Scariest iPhone Games?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by barl, Jul 4, 2010.

1. sammysin

sammysin Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    Hahah! To be honest pal, I didn't know much of Asian horror until I saw the US version of Shutter. I got home and searched, a year later I had seen/owned over 500 of them. The best in recent memory was The Forbidden Door, but it's not an outright horror film, more like a pyschological, gorey thriller.

2. barl

barl Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Artist, Filmmaker
    Cardiff, UK
    As a filmmaker myself, I get depressed when I see poorly made horror films with nothing but cheap scares, disillusioning their audiences into what they see as being genuinely scary.

I think scary is the wrong word. For something to strike fear into you, and linger under your skin, a film needs to disturb you in original ways.

The most disturbing films I've seen are:

• Eraserhead, Directed by David Lynch - A fantastic, experimental horror shot in grainy black and white, filled with nightmarish surrealism and symbolism.

• Caché (Hidden), Directed by Michael Haneke - A brilliant and intelligent examination of guilt, and how the past will eventually come back to haunt you. The build up of suspense out of seemingly nothing is phenomenal.

• Irréversible, Directed by Gaspar Noé - One of the most controversial and walked-out films ever made; it's harsh depiction of violent revenge is woven in a beautifully shot, reverse-narrative (think Memento) art film.

• Antichrist, Directed by Lars Von Trier - Is there anything worse than the grief experienced when losing a child? The film examines this grief and many other topics such as misogyny and psychological treatments in one of the most shocking albeit beautiful films I've ever seen.

• Elephant, Directed by Gus Van Sant - A disturbing, dream-like film, based on the Columbine school shootings. The film offers no answers to the young killers' motives, but bravely only depicts their actions, which makes the film all the more thought-provoking.

3. MasterChief3624

MasterChief3624 Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    #43 MasterChief3624, Jul 5, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2010
    I have never seen Antichrist because I seriously despise Lars Von Trier, but I have seen all the other ones you listed. I'm surprised you'd pick Michael Haneke's Caché over Funny Games. I wasn't really disturbed by Caché, but Funny Games affected me a lot. I absolutely loved that movie, and especially loved how Michael Haneke knew exactly what notes to hit to make his audience disturbed and pissed off :p

Elephant was great, and I do agree with what you said. Though I actually prefer Zero Day to it.

Completely agreed about Eraserhead and Irreversible, though. Irreversible was actually impossible to watch the first time I tried it. But I managed to get through it on my second try... never will I watch that again, though.

I would also like to throw into the ring Salo: the 120 Days of Sodom, though I personally don't think it deserved the shocks it got. It's a highly debatable film, but I am in the camp that believes it to be nothing more than an extremely exploitational film, with not much merit past that. It's definitely not what I go to and say "Yeah, I appreciate what the director did with that scene". It's pure exploitation, enough said. Though you can pick out themes and metaphors from it, I honestly feel like its intention was to shock, not to stimulate the mind... I strongly dislike it, and still don't understand why it's held in such high regard by so many people.

But back to what you said about something being scary.. I agree that scary is a loose term, but I do also think there's a fine line between mentally disturbing and mentally haunting. Mentally disturbing things are stuff like you listed. But I think when talking about horror movies/games, mentally haunting things are much closer to the genre. Mentally disturbing movies tend to feel less in the horror genre, and much more in the character study and psychological thriller ends of the spectrum.

P.S. Also, as much as I dislike his work (aside from Eastern Promises), David Cronenberg is very prominent in this field of film. Videodrome and Scanners are definitely some great contenders for this topic :p

4. dyscode

dyscode Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Living
    World
    #44 dyscode, Jul 5, 2010
    @all

- Penumbra YES, reminds me totally of Lovecraft, scary as hell.
    - Eraserhead, LYNCH is an all time hero
    - Michael Haneke really evil director, gets you always from where you don´t see it coming (-> Funny Games)
    - Lars von Trier (one of my most fav directors) always scars me with his realistic, documentary style. Watching his movies make me feel hurt in real physical ways. No other director achived that.

- All those 'Classics' - Excorcist, Omen, Rosmaries Baby, never got to me.
    They are nice movies but not scary for me at all. I guess I am not much into
    'Katholic' Horror Movies.
    Though John Carpenters Prince of Darkness is still today among those that give me a bad sleep. Along with Cronenbergs "Videodrome".

