SHADOWKEEPER: Eye of the Beholder inspired Dungeon Crawler

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by kukulcan, Mar 14, 2012.

1. macatron

macatron Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2009
    Roger that, and I totally understand where you're coming from on the performance aspect. Either way, I'll be looking forward to seeing some in game shots or footage in the coming weeks. :D

2. LazyGamer

LazyGamer Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2011
    Kiel, Germany
    yeah - finally there is an 'Urbish Mines' vibe...I like it!

3. macatron

Sep 12, 2009
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking too!! I freakin' LOVED the mines in Lands of Lore!! :D

4. kukulcan

kukulcan Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    You asked for it and I ripped a version from the programmer's hands showing off light from a moving torch (sorry, no particle fire yet and really low quality).

Yes, you have seen lighting like this in Forgotten Memories, but when we have real flickering torchlights this will have a very distinct look. I expect jaws to drop once the particle system is in place and we are ready show this in full quality.

5. macatron

Sep 12, 2009
    Wow! Awesome work with the shadows. I can't wait to see it with everything else enabled!! This is going to be EPIC!! :D

6. Captive

Captive Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2011
    Could be some good days ahead for ipad dungeoneers

7. LazyGamer

Sep 26, 2011
    Kiel, Germany
    I really hope so! I am still holding off playing Grimrock waiting for the iOS version. Can't wait to see how both turn out on iOS hardware. I like the Quest too, but at heart I am a graphics whore.

8. kukulcan

Jan 4, 2009
    A small work in progress of a doggy inhabiting the mines. It looks a little cute still, but you might change your mind when it goes for your throat.

puppy.jpg

9. kukulcan

Jan 4, 2009
    #89 kukulcan, Jul 18, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2012
    I updated the original post with some new info.

Basically in the last months this game went from a "quick remake" to something pretty huge - ideas and the library of assets we build rather define the scope of a full PC/console release (not Skyrim of course). Engine is being reworked to use the latest opengl extensions on iPad 2/iPhone 4S and upcoming devices. iPhone 3GS and similar are still in (everything 5.0/6.0 capable) but instead of adjustable settings they will get their own render engine with tweaked lighting and effects.

So release date is now 2013, still targeting first half, but looking at quite some extensive Alpha/Beta testing. Also we are looking at ways to fund parts of the game and think about going through a publisher to make sure this won't get overlooked. Hope we have some news on this soon.

Sorry for only words and no pics, but it is time for a short summer vacation...but I am sure Andreas will get a few lines of code into his laptop and I am armed with freshly printed Grimrock graph paper for some brain dumps.

10. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Despite the delay I am more excited than ever to check this out.

11. kukulcan

Jan 4, 2009
    We don't call it delay, just concession to reality ;)

Still targeting early 2013, we just believe that the time for final polish will be rather months than weeks.

12. LazyGamer

Sep 26, 2011
    Kiel, Germany
    Does it have any food/hunger mechanics?

13. kukulcan

Jan 4, 2009
    I just realized Dungeon Crawler is not the correct description for the game, as there is more than dungeons. And so there is no logical reason for a lack of food or the need to implement it at all.

I found it OK in Dungeon Master and Grimrock but I never missed it in games that don't have it. So resting is not at all penalized, but you just can not rest in areas that haven't been "cleared".

14. macatron

Sep 12, 2009
    Sounds great to me!! I've never been a fan of hunger mechanics in these types of games. :)

15. kukulcan

Jan 4, 2009
    So we are back from vacation and I started to feed our new concept artist ideas for monster designs, here is the first result:

[​IMG]

We will setup a (modest) IndieGoGo project in the next months to get these original designs modeled and animated. It will be done by Mathias, our 3rd team member, but he actually needs to make a living off his work, while we other two are self-funded.

16. LazyGamer

Sep 26, 2011
    Kiel, Germany
    Will this be one or three monsters in the final game?

17. kukulcan

Jan 4, 2009
    3 sketches is his standard bundle, but unless we get some unexpected funding, we won't be able to implement all the different versions.

But this one will maybe result in a snail plus a centipede.

18. LazyGamer

Sep 26, 2011
    Kiel, Germany
    If you have team members in the UK you might be able to go to kickstarter soon - indiegogo just isn't the real deal.

19. kukulcan

Jan 4, 2009
    #99 kukulcan, Aug 9, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2012
    Thanks, that would be awesome, UK would be not a problem I believe...anyway we are preparing our pitch and trailer and will then see which options we have.

Posted this in developer trade forum already, another creature design:

rat.jpg

20. macatron

Sep 12, 2009
    Any new screenshots, videos or news on this?? I'm still really looking forward to playing this!! :)