible. I don't know what compelled me to delete the Humble Bundle version and buy the game on the Play Store (even though they said it would get updated all the same), but I'm so glad I could throw another couple of dollars their way. This went from an alright port of a magnificent mouse-controlled PC game to the definitive way of playing Savant - Ascent. The new controls are PERFECT and I simply cannot imagine playing the game any other way now! Bravo D-Pad Studio...Bravo. :)

17. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Agreed on all points. I like the PC version but like this even more now.

I didn't realize this came out on Google Play. I thought he didn't even plan on doing an Android version until HB asked him.

Regardless, this seems to now be the definitive version.

18. Based Xatu

Aug 27, 2013
    I've only been playing like five minutes, and I'm in love. It's fast paced, hectic, and sharp. The visuals remind me of old SNK games, with an HD touch and it makes everything pop. Seriously, this game is worth so much more than $1.99.

19. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    #99 awp69, Dec 5, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
    Just a heads up for metalcasket and others that may have the Android Humble Bundle version, it too has been updated with the new controls and also plays wonderfully!

20. What is the humble bundle version?