Universal Silversword - RPG (Bard's Tale '85 homage)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by undeadcow, Dec 13, 2011.

1. Joshnsuch

Joshnsuch Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Louisville
    Did this latest update make IAP required? I saw in the notes that your game won't save unless you buy an IAP. It just isn't too clear.

2. nightc1

nightc1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    Wow. That does read as if you pay $4 then are required to buy an IAP in order to save.

3. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #83 undeadcow, Jun 22, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2013
    I updated and can save perfectly fine. IAP is still totally optional.

The update I assume just ensures if you IAP then it autosaves to protect progress that includes the IAP versus dying and losing IAP unintentionally.

4. Joshnsuch

Joshnsuch Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Louisville
    That's what I figured it was, but it definitely reads a bit weird and could be interpreted in a number of ways. Thanks for the feedback.

5. uhm that was NOT intended, very sorry.

IAP are still totally optional. I had a bug report from someone who bought a bag of gold, and then the game was shut down. Upon restarting, the gold was gone, because the game was not saved before. This should not happen anymore.

Kind regards
    Mario

6. German translation now live! And more save slots in 2.3.8

Hello friends!

Sorry to spam you with more update information ;-)

The new update (2.3.8) is live! In addition to the german translation (you can switch the language via your Settings App), some changes might make the game more enjoyable:

- TRZP is now grayed out if nobody knows the spell when encountering a chest
    - More save slots available!
    - Adjusted the position of the target groups in the combat target selection

Have fun!
    Kind regards
    Mario

As always, most of the changes are based on player's wishes.

7. tblrsa

tblrsa Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2009
    Vienna
    German Translation? Nice, will pick this up. Hope this plays well enough on my iPhone 5. :)

8. tblrsa

tblrsa Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2009
    Vienna
    #88 tblrsa, Sep 17, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2013
    Uhm, guys, I feel kinda stupid about this, but how do i actually level my chars? They show a Plus Sign and are marked green, but tapping it does nothing. Going through the Char Stats does not show anything to level them either. I´m playing on the iPhone 5 on iOS 7 if this is of any help.

Guidance in this matter would be much appreciated. ;)

9. Gilgilad

Gilgilad Well-Known Member

May 15, 2013
    You have to go to the training hall to level you up. It might have another name, I honestly can't think of what the place is called, but I remember there is one in the first town. This style of leveling up is very much a homage to the Bard's Tale series of the 80s.

10. tblrsa

tblrsa Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2009
    Vienna
    Alright, thank you. :)

11. Mj1ggy

Mj1ggy Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2012
    Thanks for the repeat sale, as I was much more interested in the game at the lower price point and now may be inclined to buy some of the IAP. My first impression is that the game is HARD at first; it's really hard to venture out for more than a few battles without getting your health sapped. An inn or somewhere you could heal for cheap in the first area would be nice.

12. GaZ-OiD

GaZ-OiD Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    London, UK
    Agreed, I got to the Watch tower and was attacked by 20 Rats in one attack, which easily overwhelmed my novice party. I'm also thinking the game is hard to get into and should be easier at the start :) but I also love this type of game from years gone by and will stick with it because I can see the potential outweighing the initial frustration.

Could anyone give me some info on the compendium? Thanks

13. RichRuzz

RichRuzz Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2012
    I REALLY enjoy this game but can't ever put together a proper team to start playing and enjoy. It's VERY intimidating and I've bought the guide and all that too.

14. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Maybe the developer could put together an IAP easy mode for those of us who just like to explore, but I get the feeling that Silversword is aimed squarely at the hardcore Bard's Tale and Wizardry fans, so it is unlikely.

15. GaZ-OiD

May 8, 2012
    London, UK
    I'm going to give this game and the Dev some love so this is constructive criticism not a bashing from a mature gamer with 30 years experience of games. I can see why there is so many game hours in this games because the balance between combat and exploration imho is wrong. After seven hours of near non stop combat sometimes against many time consuming foes, the game feels like I'm treading in treacle and getting nowhere fast. Every few moves forward Is simply one attack after another and totally kills the flow of the game. After killing seven creatures to move three steps forward and be met by ten more becomes monotonous, again this is in my humble opinion. The game needs to give the player time to explore as well and enjoy without constant bombardment. For me exploration is as much fun as combat but I find the game is unbalanced and becoming very repetitious. Thanks for reading, views from all are welcome and this is meant to be a CONSTRUCTIVE post :)

16. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Wasn't what you just described, continuous waves of monster encounters, the essence of The Bard's Tale, which Silversword is paying homage to?

17. GaZ-OiD

May 8, 2012
    London, UK
    Then I have missed the point of this game and that's my fault.

It does what it says on the tin then but gameplay has moved on and bringing this style of retro game into the 21st century would have been top banana! (This more involved style not the newer Bards tale in the App Store)

But I do now realise what the whole point of this game is now so fair play to the Dev and I will try to turn the clock back a generation when I had more patience and better battle strategies than I do today lol :)

18. It's really the point of the game ;-)
    I grew up with The Bard's Tale 1-3, lots of grinding, every step could be your last... and slowly you will raise up your characters, find new spots, find new tactics (hint: use a bard, play "travellers ditty" - this will remove the random encounters and only gives you fixed ones), until the story unfolds.
    I already have gotten some really bad reviews, because the reviewers just didn't like that kind of game. And I do not want to compete with modern RPGs - I simply can't. It's not my goal. I want to revive the original Bard's Tale grindfest feeling and nostalgica - and improve it step by step.
    If you really don't like it - ask Apple for a reimbursement. Alternatively send me a saved game via the ingame mail function and I will add some gold to your party, making it easier for you (so that you don't have to buy IAPs).

Speaking of the game...

here are the news for the actual update 2.3.9:

This new version needs at least iOS 6.1! Do NOT update if you are still playing on iOS 5.x!

- language can be changed from the settings screen in the game (you have to restart the game afterwards)
    - some language fixes for german
    - music plays now during bard songs, you can adjust the volume in the settings screen
    - game center activation is no longer available from within the game, you have to use your Settings App
    - you can now switch between the normal manual and the compendium (if you bought it)

I already noticed that the music volume slider is not right aligned on the iPhone 5, this will be fixed with the next update.

Don't hesitate to contact me if you feel something is wrong.

Kind regards
    Mario

19. Drummerboycroy

Drummerboycroy Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2012
    Clinician
    Maine!
    Mario, if I (really) enjoyed the latest Bard's Tale but haven't played the others, would it be safe to assume I will enjoy Ss?

DBC

20. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    This here is what I appreciate about Silversword.
    If you are referring to the Playstation 2 era The Bard's Tale action RPG then you might find the originals and Silversword to be shockingly different. If you have The Bard's Tale port on iOS it contains the PC originals as free downloads within the app and I recommend you try those first. As a first person dungeon methodical dungeon crawler SilverSword is great but it is no action RPG.