And and anyone know jap. movie "Unholy Women" (kowai onna)
    the episode with the woman in the sack, gives me the worst creeps just by thinking about it.

But wasn´t the topic about iPhone Games?
    Or is the topic already evaluated? :rolleyes:

5. MasterChief3624

Oct 11, 2009
    I think I'm to blame for bringing movies into this. But I don't feel bad. Talking about and analyzing movies is what I love to do :cool:

Yes, the topic was about iPhone games. Erm... Attack of the Dust Bunnies. It will horrify you and make you wish you never left that dust bunny unscooped! :eek:

6. barl

barl Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Artist, Filmmaker
    Cardiff, UK
    It is nice to see someone with an interest in good films. So many people seem to like spoon-fed entertainment.

I was going to list Funny Games as well, but as I was limiting myself to one director each on my list, I went for his more superior film, Caché.

I have seen Salo, and while I do agree with you, I do think that it had a positive impact on controversial films, as it helped to encourage a more liberal stance on censorship, which I believe is a good thing.

I think Zero Day is another important film - offering a more accurate account, but Elephant seems to offer an almost transcendent experience for me, mostly due to its stunning, dream-like aesthetic.

Irréversible definitely borders on the unbearable, however, I feel that when a film depicts violence as someting trivial, it can be insulting, whereas Irréversible depicts violence just as it is: repugnant. It's special effects are superlative and only add to the film, unlike a lot of mainstream commercial films.

I understand why you, and others dislike Lars Von Trier. He is, as he is known, the "Enfant Terrible". He enjoys shocking and provoking people, but I do believe that he is one of the finest and boldest filmmakers working today, and his talent is undeniable.

7. barl

barl Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Artist, Filmmaker
    Cardiff, UK
    I might have started the thread asking about scary iphone games, but I do enjoy talking about films a lot :)

8. dyscode

Apr 11, 2010
    Living
    World
    me too,
    obviously...

I totally with you here, barl!!

and very nice summing up by MasterChief.
    Some gore is nice but essentially like spoonfeeding. The "suggestive cinema" as Eisentein introduced (invented) it is much more my taste.
    Though also the "Blair Witch Project" missed me for the biggest part.
    Maybe because I spent really less time in the dark woods. I was never a Camper. So I had no basis to draw, for the 'suggestions' that movie made.

9. sammysin

sammysin Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    I thought Antichrist was epic. I travelled for a good couple of hours to see it on the big screen and wasn't disappointed at all.

10. kiranb28

kiranb28 Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2010
    Session 9 was a good watch...

11. dyscode

Apr 11, 2010
    Living
    World
    #51 dyscode, Jul 5, 2010
    I missed Shutter and Antichrist. The first LvT Movie I missed but I know the store where I can get the uncut DVD.
    I also saw Splice in the cinema. Nice Little monster movie like The Fly (remake: Cronenberg)
    with some really distrubing moments. But the Slasher Ending really didn´t work so much.

BTW.
    For the scary games: if you know the Marathon Series, the RED Total Conversion. It´s manages to build up fear in really perfect way.

The graphics is well 1995 but have aged very well and it´s free.

you need to Aleph One Engine and the Game files:
    http://source.bungie.org/index.php?title=Get_Marathon
    R.E.D.
    http://bighouse.bungie.org/red/downloads.html

12. barl

barl Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Artist, Filmmaker
    Cardiff, UK
    #52 barl, Jul 5, 2010
    Eisenstein was truly one of the most influential filmmakers ever.
    He basically pioneered the montage in filmmaking, and without him there would be no manipulation through suggestion between shots in a narrative :)

13. Duke Floss

Duke Floss Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Writer - Producer - Engineer
    English Roundabout
    might be a little out there for some - but Naked Lunch can be down right terrifying if you understand it.

Best horror game - System Shock 2. Hands down.

14. dyscode

Apr 11, 2010
    Living
    World
    #54 dyscode, Jul 5, 2010
    while the term 'understand' is quite negotiable, the way I understand Naked Lunch, I agree with you.

Damnit I must get my hands on a 'reansonalbe priced' copy of system shock
    The used games market goes haywire over this on. Never had a chance.

