iPhone Shadowrun Returns (Tactical RPG)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Hambo12, Oct 17, 2012.

1. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

But the 3GS, the 4 and the 4s are. Unless the specifically denied access, they'd have much less screen real estate to work with.

There is the chance that they tried, but it might have looked terrible, so they were limited in their options. Making something work with a tablet sized screen from a PC interface is a challenge, but to get it working on an even smaller iPhone size could mean it is unreadable to the point of frustration on the end user.

And remember, if it's not perfect there would be countless negative reviews saying how small the font is.

Sadly, 2 things ring true:

1) Thieves will steal anything.
    2) People will complain freely and happily about everything.

Would the extra sales initially outweigh the possible negative reviews they'd get from people who could read the words?

Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if there were complaints from the Mini/iPad 2 owners due to the text being hard to read on the non retina display.

2. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I understand the logic, but... are you people just being rhetorical or are you definitively citing knowledge that Shadowrun Returns certainly does not support iPhone/iPod? Where I come from you don't play video games to read walls of text.

In the spirit of being hypothetical, I'll point out that you can legible read plentiful text on Safari and even precisely tap tiny boxes to type. It's hard to believe video games would require more precision or font size than the average internet browsing, which functions well on iPhone/iPod. I agree with Cygnet, I'd like them to let me take my chances even if I have to scruntch my eyes.

3. andsoitgoes

#63 andsoitgoes, Jul 20, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2013
    Ugh. Mother fudge. The thing I'm most looking forward to is having more memory so pages refresh less frequently. FFS.

Anyway.

I come from a time when playing video games was almost entirely reading. I thought y'all did too? Anyway, looking at the detail and the videos, it seems there is a significant amoun of reading involved, and that's just how it is.

As for text size, writing in video games is a big difference than the text on a webpage.

Now this is all conjecture. The developers of Shadowrun would most likely want to make as much as possible from the game. Putting it on iPhones and iPods along with the iPad would be a certain way to make that happen.

If it starts iPad only, I am SURE they will work to make it for iPhones too. It only means more money for them, but they also have to deal with PC/Mac/Linux as well, and the PC version will be much more full featured, those features aren't important to me but still, there's more there.

On the same vein, look at games like Small World, Frozen Synapse, hell Magic 2013/14 etc. they're all iPad only and are far from earning the developers as much money as they could. Hell, can you imagine the sales if they put even Magic on the small screen? Oh god I'd die...

Anyway, I REALLY hope they make it universal, I really do. REALLY DO. But if they do it and the text is too small to see, it WILL equal scores of negative reviews because the text is hard to read. You've seen the App Store. You know people won't consider that maybe the devs tried as hard as possible to make it as legible as possible. They'll just complain. "1*, game sucks! Can't read, text to (sic) small! GAME SUKS!!"

Sigh.

I pray it comes out next week. I will be away, but I'll make sure I have Internet access to get it, regardless of what devices it works on.

4. Nekku

Nekku Well-Known Member

May 31, 2013
    There are downloadable wallpapers for PC, iPad and even in iPhone 4S & 5 resolution on the official homepage. Maybe that is a hint for a universal port? I guess not but i would be very happy if it is.

5. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #65 undeadcow, Jul 20, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2013
    Sites are reporting iPhone/iPod compatability so I'd assumed some official press release or confirmation but apparently not.
    Yeah, yeah... I remember logging into the BBS over dial up to play text based MUDs, etc. My part in this conversation about iPhone text is rooted in more in my hopes of an iOS Zork port.
    You are correct, but it seems unfortunate developers and the gaming community are prone to honor ill conceived feedback of that nature. To think that people might be able to play a Shadowrun game on their phone is revolutionary.
    Thank you. If iPhone users can't play Shadowrun they can at least have it as their background, haha.

Fingers crossed.

6. Fangbone

Fangbone Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2012
    Michigan, USA
    Really pumped for this game. If its as good as it looks it'll be GOTY material for sure. Hopefully it drops for us on the 25th.

7. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I don't really consider it ill conceived. As developers it's their job to craft games to fit the appropriate platform. Trying to cram Skyrim onto a calculator would be a stupid idea, and I'd expect it to receive negative reviews. I've always been against the idea that just because it shows technological prowess, flaws should be forgiven. If the text is hard to read and the UI is hard to use, it's on the wrong platform and putting it there was either stupid or greedy.

8. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Watching the video on the first page, i cant stop thinking about the possibility of having Fallout 1 and 2 on the ipad. I would friggin love that.

That said, Shadowrun looks fantastic on that video.

9. CoreyB

CoreyB Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2011
    Aircraft Mechanic
    Chicago, IL
    I couldn't agree more. Unless you use an ipad regularly it's hard to grasp how much extra screen you have. When I pick up my iPod now the first thing I think is how could I have gamed on this for so long. Looking at the videos of the game the text already looks very small. Frozen synapse got a lot of complaints about that also. If they where able to shink that game down to fit the smaller screen most of your playing time would be scrolling through text and around the map. I just wouldn't be a fun experience.

10. Nobunaga

Nobunaga Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2012
    So, a little bit of searching later, no real info on the iOS launch.
    There are conflicting reports on whether it's tablet only or not.
    Kotaku reported it'll launch on the 25th on the AppStore.
    Polygon says it'll be after.
    Other sites seem to be divided as well.
    No definitive news on the official page.
    An update would be nice.

11. andsoitgoes

I posted above that Harebrained officially announced that it has been submitted, and the release is in the hands of Apple now.

So no one will know until it launches. It may be this or next week, unless it gets rejected ala... Something recently. Leviathan maybe?

12. Joltrabbit

Joltrabbit Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2012
    Fallout 1, 2 and tactics are $2.99 combined on steam. Something to think about when you purchase Shadowrun returns this week...

13. soup

soup Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    fallout's still a dream of mine too, would back that on kickstarter immediately !
    have all versions already, but would love 1 or 2 on ios

This though i am definitely looking forward too
    Wikipedia just mentions Ipad btw.

14. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    The Fallout Collection (1,2, & Tactics) $2.99 deal on Steam is a time limited flash sale so might not last beyond today. Thank you for pointing t out, I bit at that price. I really wanted digital copies that were DRM free but Steam's price here is great, evil though they may be, and GOG's unlikely to be that rock bottom.

15. Nobunaga

Jun 2, 2012
    Weird. I looked on the HBS and shadowrun websites and didn't see that anywhere.

16. andsoitgoes

I asked on their Facebook page, that's where they answered.

I'm praying it launches as planned, but we won't know until then. It's the one thing that is really frustrating with apple's system.

17. Nobunaga

Jun 2, 2012
    #77 Nobunaga, Jul 22, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2013
    Right on. I just found confirmation they had submitted it already too. Thanks.
    On the bright side, It would be in Apple's best interest to get it out alongside the worldwide release.
    Edit: submitted on the 19th or earlier.

18. ojtitus

ojtitus Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    Glad to see there are lots of other people that are looking forward to this release as much as I am.

19. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    Yep, I just bought them even though I still own the disk versions.... Nice to own it digitally!

20. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    To clarify, I asked Harebrained Schemes and it is iPad only. Not a universal app.