Seen any misleading AppStore descriptions?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Red1, Nov 1, 2011.

1. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Maybe just a petty thing on my part, but I actually have more of a problem with devs that put requirements for their games IN the game description but then apparently don't tell Apple about it.

If a game doesn't run on older gen devices, then have Apple put it in the REQUIREMENTS section. Not sure how it really works, but apparently if it's not in that section then people stuck with crappy 2Gs like myself can download the game even if it won't work. If it IS in the requirements section, then Apple won't allow it to be downloaded directly to your device.

I generally now read the entire app description now to be on the safe side after getting burnt a few times (strange how things work out sometimes though. Squids had 3GS and up in their description but not in the Requirements and it DID work on my 2G).

Anyway, just a pet peeve of mine that I thought was worth noting. Sometimes app descriptions are correct, but the Requirements are what are misleading.

2. gunxsword

gunxsword Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    Check the forum thread, esp the last few posts. It'll catch you up to speed.
    ---------------------------------

Anyway, for the MOST misleading app descriptions:
    "The best, most realistic..."
    "A great/immersive story/plot"

Yeah that kind of hackneyed game descriptions that just get tossed out the window or taken for the opposite meaning.

3. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    I know there only seemed to be a few to complain about that IAP addition mess, but it's still one of the games that pissed me off the most with the way it was handled.

I wish I had asked for a refund. Probably too late now.

4. flybird

flybird Well-Known Member

Mar 8, 2011
    Not only misleading descriptions, but also misleading titles. I've just downloaded a game named Scary Prank and it turned out to be a crappy and stupid game!

5. iJoashFoo

iJoashFoo Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Singapore
    Yea, I've encountered lots of apps/games with misleading names/descriptions. For example, there's that Flight Simulator Pro by Imba Entertainment that fools people into thinking that it's a full-blown simulator(think X-Plane) when its just a guide for Microsoft's Flight Simulator for the PC. For apps, there's always those that claim to provide your phone with more security(fingerprint, androidlock etc). Hate those apps.

As for refunds though, I just got a refund for Galaxy on Fire 2 "SD" as I didn't know there was a HD version for my iPhone 4S until after I bought it. That's the only instance of me having to seek a refund so far though.

6. Blackharon

Blackharon Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Game Designer for Ludia
    Canada
    I got burned once with those 'guides posing to be apps'. I really wish they'd monitor the categories apps are being placed in more carefully. No way those are action games, they're books!