Universal Shufflepuck Cantina (+ GOLD) by Agharta Studio

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Sep 12, 2012.

1. aghartastudio

aghartastudio Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Game designer/ director
    Lyon, France
    Keep it installed, the game only takes 30mb
    update with Practice difficulty will be out next week if all goes well

2. amn624

amn624 Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2008
    publisher
    Nassau County, NY
    Yup. I finally gave up after finally making up to the second floor, looking around and seeing the exact same stuff as on the first floor, just harder. Whoopee.

Concrete goals that play like a Campaign with multiple settings for difficulty would have interested me a lot and would have been the only way to rope me into IAPs.

I'm not shy when it comes to spending $, but not to endure frustration.

Btw, the token machine is ridiculous. It is such a poor bet that there's simply no point in playing unless you like to look at Skulls.

Oh well. I still think Agharta is great but this could have been a lot more fun (should have been).

3. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    I don't think the token machine is rediculous. Yes, your odds are under 50% (half the cards are skulls and the multiplier cards only do you good if your next pick matches the multiplier's type) but I have still managed to earn quite a bit of experience and Credz due to the generous rate tokens are given out. It just requires jumping in the app periodically for a moment.

I do agree that the difficulty of this game is high, but I am hoping when I finally get some upgrades, I can compete with a character other then Furry.

4. aghartastudio

Oct 3, 2008
    Game designer/ director
    Lyon, France
    There is always 3 skulls out out the 8 cards in the slotmachine .

5. vicsark

vicsark Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Hi,
    Thks for your advice!
    I had been saving 10k coins after getting the terrace and decided to look for info of what I should buy here.
    My first instinct was to buy a larger "maillet" but instead I unlocked Harobed.
    Thks to her ability, I just made 51 in survival against Fury and more than a thousand coins (with the doubling feature) in one game.
    looking forward to learn her ability.

Tbh I'd really like iCloud support, so I could play on both devices (only playing on iPad now and it's gorgeous)

Loved Shufflepuck Cafe on my Atari St, and I'm really happy you did this!

Keep up the good work!
    Merci ;)

6. amn624

amn624 Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2008
    publisher
    Nassau County, NY
    Under 50%? Heh. Try 17.9% to get three positives. Two is really not enough because you can get a 2X and 1 credz which is just pathetically silly and a waste of time. Running the table (or in this case, the machine) is 1.8%. Wow.

A "generous" rate for awarding of tokens is meaningless when the payout is anything but generous. The machine stopped being fun after I got Skulls 4 times in a row on my first try. Guess what? That's an even higher probability than getting zero Skulls with 5 tries.

I wanted to love this.

[EDIT] just so I'm not misunderstood here, I love Agharta and think they do marvelous work. Absolutely loved 1112.

7. aghartastudio

Oct 3, 2008
    Game designer/ director
    Lyon, France
    you can actually win a lot in the gift machine but probability is a bitch^^

8. slewis7

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    #148 slewis7, Sep 21, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2012
    There is hope!

I finally was able to grind out 10000 Credz and bought the repulsor puck. Prior to that I struggled with Harobed. Now I consistently beat her, but sadly her movements remain a distraction ;-). I even beat M4rv1n for the first time. Furry is now a joke; I got up to 37 in Survival and got bored and messed up. Second floor characters are still a bitch. I will grind for a better paddle, but the grinding is going much faster now.

If you like this game and are struggling, either grind or spend some bucks, but stick with it.

Edit: I bought the triangular mallet for 5000 Credz and I find playing with it to be more difficult. I advise to skip that one.

9. CaseyRobinson

CaseyRobinson Active Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Developer
    I think I must be in the target demographic for this game(Shufflepuck Cafe fans), because I'm finding the difficulty just about right. I picked up the statue because I thought the devs would like to eat, and maybe heat their homes this winter. Also because I would like them to create more content for this and I don't see that happening without some $$. Guess I should go write a review too.