I was hoping it will pop up on GOG for some time now and it´s like no.1 on the cummunity wishlist.

So lunch break is over, gotta go back to work,
    C`YA all!

15. RonBurgundy

RonBurgundy Well-Known Member

May 2, 2010
    Anchorman
    Channel 4 Newsroom
    Ya know... I wonder if System Shock 2 is on steam? Hmm I wish horror (true horror...) games were more common... Most the time they try to add a little horror in games by adding in very annoying monsters... (The Flood anyone? Gah I rather slice my eyes with rusty razors while getting a root canal with a M-80 fire cracker and have a pit bull chew my toes off...)

16. MasterChief3624

Oct 11, 2009
    Thank you :) Same to you, as well. You don't expect a handful of people on a videogame forum to have such a huge interest in film :p Needless to say, I'm shocked at how good of a conversation we've all had here :)

I actually preferred Funny Games, but to each his own :p

That's very true about Salo. I've thought from that perspective before, so I do realize its importance. But I still refuse to believe its supposed "depth".

I think the thing I most dislike about Lars von Trier is his portrayal of women. I don't think I've ever seen a movie by him where the women were treated fairly and nicely... That bothers me so much when something like that is a pattern :\

And it wasn't until this post that I realized you were the OP. :p

I personally really liked Blair Witch Project. And while we're on the topic of voyeur horror, I have to bring up Paranormal Activity. I'm not sure what happened in terms of everyone I've talked to, but I sometimes feel like the only person around my friend circle that enjoyed it immensely, and thought it was effectively terrifying in every way possible. Most of my friends said "Boooring. Nothing ever happened". *sigh* I think that was the point. Nothing dangerous ever happens (until the end), but enough little events happen that I did feel very weary about the house. And the suspense was done so well. Blah... Paranormal Activity got a bad rap, and I don't know why exactly. It did some great things that I haven't seen a modern horror movie try in at least a decade. Pulling the "no blood and no action" card was fantastic.

I am drawing a complete blank on that name. Sounds like someone important, though. Care to elaborate on who Eisenstein is? :eek: It's been a couple years since I've heard the name of a director and could honestly say I've never heard of them.. Looks like I need to get researching this guy :)

Slightly offtopic, but I've been getting into Luis Buñuel lately. I mean, I've read about and studied him for the last year or so, but I finally sat down and watched some of his films. I watched L'Age D'Or, Viridiana, and the infamous Un Chien Andalou. He is one crazy filmmaker, and he was very brave for his day. The last act of L'Age D'Or was shocking, to say the least, especially the very last part. It's great to see where surrealist cinema got its start, and you can definitely tell David Lynch and David Cronenberg took some notes from Mr. Buñuel :cool:

17. dyscode

Apr 11, 2010
    Living
    World
    #57 dyscode, Jul 5, 2010
    @Ron
    No, SS2 is not on Steam. :-/

@MasterChief
    L v Trier & Women: yes in the world Lars women get only the hitting, since face it in most cases this is the case.
    Lars always portraits the outsiders, the underdogs, the 'untouchables', the losers. And in these 'social enviroments' women do get still the bad part of exploitation of any kind. If you mean how his female Charakters are treated, not the he actually treated any women bad.

@Sergei Mikhailovich Eisenstein
    Russian director (1898-1948)
    The suggestive cinema is best explained by this 'breakthru' short movie that fooled all critiques and intellectual of his time.
    He took a few second of an expressionless actors face.
    then he took the same seconds of film and cut it after
    the filmed scenarios like this (don´t nail me on the correct order, since it really doesn`t matter)
    - a hot bowl of soup
    - expressionless actors face
    - a bed
    - a baby

after that movie the audience got haywire about one actor could so easily
    switch his emotions from
    - hunger
    to
    - tiredness
    to
    love/happiness

of course they were really suprised when they learned the truth.
    hence the name 'suggestive cinema'. The film just showns you some scenes an
    lets the association work to the viewer.

among his greatest Movies is Battleship Potemkin ( NOT Yamamato ;D ) and October which
    about excell in applying his formal film theory onto a film. This went far beyond the usual 'theatrical cinema' since that just tells a story in theater/voyeur-view and switching stages.
    He also hang out with Charlie Chaplin and Frida Kahlo and this kind.

