Universal Shattered Planet (RPG) - (by Execution Labs)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Feb 10, 2014.

1. tanyaxshort

tanyaxshort Member

Jun 22, 2013
    Game designer
    Montreal, Canada
    Depth of tactics is one of the aspects we hope to address with the premium Steam version (which will then trickle down into the free versions, most likely, though it depends how we implement the controls). We chose to prioritise accessibility over complexity for the free/mobile versions, which is disappointing to "true" roguelike fans for sure.

Potential expansions to the existing system include activate-able weapon and armor powers with cooldowns, special powers per captain type, companion commands, stances, flanking bonuses, etc.

We hope to keep working on Shattered Planet and improving it over time, with the hope of catching up to Dungeons of Dredmore (in tactical challenge, if not in content volume) by the end of the year. It was never intended as a "fire and forget" app -- we want it to be a hobby that grows and matures, for us and for players. :)

2. tanyaxshort

tanyaxshort Member

Jun 22, 2013
    Game designer
    Montreal, Canada
    Re: bugs

Crashing: I'm really sorry about any crashes -- it's mostly to do with limited processing and memory on iTouches, iPad 2s, iPad 4s. I recommend closing all other apps and ideally also rebooting the device so it's fresh. We're looking at ways to better-optimise, but most of it is out of our hands, unfortunately, and we may disable iTouch downloads entirely.

Crystal loss through synthesising items: We are pushing a fix for this which should come in next week. It only happens if the app restarts, though, not suspends (though it may restart if too much memory is taken up by other apps). The only real way to fix it is to either make sure you go through the teleporter before suspending, OR make sure you put the newly-created weapon/helmet into storage before suspending. Sorry!

3. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    I'm not generally an "IAP guy", that said I'm going to gladly but the crystal tripler for $3. Your game is the absolute perfect mix of mobile exploration, combat and rpg elements to meet my on the go gaming habits. This is such a surprise release for me this week and yes it's way more than a "fire and forget" app for me. I truly hope to see some awesome content updates from you guys, but looking at the caliber of Shattered Planet, I'd say that's a given. I'll be adding my five star review to iTunes soon; the game deserves it. Great job guys,

Rixhard

4. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    This is all fantastic news. Looking forward to seeing this get better and better!

5. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    Are the classes merely cosmetic?

6. tanyaxshort

tanyaxshort Member

Jun 22, 2013
    Game designer
    Montreal, Canada
    The clone skins are purely cosmetic right now.

It's highly likely that we will add at least a small "class" support with a small difference between the different clone types in the next couple of months so your upgrades only apply to that character. For now, any upgrades apply to all clone types.

The class system would also incidentally add a way to experience it fresh as a newbie again (it's nice to start over completely sometimes).

7. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    Well I definitely am looking forward to that update then :D

8. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Downloading

9. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    This may not have many tactical decisions to make during combat, but the gear/equipment/item systems make up for it pretty well. There's tons of cool pieces of equipment that have their own special attributes, which I dig. There's so many unique pieces, and I can't wait to see them all

10. Solarclipse

Solarclipse Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2012
    This is great to hear. I'm a little bummed to have to wait, having started. C'est la vie.

It would be nice to keep the scrap metal bonus stats across class types, but different, class specific skills by finding different Manuals or implants. You could only find certain more powerful skills by descending further into the planet then, or only find certain skills in a particular mission. This would motivate exploration even more and provide reward for going deeper.

And I think you could come up with some very interesting skills. Reducing blight or blight walking would be great as sometimes the teleporter is on the other side of the entrance. Or being able to jump down or up safely in such situations. Bonuses to pets from taming skills. Weapon proficiencies. Resistances. Stealth. Hacking robots. So many possibilities with the Sci-fi background.

Leveling up which occurs only during the given run would also be a way to leverage strategy...

Anyway, glad to have your presence here in the forum. Best wishes Tanya.

11. Xexist

Xexist Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    Canada
    i wish my pet was a little more agressive. kinda just stands there .

12. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    Agree with everything you said, especially in-run leveling, which would make it feel like more of a rougelike

13. NOEN

NOEN Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2012
    U.S.
    Wow! This game caught me by surprise. Im loving it so far. Really fun.

14. Grifman

Grifman Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Sorry but this game is buggy as hell. I've had it look up on me twice now in 30 minutes. Also, are there any guns? I just think melee weapons don't make any more sense in the future than they do today.

15. Xexist

Xexist Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    Canada
    I haven't had it lock up once, and yes there are guns.

16. Roleki

Roleki Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2012
    I'm in the same camp as those who are enjoying this, but tend to agree that strategy is lacking. Why not break with roguelike tradition and fix the potion colors? It could still be essential to "identify" each one through trial and error, but once known, would add an element of strategy as to when and how to use them. I don't believe this would overpower the player, but it would be a lot more fun as you learned them all, and used them more effectively.

Anyone else willing to vote for this in an update, the devs seem to be listening?

17. theoxygenthief

Nov 13, 2010
    I feel like a lot of the commentators in this thread a)didn't play the game even or b)misunderstood it completely. You don't really pick up items much on playthroughs, yes, as it would be quite pointless to pick up lots of items as you lose them upon death. You earn ample amounts of scrap and crystals though, which you then use to strengthen your char and buy items in the ship, as you don't lose those items in your locker upon death. Yes, there is a case to be made for skill trees etc, but I think this defies the point of the game. It's simple throwaway gameplay is its charm in my opinion. I have to agree with two critisisms though- the strength stat seems broken or the progression is just really really weak, and the pet AI is utterly useless. The pet is pretty much just cosmetic atm. This game surprised me pleasantly, i've had a hard time putting it down and I am very grateful the developers didn't build in insurmountable pay to win mechanics. IAPs seem almost futile to me!

18. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2010
    #58 Tango, Mar 29, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2014
    Is there a way to exit out to the ship beyond dying? I used a potion that ended up being a bomb and stranded myself on a 2 tile island. Can't find a way to quit the game. Do I just have to keep walking in place until the "darkness" gets to me and kills me? If so, maybe put in a "There are no more moves, do you wish to recycle yourself" pop up or something.

Update: After exiting the app to post here, the level reset and I have a new chance to run the level. Not sure if that us by design or not, but seems like the best idea is to try and finish the level before leaving it if you exit mid run.

19. Solarclipse

Solarclipse Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2012
    You can jump, just tap on an area off land. It costs 30 health, however, so it pretty much kills you until you've leveled up hp. There also potions that will make you or an opponent jump...you still lose hp though :)

20. Grifman

Grifman Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    I'm not getting this game. I just go out, explore a little and die. I lose all my equipment, can't afford any new equipment except after dying a number of times, then I lose it all again. Seems just fruitless to me, I have little sense of progression, mostly a sense of frustration. Uninstalled.