Scariest iPhone Games?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by barl, Jul 4, 2010.

1. MasterChief3624

MasterChief3624 Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    I think three people mentioned it, actually.

2. RandomSomebody

RandomSomebody Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2009
    My bad I didn't read the end of the op. A quality port of fatal frame 3 would be heaven (tho it's never going to happen).

3. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    Fatal Frame is awesome. If they're ever going to port it to iPhone I hope it's not 3D Pac-manish like Silent Hill.

4. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    Yeah, I totally agree with your post. Psychological horror is much scarier than literal horror. I especially hate CGI horror where the ghost / monster appears so often.. wtf is that? CGI showreel?

And I love those movies you listed there!!

5. JCat

JCat Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    CEO E-Commerce
    NY
    Soul is pretty jumpy - Silent Hill, Resident Evil and NY Zombies can be creepy, but more because you're afraid to turn around and have a zombie (or nurse lol) behind you. Cheap thrills, but fun.

While on the subject - iphone (not touch or pad) users should check out Zghost (the free one). It's not a game, but it's good for a quick jump and to freak out a friend or two. Uses augmented reality so your device has to have a camera. Don't want to spoil it - just give it a whirl and search for the ghost girl on radar.

6. Chronical

Chronical Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    St. Gallen, Switzerland
    Soul. I deleted it after 10 minutes because I wasn't able to stand the scaryness.

7. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    Is it just me or does anyone find "Spider: Secret of Bryce Manor" kinda creepy? It's not exactly scary, but I've had some weird dreams/nightmares after playing it.

8. spidey

spidey Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2010
    India
    Ok, as far as the heart-pounding, sweat-inducing, white-knuckle portions are concerned... i would have to say it's tilt-to-live for me. I know it's not scary or anything. But I just find the game so intense! My knuckles actually get locked in a claw from clutching the iPod touch so tight!

9. barl

barl Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Artist, Filmmaker
    Cardiff, UK
    I am also highly anticipating Forgotten Memories. I emailed one of the developers for any news on the game, and they replied quickly. There is a link to what they had to say on the Forgotten Memories thread.

10. dyscode

dyscode Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Living
    World
    Data Hunter can be pretty scary, too. Not even near to games like Dead Space but still.
    Being alone, in a space suite, in the dark with monsters coming out of the walls.

Besides that Silent Hill and Soul, yes.
    Forgotten Memories will be awesome!

@don_k
    @MasterChief

Sixth Sence went totally beyond me. Within the first 15 min I knew
    what was going on and was bored to death for the rest of the movie.

Among the most scariest movies I ever saw was The Haunting
    (the Original from 1963, Director Robert Wise). I could not sleep for days.

And also some J Horror, of course.
    Though I found the Verbinski Version of the Ring much better than Ringu.
    And anyone Remember Tetsuo Iron Man?

11. JustAGamer

JustAGamer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2010
    I just watched a Youtube vid of zGhost. It's pretty cool and scary lol.

JCat, what's the difference between the free and paid version? I read thru both, the features looked the same to me. Did I miss something? :confused:

12. MasterChief3624

Oct 11, 2009
    To each his own. I would hope that even if you figured out where it was going that you would still be able to appreciate the atmosphere. But I threw it in there as an unsure suggestion. I'm half-and-half on it :p

The Haunting was great, too. Speaking of old movies, Vincent Price's films, especially House of Wax, were relatively creepy. Back in the younger part of his career he was great. But a lot like Alfred Hitchcock, I feel he tapered off in quality as he went further into his film career. That's a different study for a different day, though :eek:

For the longest time, I've preferred Gore Verbinski's The Ring to Hideo Nakata's Ringu. Ringu was so boring in comparison. But a few months ago, I sat down and gave Ringu another chance, and I have to say I came out of it preferring it much more than The Ring. I'm not sure what changed, but I think back when I saw it before, I was skipping around and getting to "the good parts", skipping the "boring parts". Keep in mind this was when I was 13, so I didn't care nearly as much about film as I do now.

But before I veer off into an endless banter, I now prefer Ringu. When I watched it that second time, and actually watched it all the way through, I think I was much more terrified by it than I ever thought possible. The lighthouse in The Ring was a creepier centerpiece, but I felt that everything else in Ringu was much more creepy. And I also feel that, although it didn't bother me at all before, the CG ruins The Ring in some parts. The organic special effects definitely gave Ringu a huge advantage. I can't quite explain how, but something about them not using computer effects much at all gave the film a much more relatable quality.

And finally, I prefer the ambiguous and menacing ending of Ringu. In The Ring, they had a cliffhanger, but for the most part it was a more positive ending note, and was wrapped up pretty nicely. But Ringu's ending took some interpretation.

...blah blah blah, I'm going to go on forever, and this is definitely not the place for it :p I love The Ring, but I have a newfound respect for Ringu after giving it a shot now that I'm out of that "adolescent movie taste" phase. That changed in 2005, and I'm so glad it did <3

---

Back on topic here, I read someone bring up Hysteria Project. I was actually really interested in that one... Is it really that cheesy?