I guess you may already have googled up all that, but nevertheless, ;)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sergei_Michailowitsch_Eisenstein

Luis Buñuel oh yes, he´s a genius also, I really like the sense of humor, and how he portraits society and what shallow graves it digs for morals (read 'ethics') and virtues. e.g Simon of the Desert.

I know it´s a strech but it´s also a topic often found in John Carpenter Movies on another level, that the crossing line between an orderly live to the evil chaos is thin to non-existant. Like Precinct 13, They Live or Prince of Darkness etc. (just to get back to the original topic)

But Buñuel is Buñuel. Oh it´s SOOOOOO long since I´ve watch his movies.

and I need to dig about Paranormal Activity. Never heard of that movie.
    But Sounds a lot like Gothic from Ken Russel. Lord Byron, Shelly, Mary Wolstoncraft, Dr. Polidori
    have a drug-drenched mindgame night at Lake Geneva.
    It scared the living daylights out of me (not as much as The Haunting, but close).
    Later I watched it with my then Girlfriend, who was REALLY into Victorian RPGs & Horror & stuff and she said "So What?!". So I know what it´s like. But I later repaid her on Blaiwitch Project. :cool:

so far 'my screwed up life from the red plush chair' :rolleyes:

18. barl

barl Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Artist, Filmmaker
    Cardiff, UK
    #58 barl, Jul 5, 2010
    I agree, it's so rare to be able to discuss films on an analytical level :)
    It's been great.

Funny Games is a significant and important film, as it examines audiences expectations and knowledge of film conventions. There is only one seen where the violence is actually seen on camera. It is only because of the audience's imagination and the intelligent use of suggestion do we think that we have witnessed it, when in fact, we have not :)
    I feel that Caché really is one of the best films I've ever had the pleasure of watching.

I agree that Salo does lack depth, however I still regard Pasolini as an important figure in film, because of the aforementioned reason of liberation in censorship.

I agree with your statement of Lars' portrayal of women. While his films could quite easily be considered misogynistic, I do not see them as so. I think that all his films touch on a number of delicate and controversial topics, and while he may depict them brutally, he manages to encapsulate them within superlative imagery.

Sergei M Eisenstein is regarded in the "film world" as one of the key figures in the history and creation of film and its techniques. As well as creating films, he was a one of the first film theorists, and he pioneered the use of montage - how editing shots together creates and manipulates meaning. His films also addressed issues that were significant in his country, Russia, such as communism, and famously conflicted with the leader of the Soviet Union, Joseph Stalin. You may not have heard of him, but you will have most definitely seen his work. The famous "Odessa Steps" sequence from the film, "The Battleship Potemkin" has been parodied, referenced, homaged, copied in many films and other art mediums since, such as:

• The Godfather
    • Brazil
    • Star Wars
    • The Simpsons

and also influenced a lot of painter, Francis Bacon's work.

If you have ever seen a sequence where a baby in a carriage is falling down some steps, you have seen it :)

I implore you to watch the film. It influenced so many other films and filmmakers.

Luis Bunuel is fantastic! I am heavily into the surrealist art and film movement, and along with Eisenstein is considered one of the greatest filmmakers ever :)

His collaboration with Salvador Dali, Un Chien Andalou, introduced experimental filmmaking and also independent filmmaking to the world. You just cannot exaggerate his influence on filmmaking. L'Age D'or is fantastic too. Another of his films that you may have or may not have seen is Los Olivdados, which is probably my favourite of his works. It juxtaposes social realism with dream-like surrealism. David Lynch has said that while he has actually not seen many of Bunuel's films, he considers him to be an influence on his work :)

Great chat this :)

19. Healy

Healy Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Graphic Artist for Various Games
    NJ
    Doodle Jump. When he falls, my heart stops for a second.
    Canabalt. When he falls, my heart stop for a second.
    Graal. They have swords.

20. stutz

stutz Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2009
    Battle Bears - hordes of teddy bears running at me attempting to HUG ME TO DEATH is about the creepiest thing ever.

Aftermath - Atmospheric and legitimately scary. When lightning strikes you see the outlines of zombies coming at you.