Shadow Era: tips, strategy, metagame, decks.

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by eev, Feb 24, 2011.

1. AnAdolt

AnAdolt Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2010
    Canada
    #21 AnAdolt, Feb 24, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2011
    @TotallyImba If you wanted a good Zaladar deck against the AI, this might do, http://www.shadowera.com/showthread.php?677-In-search-of-fastest-AI-deck. I have a different PvP Zaladar deck but I haven't PvPed in awhile so I won't be posting that yet.

@eev I prefer strategies and deck compositions be centralized on the SE forum so I'd prefer if you don't add that deck to this thread. If you make a thread on the SE forum though, you're welcomed to link to it there.

2. eev

eev Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Germany
    #22 eev, Feb 24, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2011
    well, to build good deck is easy. to build tier 1 deck is harder. :D
    basically there are several types of decks (agro, control, burn and their combinations). so you look at the card pool and see what you can build up from them. deck should, of course, be able to answer to enemy threats, but most important is that you should have strategy.

lets take Zaladar. nice Hero which is able to do direct damage and deal with enemy creatures. looking at card pool, one can see there are some good and cheap creatures like Spark, Fire Snake. there are a lot of pump spells (Bloodlust etc.) so we can build a deck which will try to kill enemy very fast. we have the base of the deck and then just add cards which can help us to follow the strategy of the deck.

or humans. there is no good and cheap creatures, so agro way is not very efficient, but there are bunch of great 3cc and 4cc creatures. so what we can build up? some kind of midrange RG (RG are red and green colors from MTG). we take not very cheap but great creatures, direct damage spells, card draw. so we can follow the strategy of such decks - doing almost nothing in the first turns, maybe playing some card draw spells or burn. and then playing creatures and support them with direct damage spells.

all this is very simple for MTG players, comes with experience. :D

@AnAdolt
    this thread is mostly for support of inexperienced players, so decks are just examples of what newbies could build from precon decks. i am not going to take decks from other forums. anyway there are too few cards in the pool now, to really talk about Tier 1 and 2 decks.

3. walsh06

walsh06 Well-Known Member

Can you only build your deck from cards that are relevant to your hero. As in I have the Human Hunter. So I can use human cards and hunter cards, but not shadow cards or human warrior, mage. Is that right??

Im trying to set up my deck so i dont want to waist gold on cards I cant use.

4. eev

eev Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Germany
    exactly. for the Human Hunter you can use only cards with type hunter or human.

5. TotallyImba

TotallyImba Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2010
    United Kingdom
    How about a good Wulven deck? :)

6. eev

eev Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Germany
    there is one i like, look in the first post, Lazy Moonstalker.

7. crazygambit

crazygambit Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2010
    I just realized that Banebow's ability (3-Flaming Arrow does 2 damage up to 2 targets) is much better than Eladwen Frostmire's (3-Ice shard deals 4 damage to target ally).

First it can be used against any target, including heroes. But surprinsingly you can use it against the same target twice, dealing 4 damage.

Doesn't seem to be a bug either, since other cards say 2 "different" targets to avoid this. The downside is that he's shadow, but with more cards that might change. Definitely one to look out for.

8. TotallyImba

TotallyImba Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2010
    United Kingdom
    How does this compare to the Zalader deck you posted? which one is better overall?

9. eev

eev Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Germany
    Zaladar deck.
    1 turn: Spark
    2 turn: Spark + Spark, Attack for 3
    3 turn: Shard of Power, Attack for 15
    4 turn: gg

Moonstalker has much more power in late game. needs testing. which deck is overall better depends on metagame. so it's hard to say.

10. hamster787

hamster787 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2010
    I dont quite get how to come up with a good deck im using nishaven

11. eev

eev Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Germany
    well, u can just take Eladwen Frostmire deck, it will also work.

12. AnAdolt

AnAdolt Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2010
    Canada
    Aside from an AI deck, I wouldn't recommend having Shard of Power in a PvP deck. Unless you really know what you're doing. Once played, Shard will make your allies easy pickings and there's no real easy way of going back.

13. adamphetamine

adamphetamine Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2011
    Programmer/3D Modeling
    Bethlehem, Pa
    Shards good to have as long as u play it at the right time when u have at least 4 or 5 allies out and ready to attack. So if new players learn that they be ok.

14. Drakeer Melkhor

Drakeer Melkhor Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2010
    Freelance
    Spain
    #34 Drakeer Melkhor, Feb 25, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2011
    My feelings right now:

- I can't play Mind Control because it makes my allies card unable to attack the whole match. Importante bug Kyle! :p
    - Mage decks with portal card are dominating online game.
    - Hunters and Warriors need equip cards ASAP.
    - Gravebone hability is really overpowered right now, it should cost 3 mana instead of just 2.

15. eev

eev Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Germany
    #35 eev, Feb 25, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2011
    Portal is strong card, after some testing i have inserted it in my mage deck too. and also removed bad santa from the deck, it's too situational.

16. crazygambit

crazygambit Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2010
    I started with a mage deck too, like everyone else, but now I'm rocking a sweet Elemental aggro/control hybrid. I still need a few more cards before it's exactly how I want it, but I'm at least owning every single AI hero with ease (even Eladwen's Portal deck). Loving the game so far.

17. eev

eev Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Germany
    i have changed the mage deck - Midrange RG, deck list updated. so far a lot of pvp wins.

18. ilStugots

ilStugots Well-Known Member

May 27, 2009
    Another noob question.

I'm reading a lot of things like "this deck is good against agro decks, burn decks, etc". Is there a way to tell what kind of deck the AI is using? Or do you basically just roll the dice and hope that the AI is using whatever deck your current deck is good against?

19. eev

eev Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Germany
    i think that in this game every good constructed deck should win without any problems vs AI decks.

20. Fieryseraph

Fieryseraph Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2011
    Here's my Majiya burn deck:

1 Majiya
    4 Fire Serpent
    3 Bad Wolf
    3 Belladonna
    3 Plasma Behemoth

4 Fireball
    4 Lightning Strike
    2 Supernova
    1 Arcane Burst
    3 Here be Monsters
    2 Rain Delay

This is still a bit rough around the edges, but at the core, it's a burn/control deck. Basic premise is to draw (more than my opponent) and burn. Turn 3, it's usually fireball, Turn 4, it's usually Lightning Strike. I use Majiya's ability every time it charges, and unless my opponent can draw extra cards too, he usually runs out of cards by turn 6 or 7, and I still have 4 or 5 cards, whereupon I finish him off with Beladonna and Plasma dude. I don't get to use Here be Monsters as much as I would like, because I'm usually burning creatures, but when I do, I'm always satisfied. Also pondering the Rain Delay card, I haven't really needed it yet with all the burn. Also, I've only used Supernova once, I usually don't need it. Still tweaking, but I like it so far.