Should we bring No Time To Explain to the iOS?

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by tinyBuild, Mar 23, 2011.

1. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Touch the screen where you want the beam fire at? and a button on the right to activate the beam?

2. Ventara

Ventara Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2011
    Holy crap, this would be awesome on the iPhone! But yeah, getting the controls right would definitely be tricky.

3. GasparZizou

GasparZizou Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2010
    MKT student, intern in an advertising agency.
    Guadalajara
    BRING IT! GOOD LORD! it looks so well done and awesome, INSTA-BUY FOR ME! so don't make me wait ;)

4. Ashflow

Ashflow Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2011
    MI
    May I re-suggest my control scheme? (On pg. 2)

5. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Why not just consider multiple control schemes? As long as they all work well, I think people will accept them. Death Rally got into a big silly brew over the lack of alternate controls a month ago.

6. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
  7. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
  8. K7A7O7S

K7A7O7S Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Full time something...
    St Louis, MO USA
    Wow, I'm impressed, and fairly sure that "No Time To Explain" would have quite the market (in light of all the platformer success as of late) in the Iphone appstore. I look forward to hearing more.

When it comes to Iphone controls, people seem to forget that there are more options than onscreen buttons or dual stick. Its about ingenuity, which I'm SURE you gentlemen possess. There are some good ideas here, but ultimitely it comes down to playin' around with the options until you find something that works properly for the desired outcome.

Much love, I look forward to this one, instabuy, if indeed, it makes its way to the Iphone. Otherwise I (at least) hope it makes it to the PSP :))

Cheers!

9. tinyBuild

tinyBuild Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2011
    Thanks for the support guys!

We can tell you that now the game is definitely coming to the iOS. BUT we're not going for a direct port or anything like that.

We're about to launch a closed level editing session with the backers from Kickstarter, some of the levels will go into the "desktop" version of the game for PC/Mac/Linux. Then we're going to finish off that version and move onto the mobile.

After playing around with the Touch-controls, it feels like making a direct port wouldn't give the title justice. So it's going to be set in the same game-universe, but with a _different_ gameplay mechanic (no, not a physics puzzle!!!).

10. boo7600

boo7600 Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2011
    What do you mean by different gameplay mechanic?

11. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Awesome! Can't wait for this and the Mac version!! :)

12. K7A7O7S

K7A7O7S Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Full time something...
    St Louis, MO USA
    I'm not sure if this was mentioned, but I feel that a D-pad (left bottom of screen, for movement) and an analog stick (right bottom of screen, for boost) could work (or vice versa.) Basically the whole game (on PC) is controlled with the mouse and the arrow keys, correct? It might take getting used to, but every IOS games controls take a little getting used to. Just a suggestion, since you are talking of changing the whole games mechanics.....

13. SosemoPower

SosemoPower Member

May 17, 2011
    Looks Awesome! Yes, bring it to iOS

14. tinyBuild

tinyBuild Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2011
  15. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Hopefully this means encouraging quicksaves and 5 minutes enjoyment bursts, not stripping out entire levels for shitty minigames.

16. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Agreed. The whole "iPhone games are played only in 3 minute chunks" assumption is a myth anyway.

17. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Indeed. EA had a study showing that the biggest chunk of "mobile gaming" is actually done at home.

In any case Gameloft and EA proved that longer games have a place on the market and you don't have to break up whole experiences into 3-5 minutes bits, just game saves. Meaning either having frequent save slots or a "save anywhere anytime" system.

18. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Game came out for PC yesterday.

19. Kartel

Kartel Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2009
    Any updates on this game? There seems to be quite a roster for platformers coming soon.

20. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009