SHADOWKEEPER: Eye of the Beholder inspired Dungeon Crawler

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by kukulcan, Mar 14, 2012.

1. kukulcan

kukulcan Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    We are just laying the groundwork while at the same time drawing some blueprints of what the house may look like.

It is fun to show some early results, but this is right now planned as an early 2013 release. Just remaking the original game would have been much easier, but this is now a completely original game done by a team of three highly motivated but only human beings.

2. BlaikAwesome

BlaikAwesome Active Member

Apr 14, 2012
    I loved "Eye Of The Beholder", can't wait to see how this holds up to that title!

3. kukulcan

Jan 4, 2009
    Imagine Eye of the Beholder 3 meets Lands of Lore and they become friends and agree to share only their best qualities ;)

4. macatron

macatron Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2009
    Awesome!! So can I expect to see an "All Attack" button, and a “Hand of Fate” spell in your game?!? :-D That would be EPIC!!

5. kukulcan

Jan 4, 2009
    Automapping at least is a given ;)

And the plan is to have the other team members use their standard attacks when using those gesture controls for one of them. But nothing is set in stone yet.

6. LazyGamer

LazyGamer Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2011
    Kiel, Germany
    I somehow lost interest after (or half way through?) Beholder II. Dungeon Master was after all the better game and Beholder didn't really manage to come up with exciting new stuff in the sequels.

Played Lands of Lore then as I loved the style, but it was pretty shallow. So best qualities would be graphics from Lands of Lore and I don't really know what from EotB 3 - reviews were pretty underwhelming.

7. kukulcan

Jan 4, 2009
    I am completely with you, the genius of Dungeon Master level design is unparalleled, it is one of my favorite games of all time.

But there is already the perfect Dungeon Master clone available and probably coming to iOS. So we felt like we should differ a little and instead of one dungeon which feels like "made with the sole purpose of creating a dungeon to send adventurers through" we want to have a small world with little story to be told. The scope and variety of this world will be close to EotB3 or LoL.

We want to make it as comfortable and accessible as possible but even with a fixed set of characters which are picked up on the way we want to offer much more character development than LoL.

8. kukulcan

Jan 4, 2009
    Sorry for being quiet, we are pretty busy testing performance on different dungeon designs.

Trying this vaulted design made us realize that our deferred rendering is almost poly independant. The first design was only a good 1000 polys per dungeon grid, this is like 12000 and there is like no performance hit at all.

[​IMG]

While looking pretty bland for now this is really important for us, as we know we can do well rounded geometry as well and will concentrate much more on geometry than bumpmaps - which makes a huge difference with moving lights.

[​IMG]

9. Artfoundry

Artfoundry Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    COO and Creative Director at LCD Dreams, Inc.
    Bay area, CA
    Looks great! Looking forward to seeing it finish.

10. LazyGamer

Sep 26, 2011
    Kiel, Germany
    That does'nt look anything like Eye of the Beholder anymore...I think that is ... a good thing?!? Don't get me wrong, this looks impressive but I miss the vibe :(

11. kukulcan

Jan 4, 2009
    Aaaah...Kickstarter, wish we were based in the US, but probably we will set up an indiegogo project. Game really exploded in scope after going away from a simple remake.

@Lazygamer...we cant promise an EotB "vibe" but it will look mightily atmospheric once we add flickering torches and go away from this "cleanroom" look with dirt maps and tons of props/details.

12. kukulcan

Jan 4, 2009
    [​IMG]

Not in engine yet and maybe a little darker than the final ingame rendering, but a look like this we are aiming for the city.

13. Artfoundry

Artfoundry Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    COO and Creative Director at LCD Dreams, Inc.
    Bay area, CA
    Nice!

14. LazyGamer

Sep 26, 2011
    Kiel, Germany
    Yes, I know, it is about 'darkness' and you want to make it a dark style...but I can't see shit on my iPad under normal light conditions

15. sub

sub New Member

Jun 18, 2012
    well, i think it looks great. really looking forward to this!

16. kukulcan

Jan 4, 2009
    Another dungeon design, not in engine yet - will probably look better there ;)

[​IMG]

17. macatron

macatron Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2009
    Love it!! Any idea when you'll be able to post up another short gameplay video? :)

18. kukulcan

Jan 4, 2009
    It will take another week or two. Building particle system right now as billboard fire didn't cut it when torches are being carried around. We are really eager to show something off...but then there are times to consolidate your code and make sure new features won't kill performance.

19. master lee

master lee Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Greece kos island
    ETA for this beauty???

20. kukulcan

Jan 4, 2009
    Tentative release date is Q1/2013