Universal Shadow Blade - (by Crescent Moon Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

From what I've played, this isn't a fighting game where you're pulling off cool moves. The enemies are more like obstacles. If you're stopping to fight them, your timing's off. The difficulty is in the platforming and getting faster times and smoother attempts. Like League of Evil, as EP put it before, but with more blood and a badass ninja

2. HardyRawls

HardyRawls Member

Jul 22, 2013
    Butt Doctor
    Los Angeles
    Ah, I see. Thanks.

3. Pocketnova

Pocketnova Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2012
    Fantastic! I played the first eight levels and I'm absolutely loving it. It's no Mark of the ninja, but it never tried to be. This is great. I'm going back to play some more. The hardcore mode also seems like it will be quite fun to play.

4. SumoSplash

SumoSplash Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    Hmmm... The whole L.O.E. vibe is probably appealing to most people, but I think I am looking for more hack 'n' slash, instead of the quick pace and perpetual wall jumping. I think if there was a hearty dose of Metroid mixed in here I'd bite, but from what I've seen so far that aspect seems to be lacking.

5. Ramaz1234

Ramaz1234 Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2013
    This game is so epic. Such a nice refreshing action Platformer :) Best game of 2014 so far for me.

6. Bronxsta

The speedrunners here are going to freaking love this game. I'm seeing so many ways to shave off seconds.

7. Echoen

Echoen Well-Known Member

May 16, 2012
    USA
    Installed it on my iPad 2 and it runs just as great.

8. Bronxsta

Wish that icon in the pause menu took you back to the level select screen rather than the main menu

9. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    Ditto. I was initially excited about this one but the more I see and read here, the more I have to say I am gonna pass. That's just not the kind of game I am looking for and the whole Ninja theme may have initially mislead me to believe this was more than just a trials/speedrun type game. I wwas hoping for more exploration, combat and just more of an adventure rather than another beat-the-clock platformer...

a Metroidvania styled Ninja game would be awesome BTW! Great idea!

10. Bronxsta

Have you played Mark of the Ninja on XBLA/PC?

11. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    I really think you guys may like this game more than you think. It's got the time element, but it's so much more than just a speed runner IMO. I liked the LOE style games, but I really got burnt out on them. And, while I like them, speed running platformers are my least favorite platforming genre.

There's just a much more well, ninja vibe, going on here. The combat isn't complex yet it's satisfying. It's not Metroidvania style, but you do have to try different pathways to find everything you need. I haven't aced the time on every level so far but it's far more forgiving in speed times than LOE. There's just much more to this than just speeding along and avoiding obstacles to get the best time.

It's not slow and stealthy like Mark of the Ninja (oh, how I wish they would port that to iOS), but it's still a blast and at least for my preference, better than the LOE games.

12. SumoSplash

SumoSplash Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    I'm on the fence with it. It definitely looks like it has too much runner in it for me, but at the same time that Scorpion-esque grapple hook attack looks pretty cool.

GET OVER HERE!

It's so hard for me to get into any action platformers. Once you've had Metroid Zero Mission it's like having the hottest chick on the planet. Most everything else just doesn't live up.

13. Echoen

Echoen Well-Known Member

May 16, 2012
    USA
    9/10 on Pocket Gamer

14. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    You guys make it sound like a bad game because of what it isnt.

15. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    What's LOE

16. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Ravenous Games's League of Evil series.

17. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    Ohh duh

18. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Instabought this am loving it! But it sounds like some of you would love Super House of Dead Ninjas. If you have a computer, you can buy it on Steam or play it free in your browser here:

http://games.adultswim.com/super-house-of-dead-ninjas-action-online-game.html

It's a "metroidvania-ish" ninja platformer with randomly generated levels. The emphasis is still on getting through it fast, though.

But this game is very awesome and has everything you would want in a ninja game.

But I would love to see iOS versions of games like SHoDN or Volgarr.

19. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    Mark of the Ninja is definitely the greatest ninja game of all time.

(I haven't played this yet, Bardbarian's been eating my time.)

20. Bronxsta

Well deserved and agreed. Shadow Blade is the best IOS platformer I've played in a while