Universal Savant - Ascent (by D-Pad Studio)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Exact-Psience, Nov 10, 2013.

1. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    So glad this was 'officially' released. I was able to snag this one when it was accidentally released. Was also able to help with the beta testing, but that was kind of cut short when I was... forced to update to iOS 7. I've just spent the last 20 minutes re-unlocking everything and giving the game a quick run through, and this is fantastic. I knew the new controls were great in the beta, but they've definitely been tweaked to perfection here.

The only thing I would love to see is GameCenter support. Outside of that, this is a great title with a pretty hardcore Endless Mode that will keep me busy for a long time.

2. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    #102 awp69, Dec 5, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
    There's a site that runs PC/Steam/Mac and sometimes Android games in bundles for charity. You usually get great deals on games and support charity at the same time.

There was an Android bundle that included this game and it was better than the original iOS release, but still not as good as it is now with these controls.

You have an Android now, right? Keep an eye out for mobile bundles through the humblebundle.com website. I built a lot of my Android library through them. Wish they could do iOS bundles.

3. Yeah, thanks for the info. Wish ios had more bundles since I will still buy more ios games cause I got an ipad 4, but heck the note 3 works wonders with a moga joystick too, love the big screen and sd card is sweet, no more disk space issues.

4. SumoSplash

SumoSplash Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    No screen rotation?

5. Based Xatu

Based Xatu Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2013
    The only problem I have run into with the game is the inability to pause, and after you die you can't return to the menu or change the options. Also if you pick swipe to dodge , and also pick the touch controls for shooting, you can't' multitask. I don't know if this is intentional or not, but it kind of bothers me.

6. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Well, the game instantly got its way to my never-to-be-deleted Combat-Arcade folder together with 5-star (my ratings of course) garnering gems like Slayin, Knightmare Tower and Heroes of Loot. Of course it just got its 5-star rating as well.

Now i wish devs would make more sci-fi versions of these. I mean Savant is basically sci-fi, and i need more of these.

7. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Been playing nothing but Savant today, and i've been wondering if the devs can consider swapping the aim stick from the left with the buttons to the right?

My left thumb has a terrible muscle memory for buttons when im using my right thumb on a vstick. Probably the reason why i dont like static vsticks on dual stick shooters.

8. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    It's funny you say that. I usually die because I fail to hit the dodge button with my left thumb. However I have been fine with my right thumb aiming. I think it would be great if they added and option to swap the sides.

As for my experience. I've been playing nothing but this game since download and it's amazing. Such a great arcade shooter. Even ith the really short "Story Mode" - the endless and time modes more than make the replay value sky high. Good job devs!

9. Awesome update, the game plays really well now. The new controls are cool. Thxs.

10. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Yep... exactly same as my experience. My aiming is great with the right thumb, but i do fail my dodges, and even sometimes fumble through the buttons with my left thumb.

I guess my left thumb isnt used to pressing face buttons at all, and isnt cooperating at adjusting at one.

11. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    2nded, synth.

12. SumoSplash

SumoSplash Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    I'm pretty sure it's due for the next update, but don't quote me.

Hopefully screen flip can be added to that itinerary too.

13. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    All I know is that this game better be eligible for GoTW since it was an accidental release previously.

I'm enjoying other games this week -- Clash of Puppets in particular -- but this is keeping me from playing almost anything else. And, in all likelihood, will be in my GoTY noms as well. Insanely addictive.

14. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    ^I've been trying to put up a list of my top 10 games of 2013, and this push a few of my top 10 down. ;)

15. Nobunaga

Nobunaga Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2012
    The ability to flip the controls would be great. As would a pause and menu button. It'd be easier than exiting the app. A slightly zoomed out view as an option would be good too. I'll have to load it up on the iPad and see how it is on that.
    I was also wondering what the difference between Vario and normal mode was? Hard mode maybe?
    That said, great game. Kind of Ziggurat meets Knightmare Tower with some Castlevania style art direction. I'd suggest it to anyone who has any interest. Very well done port.

16. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Is Savant a port? Or did you mean just a portable version, instead of being imported from a previous release?

17. Nobunaga

Jun 2, 2012
    I thought it had been released on steam earlier. Was it a simultaneous release though?

18. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    It's unlocked once you beat the game (along with endless and timed modes), and changes your shot. A different strategy is needed for playing with it... And can be kind of difficult at first. It's enabled by tapping the face in the lower right corner of the main menu.

Attached Files:

19. Nobunaga

Jun 2, 2012
    Thanks SV. I beat the game and thought I had clicked on it. Judging by your screenshot, I didn't. I'll give it another go.

20. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    #120 Exact-Psience, Dec 6, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
    EDIT: Deleted misleading post.

Checked Dpad Studios facebook page, and found out Savant Ascent was planned to be released in every platform for July 30th.

So in my own understanding, whatever the reason for the delays in the appstore, steam and google store releases, does not make it a port. Thoughts?

Reason im asking is that im making my personal best of 2013 list, and i dont want to include ports in it. Looks like Savant Ascent is going to make it to the list. ;)