SciFly II - First logo draft

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by jshmrsn, Apr 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jshmrsn

jshmrsn Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Mobile Game Developer
    Agoura Hills, CA
    SciFly: Dogfight had more to do with flying from planet to planet, so that was cool for the logo. SciFly II is actually entirely island based. Flying from island to island, so I don't know if a planet is really a good symbol for SciFly II, but I'll certainly give you the planet art I used for SciFly: Dogfight if you have an idea in mind.

[​IMG]

2. jshmrsn

Oct 29, 2008
    Mobile Game Developer
    Agoura Hills, CA
    Possible new icon
    [​IMG]

3. The Bat Outta Hell

The Bat Outta Hell Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    Looks pretty cool, but less grey =/

An icon means everything to me, it determines whether I click the link on it in the app store or not =P

4. Fletch

Fletch Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    The Internet
    I really like the blue background, and the design of the icon, but I think I have to agree with bat, by saying the grayness of the ship is a little dull.

5. BrettArchibald

BrettArchibald Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Male
    Self-employed interactive designer.
    Formerly Zimbabwe - now England.
    Now THAT is a groovy icon... :)

I disagree with the comments to make it "less grey", if by that they mean to add colours to it — but I would perhaps increase the contrast ever so slightly...

6. Marioman619

Marioman619 Well-Known Member

Mar 8, 2009
    :eek: I would buy this just for the icon! Just curious to see how the ship on it would look like if it was red.

7. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Well-Known Member

#67 Der-Kleine, Jun 15, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2009
    hmm. I tried to make my own icon...

[​IMG]

vs.

[​IMG]
    (transparent background!) :)

Tell me if you like it :cool:

8. Marioman619

Marioman619 Well-Known Member

Mar 8, 2009
    Transparent background icons look the best. Just look at icons like SnakeGalaxy. I think I'm obsessed with icons...

9. romulus

romulus Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2009
    new icon looks much much better... I think the grey is fine too

10. Palfince

Palfince Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2008
    England
    I just wanted to say thank you for the promo code for SciFly: Dogfight, it's really hyped me up for SciFly 2. It's actually a pretty good game and I couldn't stop playing until I had unlocked everything. I can't wait for SciFly 2 are you still doing the beta testing using people from this forum (since I signed up :D)?

Yeah I'd like to see the icon with a red ship on it, I think it would look better than the grey.

11. jshmrsn

Oct 29, 2008
    Mobile Game Developer
    Agoura Hills, CA
    Thanks for the feedback on the icons again. I'm still having a hard time deciding which direction to go in :p The gray/blue icon looks interesting, but it's very far away from complete because, like you guys are saying, the gray ship is way too dull. I actually tried red on the icon once, it looked really bad, but I should try again. The problem is that I really want that blue in the background because SciFly 2 is all over the ocean, but I can't think of any colors for the ship that wont clash with the ocean.

Also, I think the blue glowing ship concept is pretty slick looking (like http://scifly2.com and Der-Kleine derivative), but it just makes for a really weird iPhone icon.

So hard to decide :confused::confused::confused:

12. Prab

Prab Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Dec 17, 2008
    CS student
    SG
    If you can find a very good ship illustration, you can try to make the ship bigger by making it protrude out, just like how the burger in sky burger is made to look bigger by having a slight black background at the top and the burger nudge out on top.

13. bware218

bware218 Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2009
    software engineer, teacher, musician
    Bay Area, CA
    Try Complementary Colors

Something you may want to consider is the rule/notion of complementary colors . . . you have blues and whites over blues and whites making it a little hard to distinguish between the background and the actual logo. Don't be afraid to throw in a color that's a little further from blue in the spectrum to make it stand out more to the eye.

14. Palfince

Dec 30, 2008
    England
    Yeah, I didn't think the red looked that good but I thought it was probably due to my bad photoshop skills:

[​IMG]

I like the blue glowing silhouette of a ship it does look really slick, although I'm also not sure how well it will work as an icon. Perhaps you could just have an image of a ship coming towards you with a blue background. The ship could look like it was straight from the game and is a close up of it. I'm thinking kind of like Castle of Magic's icon but with more background (and a ship instead of a wizard).

[​IMG]

15. jshmrsn

Oct 29, 2008
    Mobile Game Developer
    Agoura Hills, CA
    Well we sorta had an icon like that a while ago before moving to the blue glow thing. How does this look?
    [​IMG]

Also, I really should give you guys my source images since you've been so kind as to make drafts yourself.
    I'm having a hard time digging everything up, but here's a big image of the aircraft (non rendered in-game):
    [​IMG]

And here's a link to the raw PSD file behind the gray icon.
    http://scifly2.com/material2.psd

16. Palfince

Dec 30, 2008
    England
    Yeah I was thinking about something like that, but more like this:

[​IMG]...[​IMG]

I just colourised the ship red (on Paint Shop Pro) and then put the sea background behind it (which I stole from one of SciFly 2's screenshots). I think it would also look better with thrust flames coming out of the back of the ship. It would make the icon look more exciting.

The main reason why I think the ship should be red, not grey, is because grey seems to tell me that it is work in progress since colours haven't been put in yet. Also red seems to be the main colour of SciFly 2's ships (even though there are 8000 different colour combinations).

17. Der-Kleine

If you make the red abit darker and more shiny it wuld look great. But I think the background of the original icon was better. ;)

18. Der-Kleine

With abit more Red...

[​IMG]

(Oops, I forgot to make the grey stuff around the plane invisable :eek:)

19. Palfince

Dec 30, 2008
    England
    I tried to make the ship darker but with more shine, doesn't look that much different:

[​IMG]...[​IMG]

I also tried it with the other background (merged slightly with the ocean background):

[​IMG]...[​IMG]

I still think that the icon (and Der-Kleine's) would look better with some flames coming out of the back. :D

20. Der-Kleine