Shadow Era: tips, strategy, metagame, decks.

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by eev, Feb 24, 2011.

1. TotallyImba

TotallyImba Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2010
    United Kingdom
    eev, before I invest some money into this deck, can you tell me if it would survive in PvP? Would there be a Wulven deck which is better than this for pvp?

2. eev

eev Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Germany
    #42 eev, Feb 25, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2011
    hard to say, i tested it a bit and have sold, i dont like agro decks. maybe AnAdolt already has tested it in pvp. and if you gonna make such deck than probably take his build, it's almost the same but a bit more consistent. and new armors and weapons in next update can completely change how good decks are.

3. walsh06

walsh06 Well-Known Member

I nearly have enough for a starter pack and was wondering which is better, the wolves or elemental decks. I have it narrowed to those two and they both have stuff I like.

4. blake

blake Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2010
    I'm wondering the same thing

5. AnAdolt

AnAdolt Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2010
    Canada
    Regarding my posted Zaladar deck, it's a deck meant for AI grinding and is not recommended for PvP. As for Wulven vs Elemental, I'd recommend Elemental. Particularly, a Zaladar deck, a properly constructed one shouldn't have many problems taking down Darkclaw or Moonstalker.

6. TotallyImba

TotallyImba Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2010
    United Kingdom
    Any ideas how to make a good PvP Zalader deck?

7. eev

eev Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Germany
    what is properly constructed Zaladar deck? wulven have enough good cards to fight elementals.

8. blake

blake Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2010
    So, I just got 100 Shadow Crystals and I want to buy another deck to play with. I currently have a mage deck so what other deck would you recommend buying?

9. AnAdolt

AnAdolt Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2010
    Canada
    Regarding a PvP Zaladar deck, someone else posted on here. I haven't PvPed in a week or so, so my Zaladar deck may not be up to date; so I won't mention its composition. My Zaladar deck has faced off against a bunch of Darkclaw Lone Wolf decks and this was when Captured Prey didn't have a duration but I didn't seem to have any problems beating those decks.

@blake Currently, everyone's wild about mage decks, Eladwen in particular, so you may want to buy a mage class starter deck. Starter decks, aside from the 2 heroes, only give you Common rarity cards but their sell value is slightly better than booster packs.

10. eev

eev Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Germany
    #50 eev, Feb 28, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2011
    Wulven deck. this deck in my tests shows about even chances vs average Eladwen deck in format and that's ok. But of course Eladwens deck is overall stronger. it' not easy to pilot and would appeal more to players who like denial and control strategies. and of course games will be long.

Midrange Darkclaw 38 cards.
    -------------------------------
    1 Darkclaw

Creatures
    4 Infernal Gargoyle.
    4 Plasma Behemoth.
    4 Belladonna.

Spells
    4 Captured Prey.
    4 Now You’re Mine.
    4 What Big Teeth.
    4 Regeneration.
    4 Rabid Bite.
    2 Lone Wolf.
    4 Bad Santa.
    -------------------------------

there is enough good removal (i think people underestimate the strength of Rabid Bite in current meta). enough life gain to counter damage spells. just need to stall the game and later just finish with Behemoths or What Big Teeth. Sure one can add even more cards, like Rain Delay, Bazaar etc. it would be probably even better.

11. hbernritter

hbernritter Well-Known Member

Jul 15, 2010
    Inventory/Marketing Manager
    Toledo, OH
    In order to build up my wulven deck would I be better off buying boosters or more starter decks?

12. eev

eev Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Germany
    starter decks, they should give you more money, if you sell the cards. and most important they have already some good cards too.

13. hbernritter

Jul 15, 2010
    Toledo, OH
    Thanks eev, in 2 wulven decks I have yet to get rabid bite but I am enjoying the deck anyway. 2-0 so far with it.

14. eev

eev Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Germany
    #54 eev, Feb 28, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2011
    i like Rabid Bite now, it's not that great card overall, but in current Eladwen meta it is usually fog + removal effect in one card, what is nice. Rabid Bite is rare and therefore expensive, it costs 800 ingame gold for a playset. so i would not say this card is must have. maybe some other players can give some suggestions about this card.

15. hbernritter

Jul 15, 2010
    Toledo, OH
    Are Hunter decks really bad? I come across either mages, or warriors mostly. I myself have both as well as wulven and elemental and wonder if the hunter is even worth it. The traps seem so.

16. lobsterninja

lobsterninja Member

Apr 1, 2009
    Does anyone think that a Warrior control deck w/ Ter Adun, Here there be Monsters, Crippling Blow, and Deathbone might work? Also, when weapons and armor come out, that card that destroys one weapon or armor. I'm not sure if this would be good or just annoying.

