Shadow Era: tips, strategy, metagame, decks.

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by eev, Feb 24, 2011.

1. addybojangles

addybojangles Member

Sep 14, 2010
    Marketing
    Portland, OR
    Been waiting for a game like this!

Kind of played Magic, but was REALLY into the Eye of Judgment for both PS3 and PSP. This looks spectacular - can't wait to DL tonight!

2. ikelleigh

ikelleigh Member

May 5, 2009
    Hey guys. I'm new to these strategy card games. I have never played Magic or anything like that, but have always been fascinated by it from afar. I saw this, and decided to give it a try since I just got an iPad.

TL;DR New user struggling

So far I like the gameplay. After the first couple of losses I think I "got it", and I was winning every AI match up to level 3. I've been using Eladwen Frostmire and I'm struggling at this point. After the 6th loss in a row against the AI, I'm about ready to give up.

It seems like it takes forever to build up the resource pool enough to actually start casting offensive cards (most seem to take 4 resources). By the time I can start attacking, my health is down a 3rd. Then the AI takes out my offense cards, and I'm left with Item cards that don't seem to benefit me, and again I find myself trying to pool up the resources to cast 2 cards. By the time I seem to build up any kind of attack, I'm down to 10 health... next round dead. I'm probably picking the wrong cards to sacrifice... I don't know.

The difficulty curve seems to skyrocket at lvl 3. Has anyone else noticed this or is just my bad luck of the draw?

Also, is there a way for me to restart the game to try another type of hero or am I locked into this one?

Any suggestions for card upgrades? Should I stick with buying the Mage deck to add cards, or get the booster packs?

I was really enjoying this for a few hours, but now not so much. I want to give it a chance. I just feel frustrated currently.

Thanks for any suggestions/tips.

3. Jumby

Jumby New Member

Apr 28, 2011
    I dont know what to buy!

So i started playing this really good game and im already level 4 with 100 crystals and i dont know what deck to buy, i already read this forum all the way through and i cant figure out what to buy, so if someone can tell me what to buy and ....

Can someone tell me what to buy with gold coins, and were can i get a weapon for my hero cause i dont know NOTHING

4. eev

eev Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Germany
    better to ask it on shadowera forums, there is a lot of activity.

5. stlredbird

stlredbird Well-Known Member

May 21, 2009
    Do you get crystals or whatever you need to buy new decks from playing offline or only online?

6. Super Cronk

Super Cronk New Member

May 20, 2011
    #66 Super Cronk, May 20, 2011
    Last edited: May 20, 2011
    I agree that the time it takes to build enough crystals and money to get more cards if frustrating. A way i found round this is to earn them by trying some other games. If you go into the Merchant section where it shows the starter decks, click on the box in the lower right corner of the deck display. That brings up an option to buy crystals. There is also a button that says earn crystals. by downloading several free games i was able to earn enough to buy another deck. I'm also considering getting a netflix account to earn about 1800 crystals!

I might be able to help with some strategy also. I've played Magic for a while and some of the strategies work the same.

One of the biggest things is card advantage. That is basicaly having more cards than your opponent. The more cards, the more options you have and the more resorses you can create. This can be done in different ways.

The most direct way is by drawing more cards. I started out with Nishaven and I ended up buying more of the research card(the one where you pay 2 and draw a card) so that i had four total and i would use it as much as possible. The hero that lets you draw cards (I cant remember her name) can be very powerful as well. Im not real fond of the card that has both players draw and extra card. It can be effective if used right but has the potential to help your opponent more.

Another way to gain card advantage to get a two for one trade whenever possible or three for one, four for one, etc. This can be using Nishaven's ability to take out 5 of your opponents allies, using the lightning bolt to take out two allies, using creatures that are hard to kill, etc. This is why i chose Nishaven for my first deck. His ability to deal a large amount of damage to several creatures is very strong. In magic its called a wrath effect, after the card Wrath of God which destroys every creature in play. The power behind this is that you can let your opponent play their creatures and deal some damage to you early while you build up your strength. Wiping out their board at the right time when you have a strong hand and they are running low can lock the game up in your favor. Teaming this kind of strategy with card drawing can be very effective. Right now i would say that my Nishaven deck with card drawing and burn is my strongest deck out of the four that i have set up.

It is possible to start over, in a way. I have a droid though so there might be a difference with apple devices, i dont know. I created a new account to try a different hero and when i tried to go back into my first account, it started me over from the begining. It seems like they set it up so you can only have one account associated with a device at any one time.

When i'm deciding what cards to sacrifice early on in the game, i look for cards that are not useful in the next few turns.
    For example, i have a starting hand with a creature that costs 2, two lightning bolts (costs 4), a retreat spell (costs 2), a creature that costs 3 and a fireball (costs 3). I won't be able to cast the lightning bolts at least untill turn 4 and i have two in hand so i would use one of those to sacrifice first.

i hope this all helps someone. If anyone has any questions just send me a message and i'll help you as much as i can.

I do wish that you could search for people to play. Hopefuly they will add some more functions in the future.

7. medianotzu

medianotzu Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    That's a really nice post Super Cronk.

By the way, is there no way to download free apps for crystals anymore? I've looked in-app and on the website and haven't run across that. Perhaps it was done away with since Apple started rejecting apps utilizing the download for in-game currency enabled apps?

8. putakti

putakti New Member

@medianotzu

actually the free apps was removed to comply on Apple's TOS but you can still earn Shadow Era Crystals thru web and thru ShadowEraCrystals.com