13. sammysin

sammysin Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    I think my girlfriend would agree with you there mate. Probably cause she is scared of all kinds of different bugs. :rolleyes:

14. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    @dyscode:

I love Sixth Sense but agree it's not scary, it's more like a great and entertaining movie with ghost theme, but I love it nonetheless.

Ringu, for me, is much better than The Ring. Though if you're a westerner, I could understand how the western version relates to you better.

That said, there's no debate Rosemary's Baby gives me more chill than Silent Hill (the movie) and The Omen (the new one) combined. It brought me serious unease, lol.

But well, I guess it depends on taste as well. I know some of my friends who find Rosemary's Baby boring. They were like 'is that it?' (referring to the few seconds only of monster scene). They much prefer jumping every so often when watching horror films than sitting tensely :p

15. MasterChief3624

Oct 11, 2009
    :(

And this, ladies and gentlemen, is what's wrong with American horror. It's turned the masses into a bunch of lightweight vegetables that expect a physical reaction to scares, rather than an unease that crawls under the skin and makes you scared to get out of your seat.

Bastard Hollywood :mad:

16. sammysin

sammysin Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    @MasterChief... You are damn right about Shutter. I loved both the U.S and Thai version, scared the hell out of me.

17. dyscode

dyscode Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Living
    World
    #37 dyscode, Jul 5, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2010
    @MasterChief
    -Vincent Price: totally! my fav creep me out is "Last Man on Earth"

-Ringu: Yes I really can follow you. But sometimes I am a little bit fed up with the asian way of "big roundabout storytelling / open ending". Focus/tightness is not really the first quality of asian narration, which I appreciate on other times, that they don´t push every explanation right into you face. So maybe I need watched Ringu in the wrong phase. Guess tonight I to watch it again. ;)

Just recently I watched an Korean Horror Movie "The Host". It was a constant oscillation between comedy and gore/ creep moments. But not until after the movie was over, I realized the meaning of the title, what sacred me more downright to the bone than anything in that movie.

ok, BTT
    Hysteria Project: I ve not played it but only read it was too short and more of a Quicktime /Laser Disc Event than an actual game.
    I found this nice gameplay footage, PSP mini version:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RELHVbVbuiA

18. JustAGamer

JustAGamer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2010
    Nobody mention The Exorcist? But that was a very old movie. Even today, that movie still give me the creeps everytime I talk about it.

I was just a little boy when it was first shown in the cinema. I remember amubulances were standing by outside the theatre when the show was first screened, no BS.

19. RonBurgundy

RonBurgundy Well-Known Member

May 2, 2010
    Anchorman
    Channel 4 Newsroom
    #39 RonBurgundy, Jul 5, 2010
    Ah sorry I was late to the party! It seems you are on a search for the same Holy Grail (or in this case the Un-Holy Grail... heh) I can list off all the games that can scare the living poop out of you if you like. :) (If someone hasn't mentioned it already... after all I was the last guy to the party...)

EDIT: Ah what the hell, I will list them... (note that these are not app store games)

One of my tops is: Penumbra Series, on Steam all 3 games is only $10 and the story is linked between all 3 games. This series is one of the few that made me felt like I had spiders crawling all over me... It is a "older" game so it should run nicely with even a low end pc with great graphics. ;)

Most likely will be the top on my list when it comes out is...
    Amnesia: The Dark Descent, it is made by Frictional Games (The same talanted guys that made the Penumbra series) and it looks like it will be a real scare... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M627-obxNzg

I would list Dead Space but it seems people have different reactions (unlike penumbra where ALMOST every one have said it made them shat bricks and one guy said he shat a live squirrel...)

I heard a lot of Clock Tower but I have yet to have the pleasure of having played this game yet...

And of course one that is showing age but "can" make you tense or jump every now and then is Resident Evil (1, 2 and 3... not the "shoot em up" crap that is 4 and 5... nothing ruins a horror aspect like "OMG DOODZ I GOTS A MINIGUN PEW PEW PEW!!!")

And of course last but not least is the Silent Hill series. ;)

20. MasterChief3624

Oct 11, 2009
    #40 MasterChief3624, Jul 5, 2010
    Oooh.... boy.... Let me make one thing absolutely clear: I absolutely loathed the American version. I thought Joshua Jackson was okay, but as for the actual movie, though I appreciated its intentions and its attempt at preserving that Asian horror charm... it failed miserably (to me). That was one great example of how not to remake an Asian horror film. Something went extremely wrong in that translation.

But at least we still agree on the Thai version. My goodness.... I was frozen to my bed when I watched that the first time *shivers*

I love ambiguity and when movies ask for audience interpretation. Spoonfeeding is a real pet peeve of mine (as you might have... could have told? :p)

Ah yes, The Host. I almost forgot about that one. It's been a long time since I've seen it, but that was a fantastic movie in its own right. I didn't quite fall in love with it, but I really liked it. :)

---

Thank you for that gameplay video. I'm not so sure about that game anymore... It looks a lot different from what I thought it was :eek: It does still look like it might be worth a shot, though. It has potential to be rather creepy.