17. eev

eev Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Germany
    with new weapons in armors in the update i think that Hunters and Warrior will be competitive, but now most Heroes do nothing useful.

18. lobsterninja

lobsterninja Member

Apr 1, 2009
    How about a Gravebone+Deathbone+Portal deck? I mean I know anything with portal will probably do well but bringing back any Deathbone that is killed seems rather threatening, and it counters Eladwen pretty well, especially if you threw in some webs too.

19. Stormhide27

Stormhide27 Active Member

May 12, 2010
    #59 Stormhide27, Mar 7, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2011
    I found this in the shadow era forums

**ALL CREDIT GOES TO PLAYER ICE**
    I DIDNT MAKE THIS

Let me start off by saying that the Eladwen matchup isn't as bad as you might think. I've gone second many times, and many times I lost I've been but a strand of a hair away from winning, meaning if I had gone first, I would have most likely have had it in the bag (too bad no one at the top wants to go second ). That said, I'm subject to the laws of nature like everyone else in that I am capable of losing.

I originally hadn't planned on talking about my deck, but since you're all talking about it anyway, let's have a look at it, shall we?

Hero: Majiya

Allies:
    4 Infernal Gargoyle
    4 Belladonna
    4 Plasma Behemoth
    4 Bad Wolf

Abilites:
    4 Fireball
    4 Lightning Strike
    2 Supernova
    4 Here be Monsters

Items:
    3 Research
    3 Portal

The deck has changed quite a bit since my first build. I've since removed Rain Delay and Clinging Webs, Here be Monsters found its way in as one of the most important cards in the deck, and the number of certain cards have been changed slightly. Although I do miss the former two in some instances, I can't justify their inclusion right now. Besides, it's doing pretty well without them.

4 Plasma Behemoths so I don't feel torn about sacrificing one or two of them early on, and he's also pretty good against Darkclaw. Bad Wolf becomes resource fodder early in the game against Eladwen, as it can't survive ice shard. This means Infernal Gargoyle is a better choice if you want to play an ally early (either due to not having a Fireball or not having a Here be Monsters, which are both better choices than the gargoyle for your turn 3 play).

Due to Majiya's hero power, I can get away with only running 3 Research and 3 Portal; I'm likely to find them anyway, and I don't like drawing dead cards late game.

Belladonna is best used with Portal, obviously, basically granting you a reusable Fireball if not answered, and replaces herself by drawing you a card for further card advantage.

Fireball and Lightning Strike for killing the ubiquitous Human allies. Supernova is there for insurance if the board gets flooded by allies (just make sure you have enough health to survive some turns after using it).

The key is to not be in a hurry to beat your opponent, like you would be if you were playing Eladwen or Zaladar. This is a mid-range/control deck, and your playing style should reflect that.

You're right in that I don't care about early damage too much. As long as the damage isn't overwhelming, meaning turn 2 Blake followed by turn 3 Aldon while I'm on the draw, I usually let Majiya tank some hits while casting a Here be Monsters or two (fantastic card when going first, and still good when going second). If Eladwen (I'm referring to this matchup quite a bit, but it is them most common one) can't get a 3-cost ally on turn 3, Here be Monsters is the best play you can make.

Going first against Eladwen, you'll want to follow up your opponent's turn 2 ally with playing a turn 3 Here be Monsters. If it yields a second 2-cost ally, feel free to Lightning Strike them into oblivion. If there is no second ally, play a second Here be Monsters, or a Portal if you don't have a HBM.

Zaladar isn't too threatening, unless he runs Shard of Power, though that also means he becomes easier to control (Lightning Strike guarantees you kill two allies, for example). Lacking Portal, Zaladar has a hard time regaining lost momentum.

A big worry for the deck is Aeon Stormcaller, meaning two or more of him (then again, most decks should have some degree of trouble with that). One Aeon is pretty managable, but two can get a little out of hand if they're played back-to-back.

Another worry is several back-to-back Here be Monsters if you're going second. The deck can't play anything besides Research with only two resources. Getting hampered by HBM isn't fatal, since you're not taking much damage in the process, but it sure puts you at a disadvantage.

This became somewhat lengthy. I probably missed something I wanted to say, but it can't be helped now.

I found this in the shadow era forums works well

20. ava_martini

ava_martini New Member

Mar 3, 2011
    I use a hunter deck. I started with gwenneth, but have put her aside until the weapons come out.

Right now, I'm using Banebow because of his ability which I love. I've built a solid deck which uses deathtraps and the +2 attack shadow ability to all allies.

I know that it's very selfish of me... but I don't want to share what's in my deck because I like that there's only a few hunter decks around... hehe

If a mage doesn't play portal on the 4th turn or if he does have portal but is unlucky with the other draws, then I usually manage to beat them.