I'd like to see a new game mode added that is a series of duels against all the players on the current floor (or across all floors if they are all unlocked). The player would have to win them all to get the credz/xp reward.

I'd love to see some more animations for the opponents, getting shot at after every point is getting a bit old. Maybe they could also look a little more confused by my special shot, so they don't look quite so stupid when they don't move to intercept a weak killer snake.

I wonder about how fair the token machine is. My current EV for tokens is 37Cz, 125Xp, and 1/5 of a token. That's with a 10K Cz win, without that the EV is more like 5Cz. Anyone else bother to compute these values?

10. carlisimo

carlisimo Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2009
    It's true that it gets better. When I first started, I couldn't beat Furry in duels even after half an hour of trying. Then someone pointed out that the opponents have tells, i.e. they give away which direction they're going to serve the puck. Furry's is particularly easy.

I'm not at the point where I can get ten straight points against anyone in Survival mode, but I last long enough to rack up credz, and win plenty of duels on the ground floor. I'm enjoying it. The low rate of credz accumulation is a bit annoying; it seems like a long game (in hours) to finish. Maybe too long. Given the difficulty level and length, I'm pretty sure I'll never finish. On the other hand I don't think it's fair to call it 'grinding' since shufflepuck IS the game.

I would like to complain about the prize machine though. Winning 10 credz feels just like losing... 10 credz is practically nothing. 1 cred is a slap in the face. Multiplying it by 3 doesn't feel much better. The prize machine might as well not exist. I guess it isn't too bad for experience points, but those don't feel like they have much value for me either. Credz are just too hard to come by.

I'd also prefer if the 'back' button were available more often. Like always. Whenever it's blacked out, I wish I could use it. I also want a way to quit out of a match (especially a two-player match, when I accidentally tap on the game table).

But so far, so good. It's a beautiful game.

11. slewis7

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    Holley Moley, I just won 10,000 Credz in the card game! Awesome!

12. slewis7

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    That big payout on the card game allowed me to acquire the extra wide mallet. That combined with the repulsor puck allows me to beat all level 1 and 2 characters pretty consistently to where it is almost boring. We will see what happens when I get enough Credz to open up level 3.

13. aghartastudio

Oct 3, 2008
    Game designer/ director
    Lyon, France
    level 3 is not a lot harder than level 2, i'd said 1,5x harder when embodying harobed with max Special strike and the repulsor it should be a piece of cake to grind:)

14. slewis7

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX

Thanks for the tip. I love this game!

15. DrOmega

DrOmega New Member

Sep 24, 2012
    #155 DrOmega, Sep 24, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2012
    Game is great so far. Easily got to third level on iPad. Dunno why people complain that it is hard they must have the reflexes of a drunken elephant. The hardest character seems to be the lion dude on 3rd floor, his special is super fast. the w4sp guy I find easy now and grind him in bet mode, I get 1000 credits in about 30 secs.

Hey Devs: Wifi multiplayer with tournements etc would be amazing but is it feasible? What kind of latency would you need to be competitve? have you done internal testing?

16. aghartastudio

Oct 3, 2008
    Game designer/ director
    Lyon, France
    The is a new update out on the appstore:
    It allow you to choose a training mode against each opponent

People who had trouble winning game should be happy now:)

there is still the "challenge" mode available for those who had no probleme with the difficulty!

17. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    I'm getting better and fuzzy is easy to beat even on regular almost easier but I'm sure he's the easiest anyway and the robot and Star Wars dancer are still a pain

18. aghartastudio

Oct 3, 2008
    Game designer/ director
    Lyon, France
    they are twice dwloer than before + there catching rate is twice lower !

19. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    I gave up this game because of the difficulty, but might give it a shot again. But I had one question, in training mode, do you still progress through the game? Or is it really just "training" and in order to advance to different floors, etc., you need to beat the original mode?

20. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    Now make the cards easier lol